JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have an interesting situation.
Both myself (individually) and my firearms trust (me as Trustee) own some various NFA items. I am moving out of state, so I know I need a couple of 5320.20s filled out and approved.

Here is my dilemma...in my new state I am building a house, which will not be finished until April or May. In the interim I will be staying in temporary housing (which I do not currently know the address for). My non-NFA firearms will be moving via professional movers, in a safe....and then placed in a locked storage area (minus a few that will be in the car with me). I know the city, but without the exact address it appears I cannot complete the 5320.20....I doubt the AFT will take just the city.

The only solution I can think of is this:
1. I transfer my NFA items to a local dealer to hold.
2. When the new house is complete, I fill in my 5320.20s and have them approved by the ATF.
3. My dealer then does a Dealer to Dealer transfer of the guns.
4. I pick up from new local NFA Dealer?

Assuming the above will work....any idea what a dealer might charge to put these guns on their books?
I am also assuming that I would not need new tax stamps as the transfers are dealer to dealer AND dealer to Tax Stamp owner?

Thank you for any input.

So, I have an interesting situation.
Both myself (individually) and my firearms trust (me as Trustee) own some various NFA items. I am moving out of state, so I know I need a couple of 5320.20s filled out and approved.

Here is my dilemma...in my new state I am building a house, which will not be finished until April or May. In the interim I will be staying in temporary housing (which I do not currently know the address for). My non-NFA firearms will be moving via professional movers, in a safe....and then placed in a locked storage area (minus a few that will be in the car with me). I know the city, but without the exact address it appears I cannot complete the 5320.20....I doubt the AFT will take just the city.

The only solution I can think of is this:
1. I transfer my NFA items to a local dealer to hold.
2. When the new house is complete, I fill in my 5320.20s and have them approved by the ATF.
3. My dealer then does a Dealer to Dealer transfer of the guns.
4. I pick up from new local NFA Dealer?

Assuming the above will work....any idea what a dealer might charge to put these guns on their books?
I am also assuming that I would not need new tax stamps as the transfers are dealer to dealer AND dealer to Tax Stamp owner?

Thank you for any input.

I think, you are overthinking it. Do the change of address to your new house, does not matter if it is done or not, as long as your site plan has an address. Take the items with you to where you are going, and don't worry about it.

I could be wrong but I believe ATF is more interested in reviewing your NFA items for legality in the place you are moving to. If, for example, I was moving from a state where short barrel shotguns are legal, to WA where they are not, they most likely would disapprove the 5320.20.

I agree with GURU, use the address you plan to ultimately reside at, even ATF knows life happens and things may change.

Lawyers are very useful for this info. Worth the investment....
I'd look into finding one in your new state, who comes recommended. As we all know, there are a lot of mediocre ones out there....
Best of luck with your build and move.

No matter what you decide to do, it might be best if you get any information, opinions or rulings from the BATFE in writing. Registered mail. Return receipt. We special stuff owners all have stories about asking for phone opinions and getting just that ... an opinion. Get it in writing. Right now I'm agreeing with having your local friendly knowledgeable Class 3 dealer store you guns for you. Just me.

Respectfully.

I think, you are overthinking it. Do the change of address to your new house, does not matter if it is done or not, as long as your site plan has an address. Take the items with you to where you are going, and don't worry about it.
This is what I'd do as well.

It will cost you $200 per item for you to transfer them to a class III FFL, then another $200 per item to transfer them back to you from the second class III FFL. Only the FFL to FFL transfer would be tax free.

OP you say the 'professional movers' are going to move your firearm safe WITH firearms in toto?

The same 'professional movers' who may/do/could use transit day workers with dubious & possibly criminal backgrounds who are hired stictly for their brawn to personally load a sealed firearm container which 'rattles' when moved so the loaders know something is inside?

Oh, and at distant end, you say said rattling firearm container would be 'kept' at a secure location, presumably in distant end 'professional moving' franchisee's location with the same type of day help and after you open the container to remove several items, in front of the hired help!

What is the plan to transit the NFA unit(s) or will the be in the safe as well?

Personally, while you worry immediately bout the FED's paperwork before everything is at distance end, i'd be worring bout the security of your entire collection and not trust that security strictly on the word of the professional mover's sales force to provide said security or their assurance 'we are insured' !

The fed's has olde address and if and when they discern you are a bad guy and want to see said paperwork and possibly firearms, you should have done due diligence and submitted corrected paperwork to them!

Sidebar, what are you going to do if the county/local highest law enforcement official says no & isn't going to allow it in his jurisdiction to a particular NFA item?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top