JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
from https://forwardobserver.com

The Department of Defense released a contracting solicitation for nuclear-powered propulsion systems in space. The limiting factor of many space-based technologies are solar-powered systems and shielding, which the private sector aims to solve for "small and medium-sized spacecraft." Other nuclear propulsion efforts are underway for rapid cislunar maneuvering, spearheaded by Lockheed, Blue Origin, and General Atomics. (AC: International non-nuclear proliferation agreements are being cast aside as the U.S. is attempting to respond to Chinese and Russian joint projects aimed at constructing bases on the moon and militarizing near-Earth space. The increased nuclearization of space indicates it is considered contested territory by the U.S. and China. - D.M.)

from https://forwardobserver.com

The Department of Defense released a contracting solicitation for nuclear-powered propulsion systems in space. The limiting factor of many space-based technologies are solar-powered systems and shielding, which the private sector aims to solve for "small and medium-sized spacecraft." Other nuclear propulsion efforts are underway for rapid cislunar maneuvering, spearheaded by Lockheed, Blue Origin, and General Atomics. (AC: International non-nuclear proliferation agreements are being cast aside as the U.S. is attempting to respond to Chinese and Russian joint projects aimed at constructing bases on the moon and militarizing near-Earth space. The increased nuclearization of space indicates it is considered contested territory by the U.S. and China. - D.M.)
Nothing new. You need reaction mass in space. You either carry it (big limiter) with you or you accelerate what you find. Space is not 100% empty, there are hydrogen atoms floating around. You get enough of them and accelerate them fast enough, you get thrust. Do that continuously for months, years, you may actually get somewhere.

I think they mostly use chemical rockets. Hydarzine Something Somethingide. Nuke is still super expensive.
For orbital insertions, yea. But looks like we're both wrong on what powers most satellites up there. :rolleyes:

Looks like solar power is still king for satellites, however theres fuel cells and I do recall many communist/soviet era satellites using nuclear reactors.. at least there was the worry of radioactive materials returning from deorbits of decomissioned soviet era satellites

For orbital insertions, yea. But looks like we're both wrong on what powers most satellites up there. :rolleyes:

Looks like solar power is still king for satellites, however theres fuel cells and I do recall many communist/soviet era satellites using nuclear reactors.. at least there was the worry of radioactive materials returning from deorbits of decomissioned soviet era satellites
Sort of : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

It's not the stuff I don't know; It's the stuff I know that just ain't so.

(paraphrase of Mark Twain)
(I think it was Mark Twain. Was it really him?)
(Hell with it. I'm not looking it up.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads