JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool. Hadn't seen any Stomp-Outs recently. (Stomp-Out = workout by Stomper.) Missed 'em.

But don't quite understand. On the one hand, you're saying Mossys are better. But then you're threatening to sell all your shotguns, presumably Mossys. :s0125::s0125::s0125:

I started this thread thinking I wanted an 870, but as a result of wisdom offered, have decided I want a semi-auto for the lesser recoil. And I want something that is widely available with lots of options in barrels and accessories. Remington 1100 and Mossberg 930 seem to be the main contenders. Any thoughts???

It's kind of an inside thing. Don't mind him none....

Mossberg...just like a Remington only worse....:eek::p:D
Just kidding...
Mossberg makes a fine shotgun.

Shotguns are very much a personal choice , maybe more than any other type of firearm.
Fit and comfort play a big role in just how well one shoots with a shotgun...so no matter the brand...the shotgun has gotta fit you or you won't shoot as well as you should with it.
Andy

Exactly. You can be certain of what you want, go to a store, and realize the gun doesn't fit you at all. With a vent rib and bead, you want it to look like the bead is resting on a flat spot. If it looks like a ramp up to the bead, you'll generally shoot high.

Cool. Hadn't seen any Stomp-Outs recently. (Stomp-Out = workout by Stomper.) Missed 'em.

But don't quite understand. On the one hand, you're saying Mossys are better. But then you're threatening to sell all your shotguns, presumably Mossys. :s0125::s0125::s0125:

I started this thread thinking I wanted an 870, but as a result of wisdom offered, have decided I want a semi-auto for the lesser recoil. And I want something that is widely available with lots of options in barrels and accessories. Remington 1100 and Mossberg 930 seem to be the main contenders. Any thoughts???
The more I read this thread, the more I think you might like trap shooting on a regular basis.
Why not make contact with your local club and see if someone would let you shoot their gun for a round or two ?
There's some real shotgun guys in that bunch that like to bring new shooters into the sport.

The big thing is fit, the next is fit and don't forget FIT, it's what's important. There are some adjustable 930's.
I use shotguns for home and camping defense, and have used Birdshot, Buckshot, and Slugs with my 930.

Exactly. You can be certain of what you want, go to a store, and realize the gun doesn't fit you at all. With a vent rib and bead, you want it to look like the bead is resting on a flat spot. If it looks like a ramp up to the bead, you'll generally shoot high.
Yeah, I realize fit is critical. And also a priori unknown factors. That's part of why I'm interested in multiple options. I could pick up an 1100 and just totally not like it. But I dont want to waste my time handling or trying out POS, either.

Trying out other people's guns might not be all that useful, either. I'm expecting to be recoil sensitive. (Not with my .44 mags; mine are heavy full size guns, and recoil just moves my arms. Not punches me in the shoulder.) So I'm thinking I want to get a semi-auto and set it up with a Limbsaver recoil pad before ever shooting it. That is, make my first shotgun experience be as sweet and gentle as possible.

Yeah, I realize fit is critical. And also a priori unknown factors. That's part of why I'm interested in multiple options. I could pick up an 1100 and just totally not like it. But I dont want to waste my time handling or trying out POS, either.

Trying out other people's guns might not be all that useful, either. I'm expecting to be recoil sensitive. (Not with my .44 mags; mine are heavy full size guns, and recoil just moves my arms. Not punches me in the shoulder.) So I'm thinking I want to get a semi-auto and set it up with a Limbsaver recoil pad before ever shooting it. That is, make my first shotgun experience be as sweet and gentle as possible.

The 1100 is a nice gun, but its definitely and older design. Another option to look at is the Weatherby SA08. It is very light, trim, and comes in 20 gauge. Only issue is short barrels are impossible to find for shooting slugs. You'd almost have to buy two guns.

Are the new Mossy 930s as good or better than older ones? Or are older ones better?

I've only dealt with new ones and they've been pretty solid. I was a Remington shotgun guy through and through. Then, I started having problems with a few that I had bought and it made me explore other brands. Same thing with the Remington 700 rifle. I had to have work done on three new 700s and finally I was fed up.

Just spitballing here:

@OldBroad44 Is there any reason you mentioned steel shot? Do you live next to water? Or is it a general environmental concern?

With lead shot, a full choke would be my choice for nuisance birds. I'm thinking they will be farther away and maybe even not flying at the time of the shot. Maybe sitting on the stalks? In that case, you're going to be aiming the shotgun more like a rifle and have less to learn than hunting that requires the shotgun to swing. Less swing allows you to use a tighter pattern, increasing the capability to shoot farther away.

I still like slug barrels for hunting deer with slugs or buck vs using a standard 28" barrel. The shorter barrel is easier to pack thru the woods, and you usually have a "set" of sights, front and rear like on a rifle, compared to the bead at the end of your standard 28" barrel.

Just spitballing here:

@OldBroad44 Is there any reason you mentioned steel shot? Do you live next to water? Or is it a general environmental concern?

With lead shot, a full choke would be my choice for nuisance birds. I'm thinking they will be farther away and maybe even not flying at the time of the shot. Maybe sitting on the stalks? In that case, you're going to be aiming the shotgun more like a rifle and have less to learn than hunting that requires the shotgun to swing. Less swing allows you to use a tighter pattern, increasing the capability to shoot farther away.

I still like slug barrels for hunting deer with slugs or buck vs using a standard 28" barrel. The shorter barrel is easier to pack thru the woods, and you usually have a "set" of sights, front and rear like on a rifle, compared to the bead at the end of your standard 28" barrel.
That's a very good point.
I had forgotten about that purpose mentioned in the first post.
A 30" Full would be my choice for that job.

I recently bought an 1100 Trap Grade 30" Full on this forum for $300
The deals do come around.

The 1100 is a nice gun, but its definitely and older design. Another option to look at is the Weatherby SA08. It is very light, trim, and comes in 20 gauge. Only issue is short barrels are impossible to find for shooting slugs. You'd almost have to buy two guns.
Do you have to have a shorter barrel to shoot slugs? I was supposing that you could shoot a rifled slug out of any length of smooth-bore barrel as long as it wasn't choked too tight. ??? (I wouldn't want a specialized slug barrel set up with front and back sights like a rifle. My old eyes can't see such a sight configuration well enough any more.)

You can shoot a shotgun slug from any length barrel...Most folks use the shorter barrels for deer hunting or pest control of the two legged type...
With practice one can make hits out to 80 odd yards with slugs and just a bead sight...
Andy

Ma always told the girls...
"Now you stay away from those Mossberg guys, you hear ?"
Geez. I wulda had to avoid my little brother after he turned 8 and got his first gun, a single shot Mossberg .22. Harsh. And depending on exactly how gender-specific you interpret "guys", I might have had to stay away from myself, too.

Geez. I wulda had to avoid my little brother after he turned 8 and got his first gun, a single shot Mossberg .22. Harsh. And depending on exactly how gender-specific you interpret "guys", I might have had to stay away from myself, too.

My first .22 was a Montgomery Ward bolt action that I'm pretty sure was made by Mossberg.

And my guns don't care about race, gender, or religion. But damn it they sure don't like being ignored. So needy.......

:p

You can shoot a shotgun slug from any length barrel...Most folks use the shorter barrels for deer hunting or pest control of the two legged type...
With practice one can make hits out to 80 odd yards with slugs and just a bead sight...
Andy
Hurrah! That's just what I wanted to hear! :s0132: :s0073::s0139:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews