JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speed to me is not a primary reason for liking a cartridge. I take into consideration a lot of

I like vanguard synthetic 2 I have in 308. Also do you think Weatherby is going to let howa sell their new cartridge?
I don't think they will even offer it in Vanguard, let alone Howa.
Vanguard wasn't offered in any Weatherby chamberings back in the day.
Just standard chambers.

Also Vanguard pricing is often more attractive than Howa.
If you like wood, then Weatherby will win that one as well.

I
I don't think they will even offer it in Vanguard, let alone Howa.
Vanguard wasn't offered in any Weatherby chamberings back in the day.
Just standard chambers.

Also Vanguard pricing is often more attractive than Howa.
If you like wood, then Weatherby will win that one as well.
I can walk over to Wal-Mart right now and buy a 300 weatherby or a 257 weatherby in a vanguard. When I bought mine in 308 back in July both were in stock

There is''Nothing'' new here! Winchester introduced the .264 win mag. in the rifle called the.264 Westerner, long long ago. In fact it was introduced in the 1959.

I can remember sending 140 pills over the Chronograph in the 1970s at speeds exceeding 3,000 - 3,200+ fps.

100 grain varmint pills were flying south of 3,500 fps
So they may be selling you a bunch of hype not a new caliber.
Silver Hand

There is''Nothing'' new here! Winchester introduced the .264 win mag. in the rifle called the.264 Westerner, long long ago. In fact it was introduced in the 1959.

I can remember sending 140 pills over the Chronograph in the 1970s at speeds exceeding 3,000 - 3,200+ fps.

100 grain varmint pills were flying south of 3,500 fps
So they may be selling you a bunch of hype not a new caliber.
Silver Hand
Absolutely correct. If you want a speedster get a 257 Weatherby Magnum. It will push something like a 87 grain bullet at 4,000 FPS in my old reloading manuals. My 378 pushes 270 grains at 3200 FPS with over 6,000 ft lbs of energy. About the same speed as my 7mm mag throws a 140 grain. If you really want a speedster.....get a 220 Swift. Nothing has eclipsed it in the 60 or so years it has been around. I remember loadings to 4200 FPS in the old days.

Last Edited:
Absolutely correct. If you want a speedster get a 257 Weatherby Magnum. It will push something like a 87 grain bullet at 4,000 FPS in my old reloading manuals. My 378 pushes 270 grains at 3200 FPS with over 6,000 ft lbs of energy. About the same as my 7mm mag throws a 140 grain.

Wow a .378 must put a fair amount of resistance against the shoulder and momentary distortion of ones vision might also be an after effect? I know when I moved away from the .264 to the .300 Win Mag. [loaded full house with 180 grain pills] the pain in working up a load for that 'tiny' cartridge by comparison, required at times a few days to heal from the pain after a dozen or so rounds were spent, several days in a row.
Silver Hand

Wow a .378 must put a fair amount of resistance against the shoulder and momentary distortion of ones vision might also be an after effect? I know when I moved away from the .264 to the .300 Win Mag. [loaded full house with 180 grain pills] the pain in working up a load for that 'tiny' cartridge by comparison, required at times a few days to heal from the pain after a dozen or so rounds were spent, several days in a row.
Silver Hand
The "California" (Weatherby was mostly a stock designer) stock design fits me very well. The stock falls away from the cheek piece to the wrist and the exaggerated cheek piece keeps the rifle from recoiling into your chin. I never shoot it prone, preferring to allow my shoulder to move with the recoil. It works for me. I have never had to shoot a piece of game twice, have never missed with the rifle. I have had other rifles that were much more "adventurous " to shoot. I had a 30-06 featherweight pre-64 M70 that had been converted to left hand by the great Al Bieson. I really wanted to love that rifle.......but it kicked me so much I began to flinch. The coolest Weatherby I ever saw was one of his early rifles built on a 1917 Winchester (Enfield) action. Before Roy designed the MK5, he built rifles on many different actions. The Gun belonged to my Great Uncle, I am sure my cousin has it now.

JRuby; It's Interesting that you included the .25-06 in your list of "Standard" cartridges. Since, not too many years ago it was a Wildcat in every sense of the word.

I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to buy a given firearm and caliber that's up to nobody but them.
Off course people should buy whatever they want.......but most viable wildcats have been standardized into factory calibers today. Calibers like 270, 35 Whalen, 25-06, countless calibers were developed from original wildcat loadings. There are 3 primary case dimentions that are constantly re-engineered to either wildcat or factory loadings, 30-06/308, 458 Win Mag and the 378 Weatherby case. Most cartridges are built on one of those foundations. I am waiting for the first 22-50 bmg 6500 FPS burner but probably not likely.

I also wonder about pricing and availability of ammo and components...As mentioned above by others.
Plus , is the new cartridge really doing anything that a older well established cartridge isn't?
Not knocking the rifle or cartridge ... just asking 'cause I don't know anything about it.
I wouldn't want to get stuck with a "dud" or dead end cartridge that no one really likes or has no trade in value....
Just wondering after my first thoughts....
No meant as a slam to the OP , rifle or cartridge....
Andy

Yeah Andy! Shades of the 8mm Remington magnum!

The wut who? Yeah! Where did that one go? And it was Remington!
I wanted one of those when they were first out! Shooting writers had me believing that it would vaporize a big bull elk and then reconstitute it in your garage!
This just sounds like more, same same, much later Weatherby stuff! I get that weatherbys are great, precision rifles but I'll leave them for the rich folk! :)

Off course people should buy whatever they want.......but most viable wildcats have been standardized into factory calibers today. Calibers like 270, 35 Whalen, 25-06, countless calibers were developed from original wildcat loadings. There are 3 primary case dimentions that are constantly re-engineered to either wildcat or factory loadings, 30-06/308, 458 Win Mag and the 378 Weatherby case. Most cartridges are built on one of those foundations. I am waiting for the first 22-50 bmg 6500 FPS burner but probably not likely.

You mean the 375 H&H? It was the first belted case of that diameter.

I get that weatherbys are great, precision rifles but I'll leave them for the rich folk! :)
Best statement! I love to eat steak and lobster. Well heck almost all surf and turf but I am stuck eating White Castle sliders and Gordon's fish sticks!

Now back to the rifle and caliber... Weatherby is not claiming it to be new. As a matter of fact Roy Weatherby started developing it in the early 60's because of Winchester and H&H. Now with everyone all 6.5 creedmoor this or 6mm that... as a company why not release the caliber and some rifles? Barrel life is almost irrelevant when you are talking about "$3.30" PER ROUND! If you spend $20k in ammunition to shoot out the barrel then you can afford to buy a new barrel! At least that's how I see it.

Absolutely correct. If you want a speedster get a 257 Weatherby Magnum. It will push something like a 87 grain bullet at 4,000 FPS in my old reloading manuals. My 378 pushes 270 grains at 3200 FPS with over 6,000 ft lbs of energy. About the same speed as my 7mm mag throws a 140 grain. If you really want a speedster.....get a 220 Swift. Nothing has eclipsed it in the 60 or so years it has been around. I remember loadings to 4200 FPS in the old days.
I had a friend who loaded up his .220 Swift to the point that the bullets were leaving vapor/smoke trails.

Whats to miss? The are still here - just gotta hit the used LGS & pawn shops. I saw a BEAUTIFUL Remington Model Seven in .223 the other day in a pawn shop - looks nearly new - and $ 899 also....

I understand about finding a used wood stocked and blued steel rifle...
I was lamenting the next to nothing production of new bolt action rifles made with wood stocks , blued steel and iron sights.
Seems like most production rifles have a synthetic stock , no irons and a black or camouflage paint job...not something I'm interested in.

As I said in my first post in this thread ...perhaps its a good thing that I do not work for a rifle or hunting apparel company...:D
And to add that I am glad that we are not limited to my likes and dislikes in the firearms world ...just would be happy to see a return to more wood stocks and blued steel.
Andy
Edit for spelling.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA