JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new-in-the-box NIKON Prostaff 3 X 9 X 40 with BDC that I'm considering selling to a friend for a deer / elk rifle. I have searched trying to find when this scope ended its production run but so far haven't found a thing. I was also trying to find what they sold for new and only found one source (due to being discontinued) at roughly $180.

Curious what opinions might be on current market value although I'll probably cut that figure in 1/2 (they won't take it as a gift).

Thanks much.

$90 would be a good price, I'd buy it for that. Nikon went through some changes a while back and they seemed to "flip" their budget line names with their better lineup. How old is your scope?

Well my memory was foggy on this until I dug around in my files. it is not NOS. I bought it roughly 7 years ago and remembered when digging for details that I did mount it to my then new M-1 Garand with an offset mount. However, the offset mount interfered with the ejection path of spent brass so I removed it after 19 rounds (brass hit the lower part of the mount but never hit the scope tube). There is evidence on the tube where I had the mounting rings installed but no scratches in the black finish. I have pretty severe eye issues and while I can do "OK" with the original iron sights, I was looking for an optical advantage.

Last Edited:
Nikon went through some changes a while back
Yea, the biggest change is they quit manufacturing riflescopes in 2020.

I stumbled on a brand new 3 X 9 BDC in the LaPine Bi -Mart about this time and it was marked down to $90 - needless to say I bought it, not necessarily because I needed a new scope but figured for the price I might use it on something, someday.

Did they also make spotting scopes?

On this 3 x 9 x 40 scope, I'm going to give it to a friend's son who just started hunting this year. He has a pristine 35-year old Winchester 30.06 with iron sights that will be perfect for what he wants to use it for.

I do have a couple of Swift scopes in 2 x 7 x 32 & 2 x 7 x 40 that are NOS that I'll put up for sale.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top