JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new-in-the-box NIKON Prostaff 3 X 9 X 40 with BDC that I'm considering selling to a friend for a deer / elk rifle. I have searched trying to find when this scope ended its production run but so far haven't found a thing. I was also trying to find what they sold for new and only found one source (due to being discontinued) at roughly $180.

Curious what opinions might be on current market value although I'll probably cut that figure in 1/2 (they won't take it as a gift).

Thanks much.

$90 would be a good price, I'd buy it for that. Nikon went through some changes a while back and they seemed to "flip" their budget line names with their better lineup. How old is your scope?

Well my memory was foggy on this until I dug around in my files. it is not NOS. I bought it roughly 7 years ago and remembered when digging for details that I did mount it to my then new M-1 Garand with an offset mount. However, the offset mount interfered with the ejection path of spent brass so I removed it after 19 rounds (brass hit the lower part of the mount but never hit the scope tube). There is evidence on the tube where I had the mounting rings installed but no scratches in the black finish. I have pretty severe eye issues and while I can do "OK" with the original iron sights, I was looking for an optical advantage.

Last Edited:
Nikon went through some changes a while back
Yea, the biggest change is they quit manufacturing riflescopes in 2020.

I stumbled on a brand new 3 X 9 BDC in the LaPine Bi -Mart about this time and it was marked down to $90 - needless to say I bought it, not necessarily because I needed a new scope but figured for the price I might use it on something, someday.

Did they also make spotting scopes?

On this 3 x 9 x 40 scope, I'm going to give it to a friend's son who just started hunting this year. He has a pristine 35-year old Winchester 30.06 with iron sights that will be perfect for what he wants to use it for.

I do have a couple of Swift scopes in 2 x 7 x 32 & 2 x 7 x 40 that are NOS that I'll put up for sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top