JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might be cheaper right now to buy complete? Then just have fun? I also am wanting to build that final wild ride AR15. The problem is I sold off all the fixtures, gigs, tools, gages and neat stuff necessary years ago. I do not even own a good bench vise or a certified click type torque wrench.

But ... buying that pesky fully completed upper/barrel assembly might be a good idea. Be sure to pick a front STEEL gas block that uses taper pins ... or a model that tightly clamps the block to the barrel. Your choice. The new stuff today is so much better than what we had to work with.

hundreds of AR15 builds

Might be cheaper right now to buy complete? Then just have fun? I also am wanting to build that final wild ride AR15. The problem is I sold off all the fixtures, gigs, tools, gages and neat stuff necessary years ago. I do not even own a good bench vise or a certified click type torque wrench.

But ... buying that pesky fully completed upper/barrel assembly might be a good idea. Be sure to pick a front STEEL gas block that uses taper pins ... or a model that tightly clamps the block to the barrel. Your choice. The new stuff today is so much better than what we had to work with.

hundreds of AR15 builds
That's what I am thinking because a complete one or a complete lower and a complete upper is cheaper than a scratch build.

They are very easy to build, and if you watch for sales you can get good deals.

After you get good at it it only takes 30-60 minutes to put one together.

You will need tools though, a torque wrench, and a receiver vice block are necessary for assembling the upper. Roll pin punches and a plastic bench block will come in handy as well.

Got your tools?

My advice: For your first, buy a preassembled upper. Also, skip CheaperThanGouge--today and tomorrow Primary Arms has Anderson lowers for $40 and LPK's for $30. If I had $350 sitting around I'd be stocking up myself...

For a starter, I bought a BCG/CH combo from DSArms for about $110. Also, you might wanna start checking out Palmetto's Daily Deals... White Tiger Tactical's another shop, albeit a small one, where I've had good luck.

You have this backwards.
Usually a beginner that wants to "dabble" in AR building will build the lower and buy a complete upper.
Reason being is that the lower is easier to build and requires less of a "tool-up".

You also have a bunch of inexpensive and some funky parts selected.
That quad rail must be Chinese at the price.
CTD was a notorious "Price Gouger" during the shortage so that's why you'll get comments about shopping there.
Personally, I avoid them whenever I can.

Here you are jumping to a specialized caliber.
Not the usual path for a beginner.
Maybe you're a handloader and want to shoot .300BLK suppressed ?
If not, go with 5.56 (or .223 Wylde) for your first AR. The platform was designed for 5.56 and that's the best way to learn the platform, IMO.

So if you're patient, you'll study the platform much more and learn what the "good parts" are.
Often these parts will cost almost the same as the junk parts.
All you've done so far is to open the CTD catalog and pointed at some random parts.

Sorry about being blunt, but the AR parts market is loaded with garbage parts and I hate to see the new guys getting sucked in.
It is good that you've started this thread.

Here is an example of a complete lower that cost less than yours, but will have better value because it's a higher quality part...
Aero Precision AR15 Complete Lower with M4 Collapsing Stock

Here's a ToolCraft BCG....they are the OEM for many different "private labels".
$10 more than yours of unknown manufacture.
Coated Bolt Carrier Group

You will also learn which are the best online (and local) shops.
For example, here's a good shop, good selection and very competitive prices...
AR-15 Parts & Accessories - Fast Shipping | Primary Arms

Also you can get to learn how to use the Search Engines at SlickGuns and at AmmoSeek to find the Current Low Price on whatever.
I knew that I saw the ToolCraft BCG somewhere on sale so I plugged into the SlickGuns search engine...
Toolcraft BCG - Toolcraft Bolt Carrier Group - Monmouth USA

Anyway, you get the idea and if you have a question about a particular part or tool or online shop, post it here and let the members comment on it BEFORE you pull the trigger.
Don't be THAT GUY that tries to get a "blessing" after he has already ordered something.

Last Edited:
You have this backwards.
Usually a beginner that wants to "dabble" in AR building will build the lower and buy a complete upper.
Reason being is that the lower is easier to build and requires less of a "tool-up".

CTD was a notorious "Price Gouger" during the shortage so that's why you'll get comments about shopping there.

If not, go with 5.56 (or .223 Wylde) for your first AR. The platform was designed for 5.56 and that's the best way to learn the platform, IMO.

So if you're patient, you'll study the platform much more and learn what the "good parts" are.
All you've done so far is to open the CTD catalog and pointed at some random parts.

Sorry about being blunt, but the AR parts market is loaded with garbage parts and I hate to see the new guys getting sucked in.

Here is an example of a complete lower that cost less than yours, but will have better value because it's a higher quality part...

$10 more than yours of unknown manufacture. Someone had them

Also you can get to learn how to use the Search Engines at SlickGuns and at AmmoSeek to find the Current Low Price on whatever.
I knew that I saw the ToolCraft BCG somewhere on sale so I plugged into the SlickGuns search engine...

Anyway, you get the idea and if you have a question about a particular part or tool or online shop, post it here and let the members comment on it BEFORE you pull the trigger.
Don't be THAT GUY that tries to get a "blessing" after he has already ordered something.
Thanks. I have been using CTD as a resource to find products and to group them into a build. I have no intention of ever buying from them.

You have this backwards.

$10 more than yours of unknown manufacture.

In my experience you can't go wrong with Aero Precision. Even a cave man like me built my first AR with an AP unfinished lower, I added an ALG ACT trigger and I think a White Oak Arms LPK. I bought a Bravo Company HBAR 16 in. upper, slapped on some Mag Pul furniture, an AP SPR mount and a Redfield 2x7 and called it good for a "panic era" build. I think Radical Firearms uppers are worth the good prices they have on them, particularly when they are on sale.

Brutus Out

I haven't fired mine yet, but CBC Industries seems to do solid "value" uppers too. I went with them because in the end it was them or another shop, and they won on my tiebreaker where I prefer to do business with shops owned or crewed by veterans wherever possible.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top