JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That phrase has nothing to do with having multiples of the same thing because you'll always have one when you need one. It's about redundant capability, not redundant gear.

If you don't understand that, which is evident by the thread, ask yourself if you're actually willing to learn, or just complain to a group that something doesn't make sense to you?
It's more of an aphorism for the value of redundancy, whether it be hardware or software. There's no rules on how it can be applied.

My first recollection of hearing it was while securing cargo. ie: N+1 approach. Should one strap or chain fail, you still have enough to keep your cargo where it's supposed to be without overloading your existing hardware.

I've struggled a lot in my adult life with all of the things I have and keeping them organized. Spare cars, lawn care equipment, tractor and implements, tools, trailers, hiking gear, hunting gear, four wheeler, etc. I could go on and on. Some people are happiest being minimalists and I have striven to move into that mindset the last few years. I could definitely improve my life by getting rid of a few things and I'm trying to, but I could never be a true minimalist. I'm too poor for one thing! I can't afford to just have my car serviced or repaired at the going rate, especially when I'm perfectly capable so I keep my tools around. I can't afford to rent a tractor or implements when needed so I have that stuff. While I totally get the OP's point and agree with him it's just not my reality. The root of the issue is that we're all consumers and that we buy stuff we don't truly need. I know I do! I've tracked my purchases over the years and I'm most likely to buy frivolous stuff in the fall and winter months. Not because I need them, but because I'm bored! The men from previous generations in my family had very few firearms and killed more game then I ever will! They weren't constantly looking at new stuff cause they were broke!

Like many things....
Having multiple items can be helpful.
Commonly used items like TP , socks , etc...very good to extras...
Multiple lovers....not so much...wait...wrong forum.... :eek: :D

On a more serious firearm note....
Extra magazines , if your firearm uses them...are good to have extras of...
Ammo....multiple boxes / cases of... again good to have extras of....
Extras of the same or damn near the same firearm....ehh...
I suppose...if...you want and can afford to do so.

In any event ...
It always best to do what works for you and your situation...and not what works for the other guy and his situation
Andy

Exactly this. Very few of us carry a BUG, but I'll wager most carry a spare mag or two.

Also, I feel a bit left out as I currently own only 4 tape measures, as best I can tell. I'm almost positive I know where three of them are right now. Or maybe two of them... Dammit, one for sure. I saw it yesterday.

Standard screwdrivers. Everything is phillips nowadays so when I need a standard, I usually check toolbox, toolbox #2, car trunk, drawers, etc.
Go to kitchen.
20240424_091341.jpg

Exactly this. Very few of us carry a BUG, but I'll wager most carry a spare mag or two.

Also, I feel a bit left out as I currently own only 4 tape measures, as best I can tell. I'm almost positive I know where three of them are right now. Or maybe two of them... Dammit, one for sure. I saw it yesterday.
Last tape measure I bought has a camouflage plastic housing.
It has been missing since I got it home.

True story! I got some camo walkie talkies years ago. When they get dropped in the woods they're just gone! I replaced them with bright yellow ones.

Most of my GMRS radios have yellow on them somewhere. But not all of them... Haven't lost one yet but they are usually clipped inside a jacket or on a belt with a remote mic.

Every self proclaimed operator always states that one is none and two is one. Now, apply that to a tape measure, or a set of nail clippers, or even a phone charger. The more of these things I have, the more I'm looking for them. When it comes to my personal protection firearm, I alway know where it's at. All that other sh!t I have multiples of, I am constantly looking for them and buying more of them.
In before @solv3nt …..

two words: PRISON WALLET!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews