JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
County council voted to end access to the pit. :s0131:

http://heraldnet.com/article/201002...gun.enthusiasts.from.former.Sultan.gravel.pit

County Council shoos gun enthusiasts from former Sultan gravel pit

By Andy Rathbun

EVERETT — Target shooters need to find a new place to go.

That was the message from the Snohomish County Council on Wednesday after the group voted 3-0 to declare a gravel pit outside Sultan a no-shooting area.

After two hours of public testimony, the council supported a group of neighbors who wanted the pit closed, disappointing dozens of target shooters.

“I love these issues where we get to make everyone happy,” Councilman Dave Somers said wryly.

Somers joined Councilmen John Koster and Dave Gossett in voting to close the shooting area. Councilmen Mike Cooper and Brian Sullivan were absent from the hearing.

The pit, located at the end of 116th Street SE, became a hot-button issue last spring.

The state Department of Natural Resources began directing target shooters to the spot, which is surrounded by forested walls of earth. Word spread among gun owners. The DNR told shooters to go to the gravel pit prior to its closing of access to the Reiter Foothills.

Before long, residents living near the pit were complaining of gunfire and occasional explosions. Some no longer felt safe in their own back yards.

Scott Riefler, a gun owner living near the pit, was among those who wanted it closed.

“Simply stated, we’re being shot at,” he told the council.

Neighbors urged the council to declare it a no-shooting area. They weren’t alone.

DNR officials gave the site a closer inspection before the meeting and supported the change. They determined homeowners were at risk from stray bullets.

Target shooters defended the pit, however, saying it was safe. They said they maintained the spot, keeping it clean of garbage and telling new visitors to use correct gun practices.

“I do believe this pit is a safe place to shoot,” said Lance Axtell, a Monroe resident.

Target shooters said without the pit, they will have nowhere to go.

That led Councilman Koster to ask DNR officials if they could maintain the site until the county opens a new gun range.

Bill Wallace, northwest region manager for the DNR, said staffing issues will make that impossible.

“To be frank with you,” he said, “we don’t have the resources to manage it now.”

More than 60 people attended the hearing. While the crowd disagreed on many points — the distance bullets will travel, the legality of shooting at the pit — most agreed target shooters need to be given a new range.

Efforts are under way to do just that.

The county plans to take control of 186 acres from the DNR farther north on Sultan Basin Road, near Olney Creek. The county could get that land by the end of the year, although a timeline for developing a gun range hasn’t been determined.

Until a new range opens, target shooters such as Jim Heald will be left with one big question.

“Where do I go now?” he asked.

Last Edited:
I've been shooting at the Sultan Pit for about a year now, my gun club was holding quarterly organzied events there. I've bought and built equipment such as a shooting bench and target stands specifically for use there. Now I'm feeling screwed over by Snohomish County. The only other places I know of to shoot are club ranges that all have annual fees, lots of rules, and in some cases multi-year waiting lists to join, plus they are all much farther away from where I live compared to the Sultan Pit. Is there any other place remotely close to the Sultan pit to shoot?

Forgive my ignorance...

I went shooting last week up in Sultan with some friends. We weren't in a "pit" and there were no "No Guns" signs anywhere we saw. Although we did see certain areas that had them, so we assumed that if we were in a spot not posted as such, it was okay? I didn't drive, so I don't know exactly where we were as I'm not from that area either. It was in an area with a lot of cut down trees and looked like a bomb had gone off and leveled the place. There were tons of shotgun shells and other casings everywhere and clearly the spot had been used for shooting many times. Along the drive, looking for a private spot, we saw many vehicles parked in their own private spots which I can only assume they were shooters as well. However we didn't hear any other gunshots the whole day -- maybe we were just that spaced apart and with the trees and all they could buffer the sound?

So my question is, was this a "legal" spot? or is ALL of Sultan off limits now?

Related, I was telling another friend of mine how much fun we had (and of course we took out more trash than we brought in, including our brass and targets of course), and he informed me to be careful because if a cop had come by, he could legally confiscate ALL of our weapons and related that were on our persons and in our vehicles and we'd never get them back -- that's the reason he said he doesn't shoot in Sultan for the past year or so. Is this true?

I would think the most they could do would be to ticket/fine us and send us on our way. Confiscate though? That seems extreme.

Can some of you wiser gents shed some truth or fiction to this?

nobody seems to know, can't the local sheriff's office tell us? or fish and game or something? I thought you could shoot on most any forest service road as long as it wasn't within a few miles of any residence or building or campground type thing. surely you can just drive up on these forest roads outside of verlot/green mountain etc and find an open area with a good backstop and it's fine. I was up on that green mountain road and heard plenty of gunshots and saw two or three other groups with guns shooting. I mean these roads go for a long ways up there, you can drive for miles and miles on them and some of them can get fairly remote. I know cause I used to go hiking a lot and drove all these roads(used to run into logging trucks which was kinda scary but these days they hardly log anymore anyway.

Firearms and target shooting.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.

(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.

(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.

(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.

(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.

(3) Where is target shooting permitted?

(a) Persons may target shoot in:

(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or

(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.

Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.

(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.

(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:

(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;

(ii) Residences;

(iii) Businesses;

(iv) Structures;

(v) Other areas as restricted;

(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.

(4) What may be used as a target?

(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:

(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;

(ii) Vegetation;

(iii) Structures;

(iv) Gates;

(v) Vehicles;

(vi) Signs;

(vii) Other department improvements;

(viii) Appliances;

(ix) Furniture;

(x) Glass;

(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;

(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;

(xiii) Wildlife;

(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

(xv) Garbage of any kind.

Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.

(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.

(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.

(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

[Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.30 RCW and RCW 43.12.065. 09-05-034, § 332-52-145, filed 2/11/09, effective 3/14/09.]

Well according to my friend that found the original spot for us, he called several agencies, police, etc. and confirmed that where we were is in fact LEGAL and they even suggested other locations near there too.

Ya I was pretty angry when that place went.

Don't even try to shoot up sultan basin road, the deputy that patrols that area is keen to make sure no one shoots up there. We tried it once in a great safe place with no signs and he acted like we were idiots. Its too bad as there are some really really good and safe places for target practice. Apparentlythey are planning on building a public range about 6 miles up the basin road.

And whats with the "No shooting by order of city council" signs? Last time I checked state owned land was not under influence by the city council which would be Sultan @ ten miles out of town.... I had a State patrol officer tell me that it was legal to shoot up there as long as you were 100ft off of the road and being safe, and that the only people that had jurisdiction were DNR officials and State law enforcement, not county or city. But I wasn't about to tell the officer that. I wanted to stay on his good side....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top