JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tried the VM to run an older windows software inside Ubuntu and didnt like it, I found it was easier to just do a dual boot... I had issues accessing USB ports in the VM and you have to split your system resources. If your down to just one old windows software program you need occasionally the hard drive space for windows can be set super small.

If anyone really wants to experience super fast Linux boot up Puppy Linux from a thumb drive, the entire OS loads into memory and runs from there no installation required and super lightweight operating system at only 210mb. Also Puppy Linux will read the data on any HD thats went bad or crashed and you lost all your documents or photos.... A lot of people are hesitant to dive into Linux and I get it but what Ive found the more you use Linux the more computing resources you have to work with, especially for older computers.

Dang you guys have me wanting to install a Linux distro on one of my SSD USB hdd's and let my Mac's power run it.

@Joe13, if you want a tower that needs a hdd let me know. It's 2011 flavor and Windows based stuff. 4GB RAM, 2.5 duo core E5200 processors. Could make a reasonable secondary machine. I replaced it with the Mac to escape Windows. It has a 1? GB video card and an onboard SATA expanded in the PCIe slot so you could run dual hard drives if you want.

Wife and I are heading to the 'Couve tomorrow (Saturday) to see her grandpa. It handled Win7 fine until Win10 screwed the hard drive up.

Send me a message on here if interested...

Dang you guys have me wanting to install a Linux distro on one of my SSD USB hdd's and let my Mac's power run it.

@Joe13, if you want a tower that needs a hdd let me know. It's 2011 flavor and Windows based stuff. 4GB RAM, 2.5 duo core E5200 processors. Could make a reasonable secondary machine. I replaced it with the Mac to escape Windows. It has a 1? GB video card and an onboard SATA expanded in the PCIe slot so you could run dual hard drives if you want.

Wife and I are heading to the 'Couve tomorrow (Saturday) to see her grandpa. It handled Win7 fine until Win10 screwed the hard drive up.

Send me a message on here if interested...

Really appreciate the offer bro but windows would kill my nerves at this point lol.

I usually live on the trailing edge of technology, but sometimes slip off. I've been running Windows XP on my computers and had to upgrade one of them to Windows 7 a couple months ago. My hardware is old, but it does everything I need it to do, so buying a newer system doesn't make sense.

I haven't read the whole thread, but let me comment anyway.

First, I am kind of in the same boat; I have a 2011 MBA which is occasionally reminding me to update to the latest OSX, as does Chrome. This is mostly due to security upgrades and I understand that - I am just a bad procrastinator so I haven't done it yet.

Second, I am a software developer. I have been in the profession for over 25 years. So I know why software needs to be upgraded - be patient with me if someone has already gone over this:

1) No for profit software development org can afford to maintain more than a few major versions of their software. It would require adding as much staff as they currently have for each version they need to maintain, and new development would slow to a crawl. A HUGE amount of work, effort and time goes into writing and testing software. The only reason it is profitable for most orgs is because once it is written and tested and release, the cost of reproduction is minimal, but for any non-trivial software each of the professionals involved usually make six figure salaries, and their cost to the org is generally twice their salary.

This is all the more true for those for profit orgs that put out software like an operating system, an office suite or a browser - especially operating systems.

2) With any software, generally when major changes are made, either to fix defects, improve security, or support new features, it is often very difficult to impossible to retrofit those changes into previous versions of the software. To do so would often mean basically changing the software such that you wind up in the same place that the newer version did. Even if you can retrofit, you often wind up with less than desirable results. Generally, you are usually much better off going to the newer version.

This is why usually only trivial updates are retrofitted to a previous version, and why some even older versions simply are not supported - because it isn't possible/feasible to do so, neither financially nor technically. Many changes get you to a place with the software in question, where you wind up having to upgrade, you can't go back.

It isn't always because they want to charge you a fee; OSX upgrades have been more or less free for quite a while. Most browsers are free and have been for quite a while.

Yes - hardware isn't free, but generally you don't have to upgrade as often as hardware manufacturers would like you to. My laptop is 5 years old. My MacPro is 8+ years old. They are both still supported. My MBA can upgrade to Sierra. My MP can probably upgrade to El Capitan. That is probably good enough since Apple still supports El Capitan.

With hardware you again run into issues - new features sometimes require newer hardware features, and often that ripples out and it often becomes a nightmare to degrade gracefully (do without a particular platform feature) - with security issues, it is usually impossible.

My wife updated our laptop with windows 10 and it's an effin nightmare. I don't even know how to find my pictures let alone if they are all still there.
Being highly resistant to change, aka grumpy old man, I use Classic Shell. It reverts your start menu to Windows 7 style.
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

AOL-1996-vs.-Microsoft-Windows-8_zpsjg2luxuu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I run Win10 in various VMs for platform testing of the software I write as we have to support it. I dislike the flat look and I dislike the tiled menu system. Sometimes it is okay, most of the time it is not.

There are other features of Win 10 that have improved. E.G., scaling; with the new high DPI displays, especially those with a small physical size, Win 10 has much better scaling of UI components than does Win 7/8. Unless you want to be looking at your laptop screen with a magnifying glass, or downgrading the resolution to half native, this is an important improvement.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top