JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really love what I've put together...but I think I may have let it get a bit out of hand. After all the receipts have been added up, this $500 carbine (KelTec Sub2000 Gen2 for Glock 22 in 40S&W) has become a build that cost over 2 G's. :eek::confused:o_O:(:) And I wouldn't have it any other way. It is exactly what I want, and that is the point of personalizing guns, right?

My use? This is for self defense when I need the ability to fold it up and stow it away. For example, during the eclipse, I chose to drive into the totality zone and nobody knew if it would become crazy town with traffic (it didn't). I just wanted to be ready. With a Glock 22 on my hip and this thing folded up behind the car seat, I felt pretty good.

IMG_3527.jpg

Above, you'll see a big part of the cost is the Octane 45 screwed to the muzzle.

IMG_3528.jpg

Above you can see the Magpul AFG2, a Crimson Trace Rail Master GREEN laser since my wife prefers lasers over sights or red dots since she is cross-eye dominant. Easy to turn on from the angled grip. You can also see the Trijicon RMR07 angled to the side so I can fold the rifle. It includes a Magpul rail piece, a Weaver 1 o'clock offset picatinny mount, a Yankee Hill 1/2" riser to give it that last bit of height for my preference, and a Trijicon low picatinny mount for the RDS.

IMG_3529.jpg

My desired VTAC Blue Force QD padded sling requires a mounting point fore and aft. I had to drill 3 holes in the stock to install this Magpul QD point and used an M-Lok QD mount for the front.

IMG_3530.jpg

One mag option I have is a 22rd Glock mag with a +3 from Taylor Freelance for 25 rounds. This photo of the Sub2000 folded up is this carbine's claim to fame. If I chose to remove the suppressor, it could be even shorter, but it takes a long time (if under attack) to screw on a can. I prefer to leave it on.

IMG_3531.jpg

From Tacticool I got this neoprene cover. The moment I decided to buy this was when I shot this PCC while 25 degrees out. Ahhh! Cold steel against naked cheek was no fun. But it requires you to use the longest stock setting to not have to cut the cover. Fine with me! Even though I'm only 5'10", the longest stock setting works for me. Thus, this carbine might feel too small for a tall guy unless you find some sort of shoulder pad that would work for you. Below, that's an MCarbo charging handle. Really works for me, better than the 1-finger stock unit.

IMG_3532.jpg IMG_3533.jpg

You can't quite see everything above, but I changed out the trigger (steel feels better for me), the springs (much smoother and lighter trigger), trigger guard (I would NOT do this again, in fact I may switch it back out), and some upgraded screws, all from MCarbo. They came out with a cool extended mag release button after I did this stuff. If I buy it, I may remove the trigger guard while installing the mag button. The stock trigger guard allows a one-handed take-down with your thumb, but this "upgraded" part is too smooth and requires 2 hands to actuate.

IMG_3534.jpg

To round out this self-defense lovable monstrosity, I've got a Streamlight flashlight, mounted to a Magpul M-Lok picatinny rail piece with a FAB defense 1" offset mount. This mount is quick release without a tool so I can take off the light to use it off the rifle, if necessary. This set up keeps the folded carbine as slim as possible with still having a light on one side and a red dot hanging off the other side.

I've done the math, which ends up around $2200, I think. Wow, this build added up. I may end up switching out the RMR for a Vortex, which could drop it below $2000, but I love it as it is. And one word about 40 over 9: The main detraction of 40 is that the recoil, greater than 9, makes follow-up shots a bit more difficult. But that is in a handgun. In a carbine, especially with the can attached, this caliber gets me a significant amount of power over a 9, but without much extra recoil. If this was a range toy or a competition rig (for USPSA PCC), I think 9mm would be better. But for self defense in a shoulder-fired carbine, I'm really liking 40!!

Okay, y'all, it's time....

:s0024:FLAME!

Last Edited:
Hey its your gun and if you are happy with it , then there ya go.
I think everyone should a gun that is completely theirs ...As in just how they want it and have it work for just what they want it for.
Andy

Thanks Chris,
Well I do wonder where the ramrod goes....:confused::eek::D
We all like different rifles ...I do like how you thought out what you wanted and put on the rifle...instead of just hanging on the latest and greatest piece of tech on the rifle , and calling it good.
Andy
He's genuine in his compliments (as he is in everything he does), but I'm pretty sure that @AndyinEverson threw up a little in his mouth when he saw this plastic fantastic!

I really love what I've put together...but I think I may have let it get a bit out of hand. After all the receipts have been added up, this $500 carbine (KelTec Sub2000 Gen2 for Glock 22 in 40S&W) has become a build that cost over 2 G's. :eek::confused:o_O:(:) And I wouldn't have it any other way. It is exactly what I want, and that is the point of personalizing guns, right?

My use? This is for self defense when I need the ability to fold it up and stow it away. For example, during the eclipse, I chose to drive into the totality zone and nobody knew if it would become crazy town with traffic (it didn't). I just wanted to be ready. With a Glock 22 on my hip and this thing folded up behind the car seat, I felt pretty good.

View attachment 391907

Above, you'll see a big part of the cost is the Octane 45 screwed to the muzzle.

View attachment 391908

Above you can see the Magpul AFG2, a Crimson Trace Rail Master GREEN laser since my wife prefers lasers over sights or red dots since she is cross-eye dominant. Easy to turn on from the angled grip. You can also see the Trijicon RMR07 angled to the side so I can fold the rifle. It includes a Magpul rail piece, a Weaver 1 o'clock offset picatinny mount, a Yankee Hill 1/2" riser to give it that last bit of height for my preference, and a Trijicon low picatinny mount for the RDS.

View attachment 391909

My desired VTAC Blue Force QD padded sling requires a mounting point fore and aft. I had to drill 3 holes in the stock to install this Magpul QD point and used an M-Lok QD mount for the front.

View attachment 391910

One mag option I have is a 22rd Glock mag with a +3 from Taylor Freelance for 25 rounds. This photo of the Sub2000 folded up is this carbine's claim to fame. If I chose to remove the suppressor, it could be even shorter, but it takes a long time (if under attack) to screw on a can. I prefer to leave it on.

View attachment 391911

From Tacticool I got this neoprene cover. The moment I decided to buy this was when I shot this PCC while 25 degrees out. Ahhh! Cold steel against naked cheek was no fun. But it requires you to use the longest stock setting to not have to cut the cover. Fine with me! Even though I'm only 5'10", the longest stock setting works for me. Thus, this carbine might feel too small for a tall guy unless you find some sort of shoulder pad that would work for you. Below, that's an MCarbo charging handle. Really works for me, better than the 1-finger stock unit.

View attachment 391912 View attachment 391913

You can't quite see everything above, but I changed out the trigger (steel feels better for me), the springs (much smoother and lighter trigger), trigger guard (I would NOT do this again, in fact I may switch it back out), and some upgraded screws, all from MCarbo. They came out with a cool extended mag release button after I did this stuff. If I buy it, I may remove the trigger guard while installing the mag button. The stock trigger guard allows a one-handed take-down with your thumb, but this "upgraded" part is too smooth and requires 2 hands to actuate.

View attachment 391914

To round out this self-defense lovable monstrosity, I've got a Streamlight flashlight, mounted to a Magpul M-Lok picatinny rail piece with a FAB defense 1" offset mount. This mount is quick release without a tool so I can take off the light to use it off the rifle, if necessary. This set up keeps the folded carbine as slim as possible with still having a light on one side and a red dot hanging off the other side.

I've done the math, which ends up around $2200, I think. Wow, this build added up. I may end up switching out the RMR for a Vortex, which could drop it below $2000, but I love it as it is. And one word about 40 over 9: The main detraction of 40 is that the recoil, greater than 9, makes follow-up shots a bit more difficult. But that is in a handgun. In a carbine, especially with the can attached, this caliber gets me a significant amount of power over a 9, but without much extra recoil. If this was a range toy or a competition rig (for USPSA PCC), I think 9mm would be better. But for self defense in a shoulder-fired carbine, I'm really liking 40!!

This has the makings of a great Gecko_45 thread! :p

Last Edited:

View attachment 391907

View attachment 391908

View attachment 391909

View attachment 391910

View attachment 391911

View attachment 391912 View attachment 391913

View attachment 391914

VERY damn nice rifle!!

The KelTec is only one small step above a HiPoint carbine. But I think the use of double stack Glock mags make the biggest difference over the single stack HP mags.

I have long said the only mistake the people at High Point made was the propriatary mags. Back when they were the old "ugly stick" and sold for $150 I was shocked when I got to try one. Damn thing just worked. If they had redone the receiver to take a Glock mag? They would have been selling like no end.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews