JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just out of curiosity could one go here and do mag dumps from an AK and shoot slugs and buck at cardboard targets 15 yards or closer?

I just really want to find somewhere I can rapid fire/mag dump and also see the damage to the targets as it's happening.

Just out of curiosity could one go here and do mag dumps from an AK and shoot slugs and buck at cardboard targets 15 yards or closer?

I just really want to find somewhere I can rapid fire/mag dump and also see the damage to the targets as it's happening.
Yeah dude. You can mag dump if you've got the ammo. Each of the 4 lanes have backstops.

Last Edited:
Hey Everyone,

Just a reminder, the new Trash No Land hosted blog is now online and ready for people to sign up. It's free of course and will focus solely on stewardship efforts for public land target shooting. Each forest has been assigned it's own thread just like this one on NWFA for the Wolf Creek lanes. This new blog is intended to run in tandem with this thread, but it's only focus is on discussions about and organization of efforts to maintain and improve the lanes and future developments in the Tillamook State Forest. Up until now notification and coordination of clean-up efforts have been spread around several threads and often separated by pages of non-clean-up related posts making it difficult for those wishing to participate to stay up to speed. To this end, the new TNL hosted blog will be that clearing house for coordinating efforts and town center for developing expanded opportunities.

If you are interested in taking an active roll in the care taking of our beloved lanes, please use the link to the new blog below, sign up if you haven't already, then navigate to the Tillamook SF thread and add your name to the list of volunteers under the 'Committee Director' post:

To get registered

To add your name to the list of volunteers

For you consideration, an idea put forth by @Cogs and ODF; with a refurbishing of lanes 1 and 4 still pending, an idea for lane 4 has been proposed and I would like input from this group. The idea, instead of rebuilding the existing pistol berm on the right side of the firing line, the area behind it be cleared out all the way to the rifle distance making the whole lane a long distance lane. What are your thoughts on this? For me personally, I like the idea. I often set up a paper target at pistol distances on the longer sides of both lanes 3 and 4 because the pistol berms messes with my Labradar chronograph and sometimes I've done it because there were already people set up on the pistol side. As I see it, it will require people to use some kind of target stand if they want to shoot at shorter distances instead of just placing junk on the pistol berm.

Hey Everyone,

Just a reminder, the new Trash No Land hosted blog is now online and ready for people to sign up. It's free of course and will focus solely on stewardship efforts for public land target shooting. Each forest has been assigned it's own thread just like this one on NWFA for the Wolf Creek lanes. This new blog is intended to run in tandem with this thread, but it's only focus is on discussions about and organization of efforts to maintain and improve the lanes and future developments in the Tillamook State Forest. Up until now notification and coordination of clean-up efforts have been spread around several threads and often separated by pages of non-clean-up related posts making it difficult for those wishing to participate to stay up to speed. To this end, the new TNL hosted blog will be that clearing house for coordinating efforts and town center for developing expanded opportunities.

If you are interested in taking an active roll in the care taking of our beloved lanes, please use the link to the new blog below, sign up if you haven't already, then navigate to the Tillamook SF thread and add your name to the list of volunteers under the 'Committee Director' post:

To get registered

To add your name to the list of volunteers

For you consideration, an idea put forth by @Cogs and ODF; with a refurbishing of lanes 1 and 4 still pending, an idea for lane 4 has been proposed and I would like input from this group. The idea, instead of rebuilding the existing pistol berm on the right side of the firing line, the area behind it be cleared out all the way to the rifle distance making the whole lane a long distance lane. What are your thoughts on this? For me personally, I like the idea. I often set up a paper target at pistol distances on the longer sides of both lanes 3 and 4 because the pistol berms messes with my Labradar chronograph and sometimes I've done it because there were already people set up on the pistol side. As I see it, it will require people to use some kind of target stand if they want to shoot at shorter distances instead of just placing junk on the pistol berm.
I think this would be a fine option. Sounds like we wouldn't try to build up a berm in front of the hillside, like the long range gravel berm on the left side on lane 3. Just clear out the small trees (most are shot off to ground level anyway), and brush out the impact zone.

This will eventually lead to the erosion of the hillside, (like it currently is on lane 4), but that's something we can deal with later if we all feel it's a problem.

It would certainly help in the cost of upgrading lane 4 because we wouldn't have the cost of building 2 'sustainable' berms like we did with lane 3, (which is the majority of the upgrade cost). Still, I am dead set on doing a gravel path all the way down and grade the range to avoid standing water.

If ODF is willing to do this, it means we can easily get more lanes put in in other locations in that area. Simple excavate, put down some light gravel and drop down the firing lines. I like it.

BETTER YET... Find a volunteer to do the excavation work. If we can get a volunteer, who has the backhoe and experience, we can do it ourselves. More savings and we don't have to wait for fundraising efforts or grants. Then all we need are basic funds to buy the gravel and jersey barrier firing lines.

Hint... we have another area we could improve right away if volunteers could help clear out, trail build and install the permanent targets. It may be worth it to have lanes that reach out to 200 & 400 yards.

Magdump? Personally I stay away from the lanes now. Never get a spot and I see lots of people who seem to be not very safe.

20201129_153839_1.gif

I was shooting earlier this week and there were some burnt up socks and mittens on lane 2, right on the Jersey barrier. It was so disgusting, good thing I brought my own table and chair. It was still fresh too, as the ash was still powder. I tired to clean up some of it best I could, but it was literally melted and burned plastic globs glued to the barrier.

I saw the occasional burned 12 gauge husks on lane 3, but this was something else. At least the rest of the lane was relatively clean. And no sign of the creepy brass pickers from last week either.

I was shooting earlier this week and there were some burnt up socks and mittens on lane 2, right on the Jersey barrier. It was so disgusting, good thing I brought my own table and chair. It was still fresh too, as the ash was still powder. I tired to clean up some of it best I could, but it was literally melted and burned plastic globs glued to the barrier.

I saw the occasional burned 12 gauge husks on lane 3, but this was something else. At least the rest of the lane was relatively clean. And no sign of the creepy brass pickers from last week either.
We probably should put refreshing the gravel in between the jersey barriers on each lane on our 'to-do' lists, much of it has spilled out on the ends and I too have run across bizarre burn piles on top of them at several of the lanes over the years. We might be able to handle this ourselves by shoveling what's already there level and pouring new gravel on top. We could do one lane at a time hauling up the gravel ourselves, a good future work party idea.

I'm sorry but Is this considered an unsafe stance/way to hold your weapon when shooting?
Well, firing from the hip is generally unsafe, especially when coupled with short barrels and high recoil/automatic weapons, as the recoil can kick the barrel upwards toward your head (which is a very bad thing), or limp wristing it can cause harm to other people around you.

I'm sorry but Is this considered an unsafe stance/way to hold your weapon when shooting?
Depends. Its an AK pistol, I have no problem shooting it from the hip like this and I can actually hit stuff with it this way too. I wouldn't it consider unsafe when you know how to handle your weapon. I have my firing hand pushed into my side and aim with the other holdig the foreend. If you dont hold onto it right it will go all over on you!

Edit: i also only did that to do a quick slowmo video of the fireballs!

Tomorrow, Sat Jan 9th, @Cosimel and I are meeting with ODF Statewide Recreation Director Randy Peterson to discuss options for Lane 4 short berm or not. We will also address the concerns about the Day Use flat area on the corner of Lane 3. Beyond that, we plan to visit the site where we're planning a long range site. We'll keep you posted as to what we discuss and any conclusions we may come to.

For now, you have this evening to comment on your preference of having a short pistol berm on lane 4 or not. If not, we would remove the short berm and make it all a wide long range. Steve and I will convey your comments to ODF. It's your range, not ours. We are just the negotiators who work to achieve what you want. So, you da boss! (Hey boss, can I get a raise here?)!!! :)

Tomorrow, Sat Jan 9th, @Cosimel and I are meeting with ODF Statewide Recreation Director Randy Peterson to discuss options for Lane 4 short berm or not. We will also address the concerns about the Day Use flat area on the corner of Lane 3. Beyond that, we plan to visit the site where we're planning a long range site. We'll keep you posted as to what we discuss and any conclusions we may come to.

For now, you have this evening to comment on your preference of having a short pistol berm on lane 4 or not. If not, we would remove the short berm and make it all a wide long range. Steve and I will convey your comments to ODF. It's your range, not ours. We are just the negotiators who work to achieve what you want. So, you da boss! (Hey boss, can I get a raise here?)!!! :)
Long range would be good. Are we talking over 300m?

Are we talking over 300m?
m=? Meters? I'll have to get a converter for that! ;)

It's planned to be 200, 250 and 400 yards with permanent steel targets. You can bring your own targets, if you want, and set them at the 100 yrd area, otherwise, you wouldn't need any targets. Just show up, shoot, pick up your brass and go.

If you take the short berm off #4, people will still setup to shoot pistols regardless. If the "long range" lane is a no go, and you put up a short berm on 4, you limit lane 4 to pretty much only 1 longer range slot which is not ideal. Quite the conundrum.

If you take the short berm of #4, people will still setup to shoot pistols regardless. If the "long range" lane is a no go, and you put up a short berm on 4, you limit lane 4 to pretty much only 1 longer range slot which is not ideal. Quite the conundrum.
Oh, you can still shoot short range. Just set a target where you want and good to go. There's a big backstop, so no prob.

m=? Meters? I'll have to get a converter for that! ;)

It's planned to be 200, 250 and 400 yards with permanent steel targets. You can bring your own targets, if you want, and set them at the 100 yrd area, otherwise, you wouldn't need any targets. Just show up, shoot, pick up your brass and go.
looking forward to it. I just hope no one destroys the posts or chains that the steel gets hung on. And rough dates for this? I assume you guys will need help. I remember putting in the trap rang on sauvies island

looking forward to it. I just hope no one destroys the posts or chains that the steel gets hung on. And rough dates for this? I assume you guys will need help. I remember putting in the trap rang on sauvies island
Shoot yeah! You were on the trap rebuild! Cool!

The long range permanent targets are to be 1" AR500, about 2'x2', bolted to a base that is sunk underground in concrete. No bolts exposed, not chains, not posts.

The completion date depends on volunteer support. Most of the work could be done by volunteers and we'd have to buy the 3 steel targets and have them shipped to the site. Then we'd have to figure out how to pack them up to the installation location. There will also be some concrete mixing/pouring, but that can be done in a wheel barrow. Before that will be the removal of stumps, logs and debris, and forge a trail out to the 100 yard mark (no trail to the permanent targets).

We could actually get this done sometime this summer. Depends on the volunteer support and the funds we raise.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top