JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry for the Lord of the Rings reference, for some reason that popped into my mind, and don't worry, this isn't a "which rifle is the best" thread. . . sort of. So I'm a pretty tight budget and I can really only justify owning one rifle and one handgun. I'm pretty happy with the handgun I own(HK45) but the rifle I have is a Saiga 223 and it's OK. I converted it myself so it has a pistol grip and improved trigger but all in all it's not what I would want for my only rifle. So my budget is probably about $1200 at the absolute max and I would prefer to not even pay that. But I'm in fits settling on a solid tactical type rifle that is a good, fun plinking, all around type gun. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Here is a short list of what I am considering to see where I stand:

1. Stag Model 8, maybe with the plus package( what I'm leaning towards)
2. Czech Sa vz. 58 ( looks nice enough and a good price)
3. FAL type rifle, like a PTR 91 or something (too much gun?)
4. Arsenal AK (too close to what I have?)

Any other ideas? Just stick with what I have? Thanks for the help!

a fal and a ptr are different platforms.

the ptr 91 is a hk91 copy, which is a semi-auto only G3, which is a CETME.

the ptr would be my vote, and no its not too much gun.

What about an AR with two uppers? Combos could be something a vanilla as 223 upper with 22lr upper (cheap and then cheaper to shoot or in this case a 22 conversion bolt assembly) of 223 upper and (6.5 Grendal, 6.8 SPC, 300 Blackout, 450 Bushmaster, 500 Bewoulf) 223 uppers can be had for $350-500 lowers for $200 and you would have two rifles in your price range.

How about, some sort of blued or stainless lever action rifle in a magnum handgun caliber.

I have been fighting the idea that I really must have one in .454 Casull.

It would most certainly be my precious.

Last Edited:
I would suggest a build your own AR for $650. A .22 conversion kit with two mags $175. Ten mil surp mags at $5 to $10each and the rest in ammo. That's not only what I would suggest, it's what I did and am doing for my two daughters too.

One rifle to rule them all? A pre 64 Model 70!

No doubt, especially if you are a bolt action toting hunter.

One rifle to rule them all is such a wide spectrum, though. For me, the main reason to have a rifle is for hunting. I would have gladly bought a Pre-64 Model 70 but wanted a stainless gun. I got a Kimber Montana. Couldn't be much more of a direct copy of the Pre-64 Model 70.

But, if I was to have other thoughts about the use of a rifle and have only one, I like the idea of an AR type of gun with more than one upper.

Fortunately I don't have to have just one rifle.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It was a big help.

So I think I'm convinced the AR platform will be the best option. I completely overlooked the fact that I can essentially have multiple "guns" by just having multiple uppers, even if it's only a 22lr upper to plink around with.

So related to that, quick question. If I did get the stag model 8, being that it is a piston driven rifle, would that affect my options for uppers?

I have a DPMS Recon. I have been very pleased with it so far. I think the price on it is around $950.00. You can always upgrade it to suit your style as you get the funding (that's what I've done any how and have been very pleased with it!)

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It was a big help.

So I think I'm convinced the AR platform will be the best option. I completely overlooked the fact that I can essentially have multiple "guns" by just having multiple uppers, even if it's only a 22lr upper to plink around with.

So related to that, quick question. If I did get the stag model 8, being that it is a piston driven rifle, would that affect my options for uppers?

No lowers are same, piston is on the upper. Stag are not bad guns at all, but for that price you can do better!! Look at BCM, DD, LMT, etc.

I really don't see the need for a piston upper, though I wouldn't mind having one... I would spend the money for a better barrel before I would spend the money for a piston upper. I've owned 5 AR all gas inpengment without any issue (and four issued to me while serving Uncle Sam) and never had an issue with the gas inpengment system. Now all but two of my AR's have been carbine gas length system, if I were you I would look for mid length gas system or rifle length.

It really is the right move for a one gun approach.

:s0154: If you want a piston driven carbine get an AK. Pistons on AR are addressing a non-existent problem and introduce other issues.

But to to answer your question, No.

If you really want a Piston 5.56 I would check out a used SIG depending on your budget over the AK. Maybe it's because I haven't dealt with any tricked AK's but I just can't get on board with their ergonomics and terrible sights.

Tits I agree with your statement about Pistons fixing a non-existing problem on AR's but I dislike cleaning them profusely lol.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top