JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing that manufacturers get right with premium hunting bullets is expansion thresholds. A premium hunting bullet that impacts a deer at 2000 fps will upset and exit and, tests have shown, have insufficient energy to cause much harm after exit.

Too bad pistol ammo is too slow to do that. Im not worried about what exits, I'm worried about what doesn't hit the intended target to begin with. So, in that case, I want ammo that exits and causes 2 bleeding holes.
That's where the 9 MM had such bad rap, it wouldn't expand and it would over penetrate and could/did cause harm down range! The big ol flying dust bin had so much frontal area it would usually stop inside the tango

PS: you weren't specific. Do you want to CC it? Or are you looking for something fun?

This was mostly about 357Sig since I opened the thread but its also a general caliber (pistol/rifle etc) that people can talk about.

I was wondering about performance because I may try to use it as CC but so far the only gun I know off (off the top of my head) is the G32 chambered in it. I am sure there are others I just do not currently know their lines. Already have a 9/40/45 in the hand gat department so I am covered for your practical CC sense/range play.

Got a weird itch to play with an oddball caliber so I was mostly hoping to hear feedback from people who actually use it or CC it on the daily.
I've played with a buddies 10mm which wasn't bad but I think it was a under powered load from factory because it didn't feel nearly as bad as I was thinking from the powerhouse everyone online makes it out to be, I am aware recoil is a perceptive thats different for all. 40 is fun and gives confidence when CC'ing. 9MM current loads feel adequate and 45 more or less feels the same as 40 only a few less bullets.

Like I said was kind of curious about a caliber not too common to play with and maybe CC if i really like it. Guess best bet it so find a range and see if i can trial one and get my own impression. Thanks to those who've chimed in who use it daily I like the information you've provided.

I have a couple of 357 Sig Glocks. To me, they are like shooting a 40. Not enough difference to notice, IMHO. I did carry my Glock 33 for quite a few years but have since gone to a single stack 45 but only for the slimmer profile. I have very little worry that either round will fail to perform (or over perform).

That said, I have kind of lost interest in 357 Sig. I will keep my 357 barrels but already have a 40 barrel for one and will eventually get another. The biggest reason for my shift is reloading. I have reloaded some 357 Sig without any problems but it is definitely not as easy as loading a straight walled cartridge.

10mm... was a under powered load from factor
10mm factory ammo runs the gamut from powder puff loads which barely cycle the slide up to bear-killers... it depends on what ammo your buddy brought along.
Remember, 10mm was developed because 9mm sucked. Then 10 was too much so they developed the .40. Now they're dropping the .40 and going back to 9 so all the 9mm fanboys feel vindicated in their unaccountable hatred for the .40.... it counters my unaccountable hate for 9mm :s0132:

I kid... I don't hate any of them and, in fact, lost several fine examples of each in a tragic rowboat accident.

Dunno but I sort of want an oddball caliber since I have the primary 9-556 covered.

Discuss other odd calibers too (45GAP etc)
Thanks!

This was mostly about 357Sig since I opened the thread but its also a general caliber (pistol/rifle etc) that people can talk about.

Got a weird itch to play with an oddball caliber so I was mostly hoping to hear feedback from people who actually use it or CC it on the daily.

Like I said was kind of curious about a caliber not too common to play with and maybe CC if i really like it.

Oddball? Not too common? How about 22 TCM? Available in the 1911 platform or CZ clone platform. The Rock Island TCM 1911 kit includes a drop-in 9mm barrel so it is like two guns in one.

Light recoil without sacrifice in muzzle energy and penetrating impact abilities
Famous for mastering the development of the 1911 platform for over 30 years, we've advanced the scope of our research and engineering team with the commercial launch of the meteoric 22 TCM cartridge in the 1911 format. Delivering over 2000 fps in a handgun while offering both single stack and high capacity options, the TCM series introduces the most potent and versatile 1911 in the market today. It's known for light recoil without sacrifice in muzzle energy and penetrating impact abilities. Also built in mid size, full size and high capacity options with both Standard and Tactical configurations, each TCM series handgun includes a drop-in 9mm barrel adding another proven ammunition option in one firearm. Once you rule the fire breathing dragon, you'll never want to put it down.

TCM_Series_Inset.jpg

51961_1911-A1_22-TCM_TAC_2011_FS_leftangled.jpg

The CZ clone version:

51656_1911-A1_MAPP1_MS_9mm_leftangled.jpg

Oddball? Not too common? How about 22 TCM? Available in the 1911 platform or CZ clone platform. The Rock Island TCM 1911 kit includes a drop-in 9mm barrel so it is like two guns in one.

View attachment 527900

The CZ clone version:

View attachment 527901

A buddy of mine has a 1911 in 22 TCM. looks funny but seems cool that you get 2 in one. Looking at a G32 from hickok45's video I can also convert it to shoot 40sw by dropping in a barrel. I think its nifty that options available as to avoid having a gun be useless if theres 0 ammo. Mags interchange too.

Just to correct an earlier statement, 357 Sig brass is necked down 10mm, not 40 S&W. If you try to neck down 40 brass it will be too short.

Personally, I think 9mm is great for two legged animals, and hard hitting cartridges like 357 Sig and 10mm are best for the four legged animals.

Just to correct an earlier statement, 357 Sig brass is necked down 10mm, not 40 S&W. If you try to neck down 40 brass it will be too short.

Personally, I think 9mm is great for two legged animals, and hard hitting cartridges like 357 Sig and 10mm are best for the four legged animals.

Yes. .357 Sig is not necked down .40 S&W. But 357 Sig is also not necked down 10mm brass.
10mm has a large primer.

So. It looks like. 357 Sig brass is 357 sig brass.

Last Edited:
I have a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig p229. I have loaded some rounds and was just never really impressed with it. I just picked up a chronograph though so I am anxious to try some loads and see the velocity difference. I don't expect to be a fan, already not a fan of .40. Really the only reason I keep that gun is that I have the two barrels and it's my only .40 and only .357 Sig.

10mm is one of my favorites. I am really looking forward to picking up a 1911 in .38 super.

I have been of the opinion from a prepper's perspective that a 40 Glock is far superior to 9mm for the reason that it can be converted down to 9. For that same reason I have as my primary carry gun a Glock 32 with RMR and light in 357Sig.

I don't really shoot it at the range except to confirm function and zero. When I do shoot it, it doesn't seem to have any larger recoil than my 40's. I prefer to shoot 9's at the range, but if a bad guy is being bad, then the extra power will be much appreciated.

Massad Ayoob has said that he carries a 357Sig. Even though ammo is expensive, you really only need enough to confirm function, practice a little, and fill up all your mags.

Honestly .357 sig is probably one of the best pistol rounds ever but the odd ball ammo and expensive prices kind of negate the greatness of this round. 40s&w can have the same great preformance of a .357sig if you choose the right ammo. The only real advantage the .357 sig has over a 40 is lighter recoil and flatter trajectory. If you can live without those 2 things I would go with a 40s&w otherwise if your a die hard go with the .357 sig. I'm personal itching for a Glock 22 but I wouldn't mind a Glock 31

I really like the 357Sig. Have a sig226 and G31. Reloading makes it worth it for me. I don't shoot it a bunch but really like the round.

.357Sig is an interesting round. I had a gen 1 SigPro 2340 in .357Sig. Did not like the recoil impulse. Very snappy / muzzle twisty. Mags rattled a lot in that gun too. An M&P in .357 would be cool, they made a few. I would not mind a G31 or 32 to play with either.

A Sig 229 or 226 in .357Sig would be cool. All steel frame may soak up recoil better than the plastic did.

.357Sig is an interesting round. I had a gen 1 SigPro 2340 in .357Sig. Did not like the recoil impulse. Very snappy / muzzle twisty. Mags rattled a lot in that gun too. An M&P in .357 would be cool, they made a few. I would not mind a G31 or 32 to play with either.

A Sig 229 or 226 in .357Sig would be cool. All steel frame may soak up recoil better than the plastic did.

I think my 229 is 36oz or so. With alloy frame. About the same as a full size 1911.
It's a pussycat to shoot. ;)

Last Edited:
Anyone have any experience with 357sig? from some stuff I have read online and a couple videos it doesn't seem too bad but what im mostly looking for is people who actually use it often or CC. Dunno but I sort of want an oddball caliber since I have the primary 9-556 covered.

My understanding is that its basically at suped up 9mm bullet that fires at higher velocities than 40sw and packs a little more punch, capacity I hear is the same as 40 as well. The downside is its shelf price. Curious how it handles while firing, from the videos i've seen it looks almost like 40 when fired.

Discuss other odd calibers to (45GAP etc)
Thanks!

Haven't read the thread, but the 357 SIG is probably going away - it is dying a slow but sure death. Many fed agencies and state/municipal/county agencies are dropping the .40 S&W too (they are going back to 9mm), but it is still popular enough that ammo is readily available. If you are dead set on .357 SIG, make sure you get a gun that can readily convert to 9mm or at least .40 S&W - like one of the SIGs or some Glocks where conversion kits and/or barrels are offered (for most .357 SIG SIGs, you can just swap out the barrel as they are the same outer diameter/etc., and use the same recoil spring/etc. and the same mag).

I have a .357 SIG conversion kit for my 226 - haven't shot it yet. Just got it JIC I stumble across ammo in a trade when SHTF, or someone wants the kit in a trade because they have a lot of ammo (unlikely).

You could go for .460 Rowland if you have the gun for it, but I would recommend the 10mm instead - about 200 fps faster than the .45 ACP, but then I am considering getting some .45 SMC ammo and trying it out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top