JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really a landslide or debris flow, its a mine that collapsed right next to a body of water.

All was expected, hence why no one is freaking out.

Cool looking none the less.

Not really a landslide or debris flow, its a mine that collapsed right next to a body of water.

All was expected, hence why no one is freaking out.

Cool looking none the less.

nope - it;s a landslide man made or an act of God - land is moving downhill fast.

I agree tho my hunch is this may have been intentional-the mine may have been condemned. What better way to get water front property and get rid of an ugly looking mine.

nope - it;s a landslide man made or an act of God - land is moving downhill fast.

I agree tho my hunch is this may have been intentional-the mine may have been condemned. What better way to get water front property and get rid of an ugly looking mine.

(Im just nitpicking, so don't pay too much attention to or take offense from my detail)

In geomorphic terms a landslide typically describes a section of land that travels downhill as a somewhat cohesive mass. It is often used incorrectly in laymans terms to describe rocks/earth/ect moving downslope.

What this would be described as is a slope failure resulting in a debris/earth flow. The cause is obvious saturation (notable in the soil liquefaction) of the mines wall. Most likely caused by water infiltration from the water body behind (you can see the water moving through the wall if you look closely).

Sorry for the technical definition, but geomorphology is one of my areas of expertise.

Now this is what you could call a landslide :D

landslide.jpg

Oh and the description of the video describes a little bit about whats going on.

One thing for sure is that this wasn't global warming, if you look at the date 10/21/1993, Al Gore hadn't yet invented global warming in 1993, he was too busy inventing the internet. :p

dood - none taken.

but if you read what you wrote and view the video again... well. I dont see the difference. I see a bunch of landslides and debris flows (you got that one:) in a fluiditic state (just made the word up for other laymen) lubricated by the lake or ocean behind it - basically its chaos. so much so - you've got a buffet of natural events,

earthquakes
flooding
land slides
debris flows

all for one price :)

Not fake. Here's a clip that shows an aerial view after the slide: YouTube - Natural Disaster! Landslide in Japan

Nature is an amazing thing. Closer to home, and even bigger, is Rooster Rock.

Rooster Rock was an ancient landslide too. The entire rock slid, in its current upright position, off the side of Crown Point to where it rests today.

Keith

wow - and all I needed was one yard of 5/8minus for my driveway.

impressive.

Not fake. Here's a clip that shows an aerial view after the slide: YouTube - Natural Disaster! Landslide in Japan

Nature is an amazing thing. Closer to home, and even bigger, is Rooster Rock.

Rooster Rock was an ancient landslide too. The entire rock slid, in its current upright position, off the side of Crown Point to where it rests today.

Keith

Didn't know that - thanks for the info!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews