JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been watching a lot of videos and researching picking up a scope or goggles for for night hunting. I'd like to hunt some boar down south...

Anyone have recommendations, best available tech for about $3k? Figure nothing longer than 100 yards for shooting...

Any retailers sell this stuff locally and allow a demo?

I really like the Gen 3 units with phosphor. Also really like the thermal and think it's better for brush hunting.

Thanks...

JSM

Gen 3 is great. But you will need helmet, IR laser like a DBAL i2 or something similar if you want to get more use out of the system. That's $3500, $500, $800. So save a bit more. Mounting NV unit on gun you won't be able to walk around all that well. Thermal good for identification, but unless you just want a weapon mounted unit, it's going to be of limited use. Perhaps buy a small hand held Thermal unit to scan, then use NV and IR to bag and tag.

An alternative for a non weapon mounted thermal solution that will not destroy the bank is Leupold's Thermal Trackers. I know that they HD versions coming soon.

Here is a right up Review: Leupold comes out of the gate swinging with and affordable solution to thermal Imaging devices - LTO Tracker and Quest

As for night Vision I have a dual tube gen 3 setup, but as a lot of guys noted before, there are additional costs that come into play when you go this route. It can def get expensive. For rifles, I prefer the PEQ-15's for usability but have run the DBAL's as well. For Pistols, Surefire has their X400 Ir C which is awesome, full IR laser, IR Illuminator and White light.

Here is a right up SureFire-IR weapons light, Combat application or practical defense?

Just wanted to add another point of view. Hope it helps

Have you used this yet? I'd be interested in hearing your review on it. I'm interested in something to hypothetically reduce the coyote population in the night hours...
I've only have had a chance to play around with it in my house in the dark. Once I focus it I could clearly tell who I was looking at in pitch dark. it wasn't on my rifle yet. Unfortunately mine didn't come with the cables so I can't upload the pictures I took with it yet. Hoping soon to take it to my buddies house and see how it works out to 600rds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top