JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a continuation to the "Guess these cartridges" thread, thought a new thread would be easier.

These are just a few that I shoot, some more common than others, and none are terribly obscure or rare. The particular specimens in the photo are oddballs from my collection; extra points for identifying what they are besides cartridge designation. :)

cartridges.jpg

The only one I'm positive about is #2 being 5.45x39mm due to the red ring. Others, judging from the last thread I could guess on but they'd be juuuuust enough different where if be wrong

This is a continuation to the "Guess these cartridges" thread, thought a new thread would be easier.

These are just a few that I shoot, some more common than others, and none are terribly obscure or rare. The particular specimens in the photo are oddballs from my collection; extra points for identifying what they are besides cartridge designation. :)

View attachment 540666

#26 carcano ?

Sorry for the slow reply. Family duties; it was family swim night at the local pool and the kids have really been wanting to go.

The only one I'm positive about is #2 being 5.45x39mm due to the red ring. Others, judging from the last thread I could guess on but they'd be juuuuust enough different where if be wrong

Yep, but that round wasn't cheap. I think it was actually the most I ever spent on one cartridge. Yes, I paid $10 for one round of 5.45mm, but it was in the late '80s when they didn't exist in the West. The guy I got it from told me it came from Afghanistan.

#9 is a cooper cased .22 short..loaded with black powder....I have some of those myself...very cool display you have there.

Thank you! Very close, it's actually an RWS BB cap, primer powered, no powder at all. I bought a little tin of them back in the '80s because I thought they were cool. This one is from that tin.

So... Does #9 break the speed of smell?
Barely! They just make a tiny pop.

#3 goes in my current fav AR15. Gotta love that cheap russian ammo :)

#28 looks like it goes in my bigger AR
I figured #3 would mislead a few people. I'm pretty sure there's never been an AR made in this chambering. In fact, this cartridge was only made in one country, for one model of rifle. It's frustratingly hard to find good ammo nowadays because it really is a neat rifle.

#28 is another sneaky one that looks a lot like a round that it isn't. It's not chambered in ARs, that I know of, but if you live in a certain mountainous European country, you might have a government issued Sturmgewehr in this caliber stored in your closet at home.

A guess would be that #4 is a .30 Carbine blank.:)

#4--- I'm coming up blank
Of course, a .30 Carbine Grenade Launching blank.

#13 or #14 might be .30 Luger (7.63x25) or 7.62x25 tokarev.
One of each! (Though the .30 Luger is actually 7.65x21) Those specimens are both circa WWI vintage.

#26 carcano ?
No, it looks a lot like one, but it's a larger caliber bullet, and a different country. (Clue- often called by two different names, for two different countries on opposite sides of the world.)

Sorry for the slow reply. Family duties; it was family swim night at the local pool and the kids have really been wanting to go.

Yep, but that round wasn't cheap. I think it was actually the most I ever spent on one cartridge. Yes, I paid $10 for one round of 5.45mm, but it was in the late '80s when they didn't exist in the West. The guy I got it from told me it came from Afghanistan.

Thank you! Very close, it's actually an RWS BB cap, primer powered, no powder at all. I bought a little tin of them back in the '80s because I thought they were cool. This one is from that tin.

Barely! They just make a tiny pop.

I figured #3 would mislead a few people. I'm pretty sure there's never been an AR made in this chambering. In fact, this cartridge was only made in one country, for one model of rifle. It's frustratingly hard to find good ammo nowadays because it really is a neat rifle.

#28 is another sneaky one that looks a lot like a round that it isn't. It's not chambered in ARs, that I know of, but if you live in a certain mountainous European country, you might have a government issued Sturmgewehr in this caliber stored in your closet at home.

Of course, a .30 Carbine Grenade Launching blank.

One of each! (Though the .30 Luger is actually 7.65x21) Those specimens are both circa WWI vintage.

No, it looks a lot like one, but it's a larger caliber bullet, and a different country. (Clue- often called by two different names, for two different countries on opposite sides of the world.)

Must be mauser

View attachment 540666
Ok .....between my binge reading on SB 501 and my daily trips to BiMart to binge buy ammo, I will play......Fill in the blanks Fellas?......
1. 243 Win.
2. 5.45
4. 30 Carbine Blank
5. 22 Hornet
7. 500 S& W
8.357 Mag
9. RWS BB Cap
11. 22WRF
12. 9MM Luger
13. 30 Luger
14 7.62 Tokarev
17 .
18. 45 ACP
19. .410 Shotshell (aluminum)
20. Euro 30-30Rimmed
22. 6.5R Jap
27. 7.62 Nato
18. 7.62 Kurz

Ok .....between my binge reading on SB 501 and my daily trips to BiMart to binge buy ammo, I will play......Fill in the blanks Fellas?......
1. 243 Win. Close, not quite
2. 5.45. Yes
4. 30 Carbine Blank. Yes
5. 22 Hornet. Yes, 1959 USGI fmj
7. 500 S& W. Yes
8.357 Mag. No, the big .500 next to it just makes it look small
9. RWS BB Cap. Yes
11. 22WRF No, but close. Think older and bigger.
12. 9MM Luger Yes. This one is a Swedish blank. I shot some of these in my Hi-Power once and ruined the barrel. Century paid for a new barrel.
13. 30 Luger Yes
14 7.62 Tokarev Yes, well actually a .30 Mauser but essentially the same thing
17 .
18. 45 ACP Yes. This one is dated 1912.
19. .410 Shotshell (aluminum) yes
20. Euro 30-30Rimmed No, think old Europe military
22. 6.5R Jap I assume you meant #23. If so then yes.
27. 7.62 Nato No, older
18. 7.62 Kurz. The German Sturmgewehr shoots the 7.92 Kurz, but the Swiss have a modern rifle that they also call the Sturmgewehr, that shoots this round.

I'm surprised nobody's gotten #25. It's a pretty popular round nowadays. Here's a photo of the headstamp if that helps:

IMG_6456[1].jpg

Yes, that's the date (month/year), and no it's not a rimfire. It's an early "inside primed" cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top