JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure where you live but I have both a 1970's 870 and a modern Semi-auto shotgun in 12ga. You are welcome to join me at ARPC and try both.
very generous offer, Baseacegoku. And I live in Corvallis, which is nearby. What kind of semi-auto shotgun do you have?

I had an 11-87 and was always annoyed when I had to reconfigure the gas rings depending on the load. If you only shoot high base, thats fine. If you only shoot low base, fine. But going back and forth was a pain.

Bought a Mossberg 930 for my Dad and we just shoot it regardless of the load and it cycles great.

I prefer the 930. The gas system doesn't require the monkeying that the 1100 does. The 930 seems to cycle faster than an 1100. When I shoot an 1100, I can really feel the bolt moving.

The 1100 definitely has a more classic look to it. They are usually polished blue and walnut. They are also more expensive. The 930 comes in more trim packages from blue/wood to flat black/plastic. The 930 is easily found in bird/deer combos.

In reading articles on the internet I ran into something that says "Slugs and buckshot should not be shot through both tight (imp. mod., full, extra full) fixed chokes or any type of screw in choke. You are likely to damage the gun."

Is this true? If so, a gun with a barrel with a full set of screw-in chokes would not be useable to hunt deer. ??? I thought part of the point to screw-in chokes was you could use a cylinder choke and shoot rifled slugs. And this is the first I've seen someone saying you shouldnt shoot buckshot through any choke you want. ??? :s0125:

I've started checking out the recent completed sales of Remington 1100s on gunbroker to get some idea of what's available. These used 1100s apparently almost all have fixed chokes. In a few cases they tell you the choke, but rarely. Is there a standard choke--maybe mod--for old 1100s and people are mentioning choke only if it's something different from that? (I plan to check out the Mossberg 930s too.)

This is a Ford Chevy question lol.

I 100% think 870's are better then Mossbergs.

I have an older one and a newer one.

Older is heavier with all metal trigger assembly. It's my HD gun.
I love shotguns

100% better?

I have upgraded all metal M590 trigger groups and selector pads in all my M500's

Mossy's are just as good as Remmy's, you DON'T EVEN KNOW the POWER of a Mossy shottie!! o_O

I'm sorry I even read this thread, it makes me half sick and now makes me want to sell all my shotguns.

That's it.... I UNFRIEND YOU!! :mad:

4A86759C-DE91-4905-BEA3-9CA385632B56.jpeg

See what I did there? ;):p

For older fixed choke shotguns I like Modified and Improved Cylinder...again this fits my shooting and shooting style the best.
Andy
So what is it about your shooting and shooting style that makes Modified and Improved Cylinder a good fit?

I prefer the 930. The gas system doesn't require the monkeying that the 1100 does. The 930 seems to cycle faster than an 1100. When I shoot an 1100, I can really feel the bolt moving.

The 1100 definitely has a more classic look to it. They are usually polished blue and walnut. They are also more expensive. The 930 comes in more trim packages from blue/wood to flat black/plastic. The 930 is easily found in bird/deer combos.

My first M930 I ran 200 rounds through it in one setting. It was 100 rounds of 00-buck and 100 rounds of light load Estate #7 upland game loads.... ran them separate and mixed together in the same string, slow fire and rapid fire... not a single malfunction. It was also soft shooting and I couldn't perceive any real difference in recoil... the M930 gives a LOT of bang for the buck... pun intended.

;)

My two babies..
01ABCB11-64FB-4600-8F9F-94E105E4A6FB.jpeg 91339306-6532-4952-976D-1B7655C8AAA4.jpeg

Last Edited:
So what is it about your shooting and shooting style that makes Modified and Improved Cylinder a good fit?
I hunt a lot of grouse and they tend to flush fast and close....with lots of tricky flight patterns...
A more open choke is helpful here...

I also tend to shoot quickly and instinctively with a shotgun...as in just ignoring everything but where I want to hit the target...so for me a quick handling shotgun that has a more open bore works well....for me...but everyone seems to have different ideas on just how to shoot a shotgun...LOL
Andy

Are these old 1100s going to be okay with steel shot?
You'll get all kinds of responses on this.
When we were forced to use steel, we used our existing guns with it and no ill effects were noted.

With the popular shotguns you can find extra barrels.
I like a 28" Modified and a 26" Improved Cylinder if I had to choose two.

Honorable mention would go to 30" Full and 26" Skeet

Mossberg...just like a Remington only worse....:eek::p:D
Just kidding...
Mossberg makes a fine shotgun.

Shotguns are very much a personal choice , maybe more than any other type of firearm.
Fit and comfort play a big role in just how well one shoots with a shotgun...so no matter the brand...the shotgun has gotta fit you or you won't shoot as well as you should with it.
Andy

100% better?

I have upgraded all metal M590 trigger groups and selector pads in all my M500's

Mossy's are just as good as Remmy's, you DON'T EVEN KNOW the POWER of a Mossy shottie!! o_O

I'm sorry I even read this thread, it makes me half sick and now makes me want to sell all my shotguns.

That's it.... I UNFRIEND YOU!! :mad:

View attachment 602270

See what I did there? ;):p
Cool. Hadn't seen any Stomp-Outs recently. (Stomp-Out = workout by Stomper.) Missed 'em.

But don't quite understand. On the one hand, you're saying Mossys are better. But then you're threatening to sell all your shotguns, presumably Mossys. :s0125::s0125::s0125:

I started this thread thinking I wanted an 870, but as a result of wisdom offered, have decided I want a semi-auto for the lesser recoil. And I want something that is widely available with lots of options in barrels and accessories. Remington 1100 and Mossberg 930 seem to be the main contenders. Any thoughts???

I hunt a lot of grouse and they tend to flush fast and close....with lots of tricky flight patterns...
A more open choke is helpful here...

I also tend to shoot quickly and instinctively with a shotgun...as in just ignoring everything but where I want to hit the target...so for me a quick handling shotgun that has a more open bore works well....for me...but everyone seems to have different ideas on just how to shoot a shotgun...LOL
Andy

This. I only use a tighter choke when shooting at things that keep a pretty straight and predictable path. The ranges are typically a little further as well.

In western WA, a shotgun with a full choke makes a heck of a coyote/bobcat/raccoon gun. Brush limits ranges and the time you have to shoot is short. When hunting timber for blacktails, I'm often using a shotgun for the same reasons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top