Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Night shooting.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by darkminstrel, Mar 25, 2010.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Friends and I are planning on going out to the OR wastes and a few of us have night vision scopes. I'll be getting mine 2 days before the trip and won't have time to play with it really before hand. For those of you who have trigger time using them could you give me some pointers on their use? It's a gen 1+ starlight scope, not 'true' night vision. I'm told that they perform quite like a gen 2 or gen 2+ if that helps.

What about high vis targets? Orange? White?

2. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

gen 1 you should plan on a night with moonlight. i have an infra red laser designator that is only visible to night vision and with goggles on the gun becomes a point and click device no aiming needed.

3. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

do you have an IR filter for your weaponlight? your scope probably doesn't output a bubblegum ton of IR.. you should be able to find IR filters that'll fit just about every light on the market, if your light doesn't come with/have one available. that'll definitely improve your experience and make it a lot safer.

speaking of safety, hopefully at least someone in the group has a NODs headset? he should be made official RSO for night shooting... weapon-mounted NVDs alone are actually kind of dangerous.. you can't see anything unless you're muzzling it.

as far as targets, i'm really not up on the tech side of NVDs, but my experience has been that the same surfaces that reflect visible light also generally reflect IR- especially with the lower-quality NVDs that are much less IR dependent and more "light amplifying" devices (if thats even an accurate description). white things usually show up better than dark, and reflective surfaces reflect IR and are picked up by the sensor even better than visible spectrum light.