JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never considered myself as humorless but I don't understand the glee, or possibly condescension some apparently are filled with as they seemingly belittle those who respond to old threads. (as they themselves read and respond)
Catch 22, or darned if you do, open a new thread, then you'll get slammed because the topic has already been hashed out.

Constructive criticisms are beneficial, good natured ribbing can be fun up to a point, sanctimony is not.
The continued viability of NWFA need the new and old alike. Those who have a "been there done that" attitude need to keep it to themselves and let the rest feel excited in wanting to discuss things new to them regardless how many times the topic turns up.

I'll point out the fact that people are responding to a decade old thread if it seems like they don't know, and the topic is more than likely no longer relevant, but I try to do it in a non condescending way. But I'm human and bubblegum happens and I can be a prick.;)

My 2¢ for what it's worth:

Old thread (pick your age), reply on page three years later "you should get a .50 BMG!" - useless information and just bumped that thread to the new posts page. Not helpful or relevant.

Started New Thread: I love .50 BMG's. How many out there have/use them? New Thread, basically same topic and much more relevant.

The dozens of dozens of "I want to build an AR, where do i start?" Theads come to mind. No one jumps on those years later and posts something like "Make it an AR10!".

Just my thoughts. Sometimes it's an accident and the year of the OP was overlooked but most of the time it seems like someone is bored and looking to stack their post count.

Again, this is just how I view it.

Never considered myself as humorless but I don't understand the glee, or possibly condescension some apparently are filled with as they seemingly belittle those who respond to old threads. (as they themselves read and respond)
Catch 22, or darned if you do, open a new thread, then you'll get slammed because the topic has already been hashed out.

Constructive criticisms are beneficial, good natured ribbing can be fun up to a point, sanctimony is not.
The continued viability of NWFA need the new and old alike. Those who have a "been there done that" attitude need to keep it to themselves and let the rest feel excited in wanting to discuss things new to them regardless how many times the topic turns up.

Bring this back up in four years and I'll give some input on the subject.

I don't understand the glee, or possibly condescension some apparently are filled with as they seemingly belittle those who respond to old threads.

you raise a question I can't answer, as this medium is merely a fleshless representation of invisible keyboards keeping innumerable otherwise unoccupied monkeys from falling into the hands of primate research groups.

Notions of all sorts of opinion/political theory/vacuous emotions & etc can be berated at will...although [paraphrasing Joe Link] we each have opportunity to daily treat others as we'd like ourselves to be treated.

I enjoy the information, humor, ideas, exasperation and moments of joy and discovery so often present here. Also try to take as lesson those petty/ugly/noisome/thoughtless entries that could have been something from my own keyboard not so long ago.

In any case, Life is Good. Life with NWFA is better.

CB4814C0-5C86-426E-B54A-B05D9553FC31.jpeg

Years ago [Don't ask me what version of NWFA] Joe and the moderators made it known the old necro threads wear some type of problem.

Great....... So we start flipping each other crud about it when it happened.

Now It's all fine on the system I guess? And Joe don't care. So we all look like Dicks! o_O
Witch in a way is worse than being one. :s0064:

Anyways do you guys remember this? :s0108:
[Ya.... I don't use it any more.]

oldestthread0hx.jpg

But it was good...................... Pretty good. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
When I use the search function it may or may not bring a recent thread but almost always brings several old threads. If the older thread is more relevant than I use it. Some people seem to have too much time on their hands and enjoy being internet police by cutting down members with honest questions.

Old thread ...new thread...same rule number 1 applies...Be excellent to each other.

I have been guilty of posting in a older thread...and don't mind a : "Hey this is a ancient thread , did ya notice that?" comment...If done nicely it serve as a reminder to check the dates before posting , or can even be humorous as in the case of The oldest Thread Award...

In some cases the old thread may be relevant to a newer story or event ...or it may relate to what a member was thinking about and needed to post about.
At the end of the day , to me at least , its no big deal and doesn't stop my enjoyment of my time here.
Andy

Honestly, I don't care if old threads get bumped or if people comment on them being old threads. It's a forum, a discussion. People have different opinions about what they like and don't like. So what? No reason for anyone to get worked up. I'll poke fun sometimes - FOR FUN. This world has enough problems with people getting offended about every little thing others do or say.

When it comes to reviving old threads, I'll just....

frozen-elsa-birthday-root-299hkb1806_1470_1.jpg

Honestly, I don't care if old threads get bumped or if people comment on them being old threads. It's a forum, a discussion. People have different opinions about what they like and don't like. So what? No reason for anyone to get worked up. I'll poke fun sometimes - FOR FUN. This world has enough problems with people getting offended about every little thing others do or say.

When it comes to reviving old threads, I'll just....

View attachment 431114

Pretty much the way I look at it. Most times someone else has pointed out the faux pas, before I even notice myself. When necro threads started coming up a lot more here was when the "Similar Threads" section was added at the bottom of every thread. I think most times people aren't even noticing the date when they reply to one of those.

I don't think anyone here should get offended when people call 'em out for bringing back a necro-thread. 99% of the time we're having fun. We're a bunch of fun guys here. There's no harm intended.

Once I resorted my corporate email inbox and responded to an 2 year old old email demanding information about some thing. They were like "wtf,,,,trip on the stairs on the way in today?"

I see too many times on forums where someone new comes in and asks about x which may happen to be a very dead, very beaten horse, there has been a dozen threads about x with 4 of them locked and the response is a blunt it's been discussed so use the search function. Which can come off as a little less than friendly...

On the other hand, its had to distingish between an oblivious newbie and a troll.

The thing I wonder about old threads are the members who no longer post here. What happened to them? Did they die, move out of the area, go to jail, got bored with the site or move on to other interests? An intriguing mystery that we will probably never know the answer to. Since there are new members joining the forum they may find the answers they are looking for in old threads so lets not disparage a member when they bring up an old thread. JMO.

Why does anyone care how old the thread is? Oh yeah, probably the same reason some get so worked up when they disagree with a Classified price. :rolleyes:

Life is too short for me to care, personally.

The thing I wonder about old threads are the members who no longer post here. What happened to them? Did they die, move out of the area, go to jail, got bored with the site or move on to other interests?

Some sites have a tombstone aggregate thread with at least links to the threads that led to their demise. I don't think this forum ever had anything on the level of gunkid or the mall ninja.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top