JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I have done in previous years on other gun sites. I will keep this thread up to date with IMPORTANT O.F.F action alerts. Pay attention this year, in the wake of the AZ incident, it's going to be a tough year.

Proposed Bills for 2011 Oregon Legislation
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/

HB 2080 Requires that certain court orders indicate that person subject to order is barred from possessing receiving shipping or transporting firearm or firearm ammunition.

HB 2415 Directs Department of State Police to adopt rules identifying states that allow holder of Oregon concealed handgun license to carry concealed handgun and have substantially similar eligibility requirements.

HB 2418 Requires Department of State Police to destroy records obtained during criminal records checks within 24 hours of approving certain transfers of firearms.

HB 2419 Exempts certain transferors of firearm from requesting criminal history record check if purchaser or recipient has concealed handgun license.

HB 2706 Provides public safety officers employed by law enforcement unit with affirmative defense to crime of unlawful possession of a firearm.

HB 2787 Prohibits public body from releasing information that identifies holder of or applicant for concealed handgun license.

HB 2789 Authorizes issuance of concealed handgun license to person convicted or diverted for certain marijuana offenses in another jurisdiction if conviction or diversion is equivalent to conviction or diversion that does not operate as bar to obtaining license under Oregon law.

HB 2790 Grants rights given to concealed handgun licensee to any person who may lawfully purchase and possess firearm.

HB 2791 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

HB 2793 Modifies definition of public place for purpose of certain city or county ordinances related to possession of loaded firearms.

HB 2794 Modifies authority of county sheriff related to issuance and revocation of concealed handgun license.

HB 2796 Provides that firearms ammunition and firearm accessories that are manufactured and retained in Oregon are not subject to federal regulation.

HB 2797 Describes readily accessible for purpose of prohibition on possessing readily accessible concealed handgun within vehicle when vehicle is snowmobile motorcycle or all-terrain vehicle.

HB 3001 Requires Department of State Police to destroy records obtained during criminal records checks within 24 hours of approving certain transfers of firearms.

HB 3002 Provides nonresidents who are licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protections provided to persons with Oregon concealed handgun license if other state used National Instant Criminal Background Check System prior to issuing person's handgun license.

HB 3003 Exempts certain transferors of firearms from requesting criminal history record check if purchaser or recipient has concealed handgun license.

Maybe I've been drinking at work or something, but those all sound reasonable if not good?!

As for HB 2418 and HB 3001, what's the difference in the two, and I thought OSP was already required to destroy the records. Isn't making it more illegal, or illegal again, kind of silly? :)

Not all OFF alerts are negative. Negative bills need opposition, good ones need support. HB 2418 & HB 3001 are probably drafted by different people.

Not all OFF alerts are negative. Negative bills need opposition, good ones need support. HB 2418 & HB 3001 are probably drafted by different people.

I wasn't actually in shock that the alert wasn't negative, rather that there's a voluminous pile of legislation that directly benefits our cause, cleans up the rough edges of Oregon firearm laws, and is generally something to be excited about!

My personal expectations are that little of it will pass, but one can always hope, and besides if any of it passes that would be fantastic. I think I'll be getting in touch with my state congress men and women shortly!

okay, i just read hb2790. i'm not a dumbass, but dry legalese is a bit out of my comprehension range. does it really institute permitless carry in oregon?

I like the bills too, of course I haven't read them, but the short descriptions seem like good ideas... and living in Central Oregon I know my reps will support most all of them.
But
Kitzhaber is going to get arthritis by vetoing them all except for HB2790 - if he follows his support for CCarry.

Email your local reps. If you're unsure how to find out who they are here's a full list from last year (haven't updated it since the election, so a few are no longer)

"rep.waynekrieger" <[email protected]>,
"rep.timfreeman" <[email protected]>,
"rep.ronmaurer" <[email protected]>,
"rep.dennisrichardson" <[email protected]>,
[email protected],
"rep.salesquivel" <[email protected]>,
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
"rep.vicgilliam" <[email protected]>,
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

Rep. Earl Blumenauer
www.house.gov/blumenauer
[email protected] (Scheduler)
Phone: (202) 225-4811
Fax: (202) 225-8941
Phone: (503) 231-2300
Fax: (503) 230-5413

Rep. David Wu
www.house.gov/wu/ci.htm
Phone: (202) 225-0855
Fax: (202) 225-9497
Phone: (503) 326-2901
Toll Free: (800) 422-4003
Fax: (503) 326-5066

Rep. Kurt Schrader
Phone: (202) 225-5711

Rep. Peter DeFazio
[email protected]
www.house.gov/defazio
Phone: (202) 225-6416
Phone: (541) 465-6732

Senator Jeff Merkley
[email protected]
[email protected] (Assistant)
Phone: (202) 224-8845
Fax: (202) 228-2111

Senator Ron Wyden
www.wyden.senate.gov
Phone: (202) 224-5244
Phone: (503) 326-7525

Congressman Greg Walden
[email protected]
www.house.gov/walden
Phone: (202) 225-6730
Fax: (202) 225-5774
Phone: (541) 776-4646
Toll Free: (800) 533-3303
Fax: (541) 779-0204

TOP PRIORITY
HB 2790 Grants rights given to concealed handgun licensee to any person who may lawfully purchase and possess firearm.
HB 2796 Provides that firearms ammunition and firearm accessories that are manufactured and retained in Oregon are not subject to federal regulation.
HB 2787 Prohibits public body from releasing information that identifies holder of or applicant for concealed handgun license.
HB 2419 Exempts certain transferors of firearm from requesting criminal history record check if purchaser or recipient has concealed handgun license.
HB 3003 Exempts certain transferors of firearms from requesting criminal history record check if purchaser or recipient has concealed handgun license.
HB 3001 Requires Department of State Police to destroy records obtained during criminal records checks within 24 hours of approving certain transfers of firearms.
HB 2418 Requires Department of State Police to destroy records obtained during criminal records checks within 24 hours of approving certain transfers of firearms.
MIDDLE PRIORITY
HB 2415 Directs Department of State Police to adopt rules identifying states that allow holder of Oregon concealed handgun license to carry concealed handgun and have substantially similar eligibility requirements.
HB 3002 Provides nonresidents who are licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protections provided to persons with Oregon concealed handgun license if other state used National Instant Criminal Background Check System prior to issuing person's handgun license.
HB 2791 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
LOW PRIORITY
HB 2080 Requires that certain court orders indicate that person subject to order is barred from possessing receiving shipping or transporting firearm or firearm ammunition.
HB 2789 Authorizes issuance of concealed handgun license to person convicted or diverted for certain marijuana offenses in another jurisdiction if conviction or diversion is equivalent to conviction or diversion that does not operate as bar to obtaining license under Oregon law.
HB 2793 Modifies definition of public place for purpose of certain city or county ordinances related to possession of loaded firearms.
HB 2794 Modifies authority of county sheriff related to issuance and revocation of concealed handgun license.
HB 2797 Describes readily accessible for purpose of prohibition on possessing readily accessible concealed handgun within vehicle when vehicle is snowmobile motorcycle or all-terrain vehicle.
NOT NEEDED
HB 2706 Provides public safety officers employed by law enforcement unit with affirmative defense to crime of unlawful possession of a firearm.

There are duplicates (bills that have different sponsors but accomplish roughly the same thing).

There are some that are VERY important and overshadow others. For example, if HB2790 is passed, then there is no need for concealed carry licenses for people in Oregon. But still there might be a desire for a Concealed Carry license in order to get reciprocity with other states and/or to enable firearm purchases without a STATE background check.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top