JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since there have been a couple recent discussions on cutting (or replacing) old shotgun barrels to riot gun length, here is a photo of my Remington Model 11. Manufacture date of 1914, it looks to have been refinished and there is a visible chip on the forearm so I wasn't worried about any collector value. I shortened the barrel to 20" and installed a new bead. Functions great - have used bird shot on tin cans and buckshot on cardboard- no problems with any of it. Lots of fun to shoot.

RemingtonModel11.jpg

Since there have been a couple recent discussions on cutting (or replacing) old shotgun barrels to riot gun length, here is a photo of my Remington Model 11. Manufacture date of 1914, it looks to have been refinished and there is a visible chip on the forearm so I wasn't worried about any collector value. I shortened the barrel to 20" and installed a new bead. Functions great - have used bird shot on tin cans and buckshot on cardboard- no problems with any of it. Lots of fun to shoot.

RemingtonModel11.jpg

=============================================

Looks nice OG, so I assume you now have what would be considered a barrel choke? How does the gun pattern as far as spread of the shot.

And when and where did you wrestle, I'm a bit of an Old Grappler myself. Hillsboro class of 1980.:)

No choke with the barrel cut like that - just a cylinder bore. Never actually measured the spread but seemed pretty close to the 1" per yard rule of thumb as I recall. Never wrestled, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for quite a few years. Old but still practice.

Gotcha, I was thinking if you cut a barrel with a pipe cutter it would cause the barrel to dimple in evenly and when you went to champher the cut, depending on how much chempering, you could in a sense create a modified choke, or at least a bit of a choke?

Gotcha, I was thinking if you cut a barrel with a pipe cutter it would cause the barrel to dimple in evenly and when you went to champher the cut, depending on how much chempering, you could in a sense create a modified choke, or at least a bit of a choke?

I used a hacksaw to cut the barrel then I dressed it with a file and some emery cloth. No choke on that barrel. I did use a pipe cutter on one shotgun. I tightened it very gradually as I cut to avoid putting too much squeeze on the barrel.

Upcoming Events

May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top