JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plus , is the new cartridge really doing anything that a older well established cartridge isn'?
Andy

It's not. It's good but there are dozens of excellent calibers in 7 and 6.5 that are going to do the same thing at lower prices. What about 264 win mag? 7mm mag. 7mm Breneke, 6.5x284, or slower but real capable to 1000, 260ai, 6.5cm, 6.5x47?

It's ok to be efficient or buy a conversation piece but you usually won't get both in one package

If you get it you'll love it and boast about it

It's ok to be efficient or buy a conversation piece but you usually won't get both in one package

My Hawken Rife copy is both efficient and a conversation piece , as least to me.
I love and boost about this rifle all the time ...much to probable boredom of many members here.:D

I do agree with what you are saying ...And I hope every that Rifleman has a rifle they can boost of , for its efficiently and "conversation" status...
Andy

See I treat it like 7mm Dakota, 338 LaPua, 375 H&H and 50 BMG. You buy it and then don't shoot it much unless you want to drop your hunt at serious distance. As far as the rifle cost let's be real. Is a LWRC 308 Repr worth $3400, a Molot Vepr worth $1500, or a 357 6 inch Colt Python worth $4000? Not picking on these firearms but if you believe that they are worth that then $2800 for a good bolt action rifle is not a question.

For that amount of money I would buy a custom action and all the other parts to build my own rifle. Buy or rent a reamer in a more realistic/practical caliber and have a fully custom gun chambered in the caliber of my choice. The last custom rifle I built and had chambered was about $2800.

What I see you are considering is a Mark V action that really isn't all that special...you never see competitive rifles built on that action. Strong 9 lug action but not really noted for extreme accuracy.

If it is indeed a Krieger barrel that is good, but don't expect any magical amount of barrel life out of it. Cut rifling does seem to last longer than button or hammer forged, but not by much.

That looks like a tan speckled Bell and Carlson stock that has been painted over with an air brush...frankly up close they look amateurish and cheap. Great stock functionally, but not expensive, and the paint on it will disappoint most people.

See I treat it like 7mm Dakota, 338 LaPua, 375 H&H and 50 BMG. You buy it and then don't shoot it much unless you want to drop your hunt at serious distance. As far as the rifle cost let's be real. Is a LWRC 308 Repr worth $3400, a Molot Vepr worth $1500, or a 357 6 inch Colt Python worth $4000? Not picking on these firearms but if you believe that they are worth that then $2800 for a good bolt action rifle is not a question.

If you have the money and can justify it, great.

I am more inclined to buy guns I can shoot a lot with really nice glass. I would much rather have a $3000 scope on a gun I shoot every weekend than a $3000 gun I shoot once a year. That's me though. :)

Speed to me is not a primary reason for liking a cartridge. I take into consideration a lot of
Before buying a Vanguard I'd go straight to the actual manufacturer and buy a Howa 1500.
I like vanguard synthetic 2 I have in 308. Also do you think Weatherby is going to let howa sell their new cartridge?

Speed to me is not a primary reason for liking a cartridge. I take into consideration a lot of

I like vanguard synthetic 2 I have in 308. Also do you think Weatherby is going to let howa sell their new cartridge?
No. But then, I can buy or load .270 Win rounds that perform about as well, and are available everywhere for a lot less.

My Hawken Rife copy is both efficient and a conversation piece , as least to me.
I love and boost about this rifle all the time ...much to probable boredom of many members here.:D

I do agree with what you are saying ...And I hope every that Rifleman has a rifle they can boost of , for its efficiently and "conversation" status...
Andy
For me Andy I believe in practical things. And trust me you won't offend me I'm not a snowflake. ;)

I live in the $1k realm and stick to common calibers. 9mm, 38 spc, 357 magnum, 556/223, 763x39 or 762x51. Why I choose all these things is simple. I love shooting and if it costs me too much to shoot a particular caliber then it's not worth it. If I feel uncomfortable carrying a firearm for worrying that I may bang it up it again ain't worth it.

Quick story: I was shooting at local range and gentleman was on the 200 yard line with his 7mm Dakota rifle and was upset that the $4200 rifle wasn't putting all rounds in a quarter size hole.o_O

When I was younger I got into reloading Wildcat cartridges as I grow older I have found with my limited time I now prefer standard cartridges. There is no reason exce2pt the cost of the components and the dies you could not roll your own. Reloading data I am sure is scarce right now as well. As I get older I have greater appreciation for standard cartridges like the 30-06. 270 308 243 25-06 etc....
Leave this barrel burners to the new guys.

Last Edited:
JRuby; It's Interesting that you included the .25-06 in your list of "Standard" cartridges. Since, not too many years ago it was a Wildcat in every sense of the word.

I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to buy a given firearm and caliber that's up to nobody but them.

JRuby; It's Interesting that you included the .25-06 in your list of "Standard" cartridges. Since, not too many years ago it was a Wildcat in every sense of the word.

I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to buy a given firearm and caliber that's up to nobody but them.
I agree and guess what I reload for my 338'06, 38-55 and 93x62. I speak for myself and not for any one else. If it floats your boat go for it. At one time or another a lot of cartridges were new. I do not " personally" see that much advantage to this new cartridge.

I have owned and used a 378 Weatherby magnum for 40 years. It is an incredible cartridge that I sort of backed into but never regretted. Some of these small bore calibers based on the 378 brass is over charged. I don't know that this cartridge is any more effective than a 264 Win Mag. I have always thought the 30-378 was not enough more effective than a 300 Weatherby or Win Mag to be interesting or to justify the extra powder and cost of brass. As to the MK5 action......those locking lugs are tiny, even though numerous I am not convinced they are substantially stronger than a good 3 lug Mauser. They do require precise alignment to insure a smooth clean operating action. My rifle is a German gun, I have never owned one of the newer American made ones. The Japanese built guns are adaquate but I don't do Oriental guns. The MK5 isn't the quality of a fine rifle like my early Mausers or Steyrs but is adaquate. My 378 has an excellent trigger and is very accurate. It is seldom fired without taking game. I remember reports of the 30-378 being so overcharged that considerable powder actually burned after the bullet left the barrel. I would expect similar results here. Few Weatherby calibers are a huge improvement over other more common calibers. The 2 exceptional Weatherby calibers, the 257 WM and the 378 WM. Others can be a bit counter productive. When the 300 WM was new it was revolutionary but it has been equaled by many modern calibers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top