JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just saw this thread, a buddy of mine was up shooting at the wolf creek area on Tuesday and said that someone was shooting where the work was being done. :mad: I wish he would have taken some shots (photographs) of the individual and the vehicle. Hopefully the person didn't trash the site too much, or even better, cleaned up after themselves.

Looking forward to this place re-opening and shooters cleaning up.

Its so frustration that people have no concept that they could ruin all this for all of us because they are selfish d bags.

After chatting with DOF about it. They are not happy about folks getting in while it is being worked on. However, they are very happy that it is being used correctly. The once unsafe shooting directions and destruction of vegetation did not take place. Yes they were @sshats and left their trash. But the other issues were non existent. This made them happy.

The bottom of the hill is blocked off by boulders so I had to hike up

TIpnJSg.jpg

30 yard range is getting some work. still needs the berm
lfvVE9p.jpg

there is a 4th area where the equipment is parked. not sure if this is going to turn into a 4th pistol range though

0nFk1zk.jpg

75 yard range has been widened for the pistol area

qIY8ss0.jpg

I did not hike to the very top to see the 100 yard range.

I'm not a user of this area, so I've never been there to see the layout. How wide is the improved berm? In the pics it looks pretty small. With how busy this place sounds, would there be value in making it 2-3x as wide so you could have several targets set up?
It looks like there's only room for one or two users.

I'm not a user of this area, so I've never been there to see the layout. How wide is the improved berm? In the pics it looks pretty small. With how busy this place sounds, would there be value in making it 2-3x as wide so you could have several targets set up?
It looks like there's only room for one or two users.

This is what they can do with their budget for now

There was nothing there before. just a lot of stumps that were getting shot up and a hill side. it was frustrating to clean because people shot bottles and glass sitting on the stumps and then it would rain down into the debris around the stumps. We were hoping they would just pull the stumps to make it easier to clean.

this
231542-1d8195c632fda09388796b1725b0e529.jpg

is now this

249918-de80bb22a064d5df0223e942dac256b6.jpg

I drove by today around noon. I was surprised how empty the forest was in general. Not a hole lot of folks out shooting. e wasn't anyone up at these sites either, or from what I could hear, the other few sites in this area.

I made this a 'Sticky' thread so we can easily find it and it doesn't get buried in between updates. It will stay up in the top section until we're done discussing it. I think it's kind of important we can keep track of the development steps.

Cogs.

@Norm0931 said: (In the original thread announcing this project... Opportunity to help the Forestry Department build a range in Tillamook forest (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/opportunity-to-help-the-forestry-department-build-a-range-in-tillamook-forest.213617/))...
The funds are used in Oregon as part of a grant system for range development from ODFW. Depending on how ODF wants to build and more importantly Pay for these ranges, we might be able to apply for a grant for them and that would cover 70% of the cost. That means we would only need to fund raise 30%.

I haven't heard about the fund raising efforts since. Do they have it covered and how are they paying for it? Do we know an actual cost or close estimate?

Thanks,

Cogs

@Norm0931 said: (In the original thread announcing this project... Opportunity to help the Forestry Department build a range in Tillamook forest (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/opportunity-to-help-the-forestry-department-build-a-range-in-tillamook-forest.213617/))...
The funds are used in Oregon as part of a grant system for range development from ODFW. Depending on how ODF wants to build and more importantly Pay for these ranges, we might be able to apply for a grant for them and that would cover 70% of the cost. That means we would only need to fund raise 30%.

I haven't heard about the fund raising efforts since. Do they have it covered and how are they paying for it? Do we know an actual cost or close estimate?

Thanks,

Cogs
For now they ODF and ODOT are picking up the tab as these sights are considered a "fire prevention step." Basically, they will make these sites fire safe and more attractive to encourage people to use them vs un-fire safe sites.

If ODF wants to continue this trend and develop a larger area then we would need funding.

Since I have to day off I made another trip up. Another 2 weeks is the answer I got from Jason on the time frame to completion.

Started work on the pistol berm at the 75 yard site (not finished of course)
20160705_124747.jpg

They may be adding a 2nd pistol lane. They are pulling clay from site I mentioned above where the equipment was to make a berm. It looks like it would now be a good 20 yard pistol lane now though we need to tell them if we want it finished.

20160705_125941.jpg
20160705_130009.jpg

20160705_130017.jpg

I thought it looked kind of familiar, it's where we cleaned up last year :)

This looks great, but i'll be honest, we could do with less hicks just helping themselves, AND being dicks about it too.

Quick update. Met with Randy and Jason today with the ODF. It sounds like we are going to get a 4tg lane after all. It was not by design, they were pulling dirt from the second site. Which was to be a dump site for the woody debree and then closed off. However they started to pull dirt from this site to have enough for building the close range berms on sites 3 and 4. In doing so an impromptu shooting lane was created. They agreed it would be too much work to close back up after removing all the dirt so it is on the books to make into a lane.

As for 1,3 and 4. They are progressing nicely and are looking close to finished.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top