Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Newbie general revolver question

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Botte Hork, May 12, 2013.

1. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

A newbie question from me: Are there revolvers that have a semi-auto-like DA/SA mechanism, meaning first round is DA, but subsequent rounds will have the hammer cocked by the energy of the preceding shot?

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just interested.

2. beezer66

beezer66 Salem, OR Active Member

Webley-Fosbery revolver.

3. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Mateba Autorevolver

4. Botte Hork

Thanks! I guess it's not very common then, as I don't see S&W, Ruger or Colt mentioned.

5. EMNofSeattle

EMNofSeattle Kitsap Active Member

the Webley Fosberry as has been noted. it was chambered in .455 webley which was the standard british caliber for sidearms from the late 1800s to the Great War.

the Fosberry was not well regarded, it jammed easily. and there was no advantage to that mechanism over a DA revolver. hence why they're never seen.

they're now collectors pieces, unless you have 5000 dollars laying around getting a fosberry is probably not an option. and for 5000 bucks there's several guns I'd want more...

6. EMNofSeattle

EMNofSeattle Kitsap Active Member

But the OP asked if any revolvers operated by recoil to re-cock the hammer.

much like the Webley Fossberry as noted.

[video=youtube;HSPIhHFtLX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPIhHFtLX0[/video]

jbett98 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I hate DA/SA weapons .. meaning automatics, not revolvers. There is a time and place to cock a revolver for a precision shot

8. Botte Hork

I understand the common DA/SA mechanism, I have a revolver with that system. For precision, I'd say dry fire practice is best, to make sure you just don't see the front sight move during the entire DA pull.

It would be interesting to have the SA-like ease of shooting available on subsequent shots, without the manual hammer cocking, but I guess that leaves (relatively) exotic/obscure options only.

9. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

As already mentioned, the most recent revolver of this type is a Mateba. You can find them for sale on Gunbroker occasionally, but not for under $3000...

10. Botte Hork

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense for me. :)

Thanks for all the responses, learned a few things!

11. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

There are a lot of good DA revolvers you can work like a SA when you want to, making it like (but not the same as) a DA/SA trigger on a modern semi-auto pistol. Instead of cocking the hammer to create the lighter single action trigger pull, you stage the double action trigger by pulling the trigger back to a certain point so that the hammer pulls back. Pause. Then it's just a couple pounds of pressure from there to fire the round. It takes a little practice, and you have to know when your firearm's trigger breaks, but once you get the hang of it you can fire SA accuracy with a DA trigger. Slower than a DA/SA platform, but at least as fast as a SA firearm, and you don't worry about coming off target while you cock the hammer with your thumb.

12. glockman99

glockman99 Hoquiam, WA. Active Member

Get a Glock 21 pistol and install the NY-1 trigger sping in it, along with a 3.5 lb. connector...It's not a revolver, but what the heck...It holds more shots and is easier to carry and reload than a revolver.

13. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I did this to both my carry 19 & 26. Feels nice, to me at least.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2