JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad to see they blocked off the big landing a mile or so past the lanes. It was the one on the left as you go up the hill, with no backstop whatsoever.

I still can't believe people were reckless enough to shoot there. :s0002:
I saw a "really good spot" up on salmonberry last week, about 200-300 yards, level ground, shade and all... then I realized there was no back stop! I couldn't believe people were shooting there. Looked like it was adjacent to if not directected toward HWY26.
Oh well, I practically had the pit to myself.

I've only been able to get a spot at lane 1 and 2 so far. Wife and I really like the enviroment there and we clean our crap up. Holy ***** to those pics with the trash on lane 4

I went up to NFWC today, the first chance I've had to go up there in a couple of months. I was surprised that even with all of the rain we have been getting the dirt road from Hwy 26 up to the lane turn off was in really great shape. I had to look to find a pot hole and even that one was only a baby one and I had to throw it back. I did have a nice looking doe stare me down from the middle of the road for a few moments before she headed off into the brush.

The road up to the shooting lanes was it's usual rough and tumble condition. I got there around 11:45 and there was only one other person there at lane 3. I didn't go any further and just turned around there so I could park at lane 1 facing the gate. Lane 2 was open but it had more mud and was dirtier than lane 1, which had almost no mud to speak of except for one small depression area about 25 feet from the barrier. I set up my targets next to it and spent the next hour shooting my Beretta 92FS 9mm, S&W EZ .380 and Beretta 92 22lr pistols.

One thing I like about going in the middle of the week day like this, I do not feel rushed when I'm done and I can spend a little more time picking up trash, spent cartridges and shot gun shells...always shot gun shells. Nice and sunny today and about 70 degrees up there. A few other cars went by while I was shooting and one of them took my spot as I was getting into my truck.

One other thing I was doing was checking out a new electronic earmuff. It's the Impact Pro. It is the first electronic earmuff I've used and it did the job real well. Every time I fired and my ejected shell hit the leaves or the plastic I had on the ground, the amplified hearing made me think someone was walking up behind me and I'd turn around and look. :) Once I got use to it, I like the amplified speakers and how you can hear normally compared to a non electronic pair. I was by myself and couldn't test out how well people's voices came through, but from the other noises I heard, I expect it should work pretty good. I'll be getting my wife a set as well.

Mike

I went up to NFWC today, the first chance I've had to go up there in a couple of months. I was surprised that even with all of the rain we have been getting the dirt road from Hwy 26 up to the lane turn off was in really great shape. I had to look to find a pot hole and even that one was only a baby one and I had to throw it back. I did have a nice looking doe stare me down from the middle of the road for a few moments before she headed off into the brush.

The road up to the shooting lanes was it's usual rough and tumble condition. I got there around 11:45 and there was only one other person there at lane 3. I didn't go any further and just turned around there so I could park at lane 1 facing the gate. Lane 2 was open but it had more mud and was dirtier than lane 1, which had almost no mud to speak of except for one small depression area about 25 feet from the barrier. I set up my targets next to it and spent the next hour shooting my Beretta 92FS 9mm, S&W EZ .380 and Beretta 92 22lr pistols.

One thing I like about going in the middle of the week day like this, I do not feel rushed when I'm done and I can spend a little more time picking up trash, spent cartridges and shot gun shells...always shot gun shells. Nice and sunny today and about 70 degrees up there. A few other cars went by while I was shooting and one of them took my spot as I was getting into my truck.

One other thing I was doing was checking out a new electronic earmuff. It's the Impact Pro. It is the first electronic earmuff I've used and it did the job real well. Every time I fired and my ejected shell hit the leaves or the plastic I had on the ground, the amplified hearing made me think someone was walking up behind me and I'd turn around and look. :) Once I got use to it, I like the amplified speakers and how you can hear normally compared to a non electronic pair. I was by myself and couldn't test out how well people's voices came through, but from the other noises I heard, I expect it should work pretty good. I'll be getting my wife a set as well.

Mike
What's really nice is taking phone calls on a live range! :s0114:

Looking to take the family up there this weekend, what can I expect as far as how busy and wait times for the lanes? Are lanes 1 and 2 pistol and shotgun only, or could my boys plink with a 22 rifle there also? Any suggestions on best times to head up either Saturday or Sunday?

Looking to take the family up there this weekend, what can I expect as far as how busy and wait times for the lanes? Are lanes 1 and 2 pistol and shotgun only, or could my boys plink with a 22 rifle there also? Any suggestions on best times to head up either Saturday or Sunday?
Early in the morning, or you might expect to wait for quite a while. I would go for better weather or shoot in the rain when it is less crowded.
You you can plink with a 22lr in those lanes, they're just not going to be shooting at a distance. The lanes are good for everything within 20 yards.

Weekends can be very busy through out the day, although maybe not so much with the predicted rain on Sat. I haven't tried a weekend in some time because it gets full fast. What I started doing was taking off work a little early and going up on a week day afternoon around 3 or 4 pm. That may not be an option for you, plus being in Portland it would take you longer to get there than it does for me from Hillsboro.

When I did go on the weekend I found I had to get there very early to have a chance at a lane, like before 7 am. Some people get there before it gets light. Later in the morning and through out the day will be a steady stream of people coming through.

Lane 1 would be ok for 22lr rifle depending on how far you want to put the rifle targets. Lane 2 would also work but maybe just a bit less better. I only shoot pistols so haven't paid a lot of attention on how it would be with rifles, but it should work.

One suggestion, if you drive in and see lane 1 or 2 empty, grab them right away. Do not go up to lane 3 where you can turn around or someone may grab them while you are doing that. I've had that happen before.

I hope you have fun if you get to shoot.

Mike

Early in the morning, or you might expect to wait for quite a while. I would go for better weather or shoot in the rain when it is less crowded.
You you can plink with a 22lr in those lanes, they're just not going to be shooting at a distance. The lanes are good for everything within 20 yards.

Thanks for the advice.

Weekends can be very busy through out the day, although maybe not so much with the predicted rain on Sat. I haven't tried a weekend in some time because it gets full fast. What I started doing was taking off work a little early and going up on a week day afternoon around 3 or 4 pm. That may not be an option for you, plus being in Portland it would take you longer to get there than it does for me from Hillsboro.

When I did go on the weekend I found I had to get there very early to have a chance at a lane, like before 7 am. Some people get there before it gets light. Later in the morning and through out the day will be a steady stream of people coming through.

Lane 1 would be ok for 22lr rifle depending on how far you want to put the rifle targets. Lane 2 would also work but maybe just a bit less better. I only shoot pistols so haven't paid a lot of attention on how it would be with rifles, but it should work.

One suggestion, if you drive in and see lane 1 or 2 empty, grab them right away. Do not go up to lane 3 where you can turn around or someone may grab them while you are doing that. I've had that happen before.

I hope you have fun if you get to shoot.

Mike

I thought about trying after work, but would probably be 6 or after before we could get up there. I'd rather make the drive and wait than make the drive and not be able to shoot at all if we ran out of daylight. Yes, I learned my lesson young with camping spots on trying to "grab a better one" and passing up the first one that's open haha.

Dumb question but with hunting season being live right now, is it legal still shoot at North Fork Wolf Creek? i have been trying to find places to shoot but they have been close for hunting use only, been wanting to try my first ar-15 build and dont want to shoot it in an indoor range. Thanks in advance.

Dumb question but with hunting season being live right now, is it legal still shoot at North Fork Wolf Creek? i have been trying to find places to shoot but they have been close for hunting use only, been wanting to try my first ar-15 build and dont want to shoot it in an indoor range. Thanks in advance.
All Oregon State Forest is open for recreational shooting during all hunting seasons. If someone is telling you it is closed they are blowing smoke.

Technically hunting is a form of recreational shooting, so if the state were to close the forest to recreational shooting it could include hunting with firearms.

ok so im good to shoot there or even scott mills if id like?
I think Scott mills is actually closed. That's BLM Land if I recall. They closed it a while back, I'm not entirely sure if they actually patrol or regulate that area though. @Cogs May know more about Scott mills road query.

That's if I'm thinking of the right pit off the right side of highway 26...

Well we made it up there this morning, not as early as I planned but the rain was coming down pretty good on our way out of town so I figured we'd have better odds at getting a lane.

We got there a little after 7am and lanes 1 and 2 were open (parked at 1 first then I walked down to 2 to make sure it was open before we pulled down...) so we took lane 2 since there was 5 of us. I could here shooting from lane 3 or 4 when we got there but not sure which one as we didn't head down there to check them out, will next time. Shortly after we were set up multiple cars were pulling in and lane 1 was taken very quickly. Quite a few vehicles throughout the morning so I can see where it would be hard to get a spot on a nicer day, especially later in the day.

It was great to stumble on this info about the site, and will definitely be back, but even earlier next time....I was a little disappointed in the amount of trash and spent casings left behind at site 2 (hundreds of .22 casing all over the ground) and shotgun shells, but we packed out a full bag of garbage with us so little by little the good guys can keep it clean. Haven't people heard of tarps??.....

Big thanks to those who spent the time and effort creating this area, it's not a bad drive at all from Portland and I felt it was a pretty safe environment compared to others I have been too. I'll keep my eyes out for the next big cleanup or work needing done and we will be there.

Thanks for the report. It may be worth getting a small clean up organized for all four lanes here soon. I'm pretty sure lane 3 needs its ballistic sand re-shoveled back up onto its berm too.

I'll post up here in a few weeks to get something together.

how is the weather up there at the range? ill be going out Tuesday so hoping not to bad,
It's extremely foggy right now, but it should clear up by then.
:s0114:
Thanks for the report. It may be worth getting a small clean up organized for all four lanes here soon. I'm pretty sure lane 3 needs its ballistic sand re-shoveled back up onto its berm too.

I'll post up here in a few weeks to get something together.
Please keep us updated.
Salmonberry could use it too... unfortunately I have no idea how to reasonably get a TV into my vehicle...
:s0123::s0012::s0107:

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top