JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I see all these get togethers of people open carrying at a denny's, starbucks, a burgershack, etc, etc. How about doing something has a more positive message, other than just "we're here and we're normal just like you"?

How about doing stuff for our communities while open carrying as a group? Something like cleaning up/painting over graffiti, cleaning up a park, etc.?

I think that it would do a couple different things, all positive for us, our communities, and the outlook people have on gun owners and those who carry them.

1: It would send a positive message of what type of people gun owners are, not just regular people who go about their day to day, but also people who care and give back to their communities.

2: It would help our neighborhoods, towns and cities look better and be safer for everyone.

3: In cases where there is graffiti it would also send a message to whomever did them (if they see while the cleanup is in process) that the people in the community aren't intimidated and don't want that kind of stuff going on where we live.

4: It would be a good way for some of us to get together and possibly have a bbq at the park we cleaned up or go somewhere afterwards.

5: It'd just be fun to do, the weather is getting nice and I know some people like me who don't have a yard, like doing projects outside and don't get a chance to at their own home.

Personally, around my neighborhood (apartment complex) I'll go around and cleanup whatever trash gets thrown on the ground, mainly beer cans and cigarette packs. There is also some graffiti that gets put on things around here I cleanup. This is a really nice community, but I think there's just a couple of yahoos around here that are making a mess of it.
As I have said before, I open carry most of the time and do so while doing this.
While cleaning up and walking my dogs I'll talk to the neighbors and such, while most of them don't notice, those who do don't change their demeanor at all as they can tell what kind of person I am from the way I carry myself, my actions, and my attitude.

Anyways I think if we can get some events put together this summer it would be a great thing for everyone. Who's with me, and who has any ideas of places we could do or dates that would work for everyone?

Excellent post and idea. Although I very seldom open carry (just my preference), this, as you said, is a way not just to make a statement about 2A rights, but to get involved in our community. I think it would say we're not just 2A zealots trying to get into people's faces about our rights, but just like anybody else that cares about our community. We just happen to exercise our 2A rights while doing so.

Is there an area you are considering for your efforts? How do we get local govt to support us, or at least not stand in our way?

Good Idea.:) It will be hard to get people together to do work. For free.
Get people together for some BSin and coffee, much easier.
We all want to show support for our rights, but after working all week long, the want to work on a week end, is all but gone.
Good idea tho.
JMHO
Dave

I wasn't really thinking about getting local government to support us doing it, just doing it with stuff we may already have, such as cleaning supplies, trashbags, etc. Just a bunch of us donating our time and resources to help the community out.

As far as them getting in our way, as long as we're not like planting stuff, or digging stuff up, like adding something in permanently, or taking something out that should be there (like trees, bushes, picnic tables, etc) we should be fine without needing any permits or anything. Just cleaning stuff up should be fine. I'm not 100% sure on that, but seems like those should be good guidelines. If anyone knows more about this, I'd sure like to hear it.

As far as area, I'm not sure exactly, I think if we did it in Hillsboro area we would be fine, as even those without an OR CHL could come and open carry with us without issue. I'm not sure on any specifics, I'm out and about quite a bit in the day for work so I can definitely keep an eye out for areas that could use our help. None come to mind off the top of my head, but I know there are definitely some areas that need it.

Good point Tattoo, that's why I was thinking do a cleanup and then a BBQ at the park afterwards. Kinda like how we have shooting pit cleanups and shooting afterwards. A little incentive for people.

What about Shute Park? I haven't been there in years, but the last time I was there was a free concert and people left all kinds of trash around. What about volunteering for clean up after some free concerts this Summer, if in fact they do them.? Although, I think a lot of that stuff has moved into downtown Hillsboro since they opened the Community Center there right across from the Courthouse.

The Open Carry members around the Tacoma area sponsor a section of I-5 in the Fife area.

adopt-a-highway.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top