JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Basic bore cleaning.. Hoppes #9

Copper solvent.. Pro Shot copper solvent 2

Basic lubes.. synthetic motor oil, (I have a lifetime supply since I accidentally bought Royal Purple non detergent racing oil on line for my cobra instead of the street formula) Breakfree CLP and for cold weather and gritty places several teflon dry lubes may work for your particular gun. I use a dry teflon spray for the insides of my magazines after they are cleaned

I clean everything in the sink with hot water and hand dish detergent and brushes, works great and especially ensures that corrosive salts are cleaned out of every nook and cranny

For carbon and fouling removal I used CLP or #9 for years, but now I like MPro7 much, much better. It removes carbon really fast with no smell. Keep it off wood however. I've tried Gunzilla and its ok too, and it works pretty well also as a lube/oil.

For copper removal in bores, Shooter's Choice, but I have started using Gunzilla's copper remover and I havent yet decided which works better. For degreasing, ordinary spray brake cleaner done outdoors. For rail grease, Tetra, but I am not that particular.

I like to give most guns an overall spray wash with a light solvent after the initial cleaning. Such as Outers.

For oil, I am not that particular, but I do like a low viscosity oil like RemOil or sewing machine oil when I need to dispense just a drop from pin oiler. For overall wiping, I like something thicker.

For rust prevention, particularly in hidden places, like under rifle barrels and under pistol grips, I used to use Rig, but now I really like Eezox better than anything. It also works very well on bare cast iron machines like tablesaws. It seems to work pretty well as a lube/oil also. It smells pretty "toxic" and I only put up with it because it is the best.

For higher end guns that need a metal or wood polish, I use Renaissance wax. A little bit goes a very long way and it is not nasty with solvent like Johnsons or Briwax.

Wipeout for copper. Hoppes and kroil for the rest. I've been using kroil for cleaning my pistols. I shoot cast lead bullets and for whatever reason kroil works good.

Eezox. Once you have tried it, you wont use anything else. It's that good.

for grease, I use slide-glide: Brian Enos's Slide-Glide Firearm Lubricant & Gun Grease

I use to use hoppes 9, and remoil.... Never again. doesn't hold a candle to Eezox.

I've also tried frog lube, works pretty good, and I use it strictly on only one AR, but I use Eezox on ALL my other AR's and all other weapons.

These are only my Personal Opinions.

Here is a link to a corrosion test. This isn't a lube test, just a corrosion test:

Corrosion Protection Products within AccurateShooter.com

Stay Safe.

These type of threads are the reason I have a shelf full of different solvents, oils, and cleaners.

Me too.

But I also get ideas about new things to try and I also get the opportunity to be generous with my friends by giving away perfectly good products that seemed to be a greatest idea at the time. Gotta go, need to search the net for Corrosion-X.

I've gotta laugh. Just like madcratebuilder said, it's threads like this that explains why I have a shelf full of products! Now, after reading this thread I've got more to try!!! Goofy as it sounds I like FP-10 because I really like the smell. I don't know if it is any better or worse than anything else out there but I find I use it more because of the smell.

BTW, does it make sense to either heat up a part before or after lubricating it to get the lubricant to penetrate deeper?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top