JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've bought ammo from them on several occasions. They had S&B 9mm Luger on sale for the longest time for just $10 a box (it's now $11 as of yesterday). I didn't realize until I got home the last time that I put a box of 9mm and two boxes of 380ACP on the counter and the clerk scanned the 9mm and did a x3. I should have been charged $34 but was only charged $30. I didn't think $4 was going to break them so I didn't go back to give them $4.

Always been good to me. I've bought mostly bulk ammo there but have bought a few firearms over the years. Happy to see the AR inventory building up, and like the specials offered here on the forum.

Was just in today with my wife and we bought her a S&W Sigma 9mm (used) for $229 and then while waiting for her background check, I found they had Mosin Nagants for $129.99, so I decided not to wait for another Big 5 sale and got one. Everyone that helped us (and we did look at several others before finding the used Sigma) was very helpful and friendly. It was quite busy there at the time.

Went there today to purchase something, staff was very helpful and let me handle a few guns that I was interested in narrowing down my choices. Prices were a little cheaper than some places I've been to in Portland, will definitely come back again for sure. Great job guys!

I've bought guns from the old store and this new one on McLaughlin Blvd.

The last one i bought was a Taurus 9111 and the clerk was most helpful, in that he field stripped the gun and showed me how to do it as well. The price was right and the sale was conducted most professionally. Not once did I feel rushed or was the sales clerk pushy.
Would I recommend Northwestt to a friend ...you bet.

Stopped by NW Armory after Curt's.

Gave it an average rating. Two or three younger guys were goofing around in the center counter area BSing with each other and no one ever asked if they could help me with anything. That usually doesn't bother me because in a gun shop since I really don't like to be pestered anyway. I don't have that confused look most shoppers have on their faces. When I need service, I usually make a spectacle out of myself to get assistance anyway.

Lack of pricing on most items makes it difficult to pick up small purchases as you browse around. Shipments of products in boxes, including ammo, just laying around opened and not put up on the shelves gives the place a cluttered feel. I guess the guys behind the counter were too busy shooting rubber bands at each other to stock the shelves.

Bought some targets, CCI MiniMags at potluck pricing - no tags, and called it good.

You get better service at Curt's by far.

Yeah...I had an average experience with them as well. I went in for a 9mm and didn't like the goofing around. The place was very busy but well staffed, and they were friendly and eager to help. The quality of the help wasn't so great. Lots of gun pointing (with finger *in* the trigger guard and a store full of people) and less than helpful comments ("I never clean my Glock, hoho!"), but not a lot of quality information, so I left.

Not a bad store by any means. I should probably go back on a quieter day before rating them here.

i was at northwest armory a couple weeks ago to buy some ammo for the weekend shooting fun and they asked me for my
drivers license # at the checkout.
I thought it was pretty low to ask for my odl # for 200 rounds.I know this is for homeland security to let big brother know who is buying what and i wouldn't expect that from 2a friendly gun shops.
they tried to say people sometimes leave stuff there and they need to get ahold of you but i think a phone # would be more appropriate.
it left a bad taste in my mouth with this place and i will take my business to curts from now on.it cost them an $800 sale on my new carry piece already.

checking I.D. to buy ammo? I look plenty old enough to purchace ammo, that would be a deal breaker for me.

he didnt ask to see the id just wanted to enter the number in his system,thats what got to me,i would show him to verify age without question but yes it makes me want to stop doing business with them.
i know the new banks and gun shops policy is to report anyone paying with cash or large amounts of cash or buying large amounts of ammo but this old guy looked like the owner or manager so to treat me like im a threat to national security is pretty communist at best.
so long nw armory....when did you become a puppet for big brother?

Hi 556 & sheepdip,

Thank you for visiting our store,

There are four reasons we check ID:

1) buying a firearm (a Federal & State Law)

2) Special Orders, we need to be able to contact the customer

3) Using a credit card, to protect our customers from their card being
used by another person.

4) checking the age during the purchase of ammo. By law
you must be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for handgun ammo.

Also, we do not share customer information or use it for mailing lists. Our computer system
is DOS based and not hooked up to the internet.

At our shop if you look over 21 years old and are paying cash (under $10,000) (never had a customer bring us $10,000)
we sell ammo without showing ID.

I hope this answers all of your questions and concerns?

Thank you,

Karl

556 did you pay with a credit card?

I do not see that in your post..

----------------------> also:

Karl,
I am a occasional customer and it would seem to me that photo ID with a credit card purchase would be sufficent.
As far as recording my DMV information for a general purchase like ammunition?

NO!

mjd.

Hi 556 & sheepdip,

Thank you for visiting our store,

There are four reasons we check ID:

1) buying a firearm (a Federal & State Law)

2) Special Orders, we need to be able to contact the customer

3) Using a credit card, to protect our customers from their card being
used by another person.

4) checking the age during the purchase of ammo. By law
you must be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for handgun ammo.

Also, we do not share customer information or use it for mailing lists. Our computer system
is DOS based and not hooked up to the internet.

At our shop if you look over 21 years old and are paying cash (under $10,000) (never had a customer bring us $10,000)
we sell ammo without showing ID.

I hope this answers all of your questions and concerns?

Thank you,

Karl

No,I bought 4 boxes of blackhills ammo(200 rounds)and paid cash for them $135'ish and was asked for my odl# to enter into the system.
I asked why do you want my odl#?and was told by the sales person and backed up by the younger salesperson that sometimes people leave stuff here and we need to get ahold of them!....a phone # should work better to reach me than going through dmv to get that same phone # wouldn't you think????
this is clearly invasion of privacy to ask for such a thing and i dont think it's for marketing purpose do you?
no it is to report people buying large quantities to DHS.what else could it be?
do you see my point nw armory???why do you want to go through dmv to get me phone number when you can just ask for it and i would gladly give that but not my odl or ss#'s....nobody.....nobody has ever asked for my odl # to buy enough ammo to shoot in one outing.
I love that store but unless this policy changes i will not do business with a company that wants to encroach on my second ammendment rights as an american.
promise us we will never be asked for an odl# to buy ammo again nw armory or you will lose business for this policy.i would gladly show it but you dont need to enter it into your system is all im saying,yes check it because its the law but dont enter it into the system for 200 rounds.
i left your store and went to fishermans and bought the springfield loaded from them 10 minutes after leaving your store because i felt violated.

by the way im 42 and look every bit of it so i know i was not mistaken for under 21.

if they asked me for my odl to enter into the system i would put the stuff back on the counter and walk out.
thats invasive to ask for,for a few boxes of ammo.
i can see checking id to verify age but not enter it into their system.not an odl,a phone number i have no problem with.
curts will phase nw armory out doing stuff like this.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.