JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been there only a handful of times but never lucky enough to get the longer lanes. Got lucky on Sunday at lane 4. I assumed that tall large stand has always been there? We were only there for about an hour due to all the rain. We got there dry and happy but left soaked, wet, and disappointed especially driving all the way from Gresham. Bummer! Maybe next time.....

If you guys are coming from that far lemme know next time. Shoot me a pm. Ill lend you my pop up....Im 30 seconds from 26 off Glencoe exit...

Ive got NO problem lending my stuff out as long as it comes back. Ive got target stands, pop ups, a steel plate....even IDPA targets ill give ya....as long as you bring it back. This goes for for EVERYONE. Dont be afraid to ask....

Last Edited:
I was up on lane 4 last Saturday morning and almost thought to take a picture of that monstrosity, made me wish I had a pick-up. I can only imagine how much it must have weighed. I always get there before sun up on weekends and set up my targets in the dark with a flash light. I always get lane 3 or 4. Don't like being up that early, let alone slogging threw the mud fest, but I figure it's good practice for when somebody breaks in while I'm sleeping :) But seriously, small price to pay to be sure to practice the way you've planned. Plus I'm always guaranteed to meet new people!

I was up on lane 4 last Saturday morning and almost thought to take a picture of that monstrosity, made me wish I had a pick-up. I can only imagine how much it must have weighed. I always get there before sun up on weekends and set up my targets in the dark with a flash light. I always get lane 3 or 4. Don't like being up that early, let alone slogging threw the mud fest, but I figure it's good practice for when somebody breaks in while I'm sleeping :) But seriously, small price to pay to be sure to practice the way you've planned. Plus I'm always guaranteed to meet new people!
That's pretty cool, Cos!

If you guys are coming from that far lemme know next time. Shoot me a pm. Ill lend you my pop up....Im 30 seconds from 26 off Glencoe exit...

Ive got NO problem lending my stuff out as long as it comes back. Ive got target stands, pop ups, a steel plate....even IDPA targets ill give ya....as long as you bring it back. This goes for for EVERYONE. Dont be afraid to ask....

Thanks for the offer but I really hate borrowing peoples stuff just because if it breaks or lost I'm now responsible for it. Plus if I have to buy a replacement why didn't I just buy it for myself in the first place? It goes both ways also. I've learned from past experiences lending people things that if it's not yours you tend to not care what happens to it, even family. You can only hope that they will do the right thing but don't expect it to happen. That's why I buy everything I need for any situation (even if it's a one time thing). If someone wants to borrow something now I tell them to come to the house and I can help them do it, otherwise no. It's my money and I worked hard for it, especially specialty tools they aren't cheap or always available.

Ain't it the truth! Got plans for those two as well!

We even considering embedding some holders (pipes) in the ground so you can drop in 1x2's for target holders (Lanes 1 & 2). Place them at standard widths. Trying to find ways to eliminate the need for bringing target stands (because they always end up being plywood or pallets!). Then all you'd need are the 1x2's, the cardboard cutouts and targets. If the holders work out well, we may want to incorporate them in to the other lanes and future lanes. Worth a try!

If angle iron is welded to the pipes it would deflect the bullet and help with the longevity of the pipes. I have a welder at work and would be willing to help wake the preeminent stands if you decide to do it

Out at the sites with ODF.

Cleaned up 4 a bit.

Took down the 4x4 stand that was left behind.

Lots of targets getting placed up top. We are looking to prevent this, any thoughts?

1-3 could use a bit of work.

If anyone is available let's get em clean!

Oh, bring some good boots, it's muddy out here.

Oh, saw some elk today too, they do exist.

7CF588C1-9B78-4AA2-8D51-0AAFB934A0FD.jpeg 3874B56D-FE07-4CCF-8440-4AA3A0F6BBBC.jpeg

I don't know if there will be a solid solution to stop targets from being placed up there. What needs to be done is access to that area. I think if the ramps on the side were dug out and more at a steeper angle it will be harder for people to walk up there. That might deter more people from placing things up there but that won't completely solve the problem. I'm sure anything used to fenced or gate the area will be used as targets and therefore rendering it useless.

I don't understand what the point of stopping people from going up there is? Lane 1 and 4. This is TSF land and that means public land. We've built these lanes to direct people there, instead of in the forest elsewhere which may not have a good back stop. To stop people from shooting trees. And make it easier to access for clean up. And now TRYing to stop people from going up above the cut? Seems the effort may be better spent elsewhere. The lanes are working exactly the way they were supposed to. The way I see it is the public has a right to go anywhere on TSF land, for the most part. Spend some time/effort stenciling "CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF", or other useful info, on the front of the barriers. If there's usable wood for target stands on the lanes, leave them. People may be less likely to leave true garbage if there's biodegradable material there to use instead. When it gets unusable take it out. You know there will be more show up.

I think it has more to do with condensed bullet impact and fire danger in the summer. The areas above the lanes are a good hillside backstop yes, but not maintained for bullet impact. Duff, leaves, branches get shot up into tinder...

pretty sure safety is the main concern. Even though there is still a backdrop above, ricochets can go weird places when you're shooting at an upwards angle.

Good point, we have 4 shooting lanes next to each other in a small area we really shouldnt have rounds leaving any range. Theres already been 1 complaint here of someone seeing people scrambling to place a target adjecent to their own lane.

I don't understand what the point of stopping people from going up there is? Lane 1 and 4. This is TSF land and that means public land. We've built these lanes to direct people there, instead of in the forest elsewhere which may not have a good back stop. To stop people from shooting trees. And make it easier to access for clean up. And now TRYing to stop people from going up above the cut? Seems the effort may be better spent elsewhere. The lanes are working exactly the way they were supposed to. The way I see it is the public has a right to go anywhere on TSF land, for the most part. Spend some time/effort stenciling "CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF", or other useful info, on the front of the barriers. If there's usable wood for target stands on the lanes, leave them. People may be less likely to leave true garbage if there's biodegradable material there to use instead. When it gets unusable take it out. You know there will be more show up.

I do agree with some of the things you point out. Yes, this is public land and the public has every right to do whatever they want (within the law of course). But if these are being abused and not used as they're originally intended they will be restricted and off limits to shooting, just like some of the more popular unofficial spots around Mt. Hood. Frankly we are pretty lucky to even have this. If that means following a few simple rules and guidelines I'm all for it. Again, these are pretty simple rules (shoot here, not there) and if they (ODF/Program Manager for that area/whoever in charge) see that we can follow simple rules then maybe they will be more incline to implement more lanes for us to use.

As stated there is no real solution to prevents targets being place up there. If I had a vote in it I wouldn't put in a penny more to prevent it. Instead that money would be spent solely on clean-ups as that seems to be the major issue at all these public ranges.

As for the target stand, I agree. If they're usable leave them there. People are more likely to use what is already there instead of hauling and setting up their own stuff. It's just easier and more convenient. Plus it makes it easier for whoever is doing the cleanup, instead of removing and hauling out a stand every time someone leaves one behind it will be put to good use.....over and over again.

Maybe we should just make it into a permanent steel target placed on a flat cleared dirt platform. You would not need to climb up there, (unless you're trying to steal the metal), just simply shoot what is there.

That could, or should, satisfy all.

Maybe we should just make it into a permanent steel target placed on a flat cleared dirt platform. You would not need to climb up there, (unless you're trying to steal the metal), just simply shoot what is there.

That could, or should, satisfy all.

Placed above the lane?

Was there yesterday, ppl had several targets above the lane to get a longer shot. Large group up there...

I think the steel would get stolen...

The reason for not wanting the continuation of the berm is to prevent fire and to prevent the further increment upwards. If we don't stop it, it will just keep going up and up and up. It will eventually get to the point where it is unsafe as well.

The 4x4 stand wasn't in good repair and was already pretty shot up, it should not be left there, nothing should be left behind, if it is packed in, it should be packed out.

The way I see it is the public has a right to go anywhere on TSF land, for the most part.

Unfortunately there is no amendment in our constitution federal or state that guarantees you the right to shoot on public lands.

Without public input and the public's willingness to use these lands responsibly, agencies like ODF find it hard to justify keeping areas open for all recreations.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top