JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yah, I got that the first time.... but how does a 3" shell go into battery in a 2 3/4" chamber? I don't have my spare barrel handy but isn't there a lip there? Or is the lip far enough out to allow the shell to unfold that a 3" can go into battery? That must be it. Then when fired there would be a real problem as the shell tries to unfold into the forcing cone. Bad juju!!

OK, I think I answered my own question via stream-of-thought! :)
Story time. Went on the Sauvie Island stocked pheasant hunt. Bought some #4 steel shot as lead is banned, and #4 is recommended where steel is used. When we get there, a buddy forgot his shells, so he borrowed some of mine. First thing out of the gate, a pheasant flushes straight across, swing and a miss. I think "that seems louder than I remember a 12ga being". I proceed to reload and forget about the louder concussion. Later, my buddy that I loaned shells to shoots a bird at point blank and utterly demolishes the bird, and then had trouble ejecting the shell. He only has a 2-3/4" gun, and apparently I had purchased Magnum 3". My gun was a Magnum, so it wasn't a problem for me, other than shooting at pheasants with 3" Magnum rounds. Be careful out there boys and girls.

Yeah, but the OP said he's never fired a shotgun so a .410 might be a little frustrating in the hit/miss category. Plus the shells ain't cheap.
Also, I want to be able to hunt deer. There's a good area near my home, but it's shotgun only.

Final answer :
20 Gauge Remington 1100 small frame
Small frame? I'm 5' 8", even after shrinking with age a bit. Arms probably long for my height. Hands big too. (And I have lotsa arm muscIes cause I play with my long-barreled .44 mags with laser cartridges nearly every day. Great fun.) I usually find the average off-the-shelf rifle has a draw length a little short for me. Is the 1100 small frame for a smaller shooter? If so, probably not needed. Or is it about something else?

Small frame , in regards to Remington shotguns , usually means the receiver frame...they come in standard or light contour ...
Or in the case of older guns , some Remington shotguns in 16 and 20 gauge were made on 12 gauge receiver frames...like in the case of my Wingmaster in 20 gauge from 1962....
Andy

Small frame? I'm 5' 8", even after shrinking with age a bit. Arms probably long for my height. Hands big too. (And I have lotsa arm muscIes cause I play with my long-barreled .44 mags with laser cartridges nearly every day. Great fun.) I usually find the average off-the-shelf rifle has a draw length a little short for me. Is the 1100 small frame for a smaller shooter? If so, probably not needed. Or is it about something else?
Remington does the 20 gauge 1100 on a 12 gauge (large) frame and on a 28 gauge (small) frame.
The smaller frame is just a more elegant way of doing the 20 gauge if you can get fitment.
And of course fitment is EVERYTHING when it comes to shotguns.

With your eyes closed, mount the gun.
Now open your eyes and you should see a good sight plane if the shotgun fits you.
Clothing makes a difference as well. A heavy winter coat will change the way the gun mounts.

ETA:
I find the Remington shotguns to be very "pointable" and mount very naturally for me.
I would recommend handling some, either 870 or 1100.
If you have a Trap Club in your area, those people LOVE to help fellow shooters out and many will offer to let you try their guns.

Last Edited:
This discussion has convinced me that I want a semi-auto of some sort rather than an 870 or other pump because of recoil advantages. And the Limbsavers recoil pad sounds great. Sounds like both 12 or 20 gauge would be reasonable options.

Sounds like the Remington 1100 is a good option. What else should I be considering? I want to stick with manufacturers and models that are widely available and have lots of options in terms of replaceable barrels and accessories.

The Remingtons are the "Small Block Chevy" of the shotgun world.
Lots of spare parts available.
The 1100 is still used in the Trap game to this day.

If at all possible, try before you buy.

Another semi-auto shotgun that I own and love is the Browning B-80 steel receiver model.
It's essentially a Beretta in a Browning skin.
Only made for a few years.
Beautiful gun and of course the proven Beretta gas system.

Berettas and Benellis are popular semi-auto shotguns.

However, best value IMO, would be a used and well cared for 1100

I bought a 887 Nitro as I knew nothing and wanted a 'weatherized' shotgun. I had some problems cycling it. So I have cycled it no less than 5,000 times and I did not stutter, 5,000! I finally believe it to be reliable. I don't like it but it is mine.

I have a Mossberg 930 semiauto and think it to be reliable out of box, I like it.

My wife has a 982 Chinese clone with a adjustable ATI stock (They don't make her model stock anymore, but have others) she is on her toes to make 5'4", so it really helps get her length of pull (LOP) close to right. I bought the stock for a 870 as her model was not listed.

I did not choose the 982 it was part of a promotion, it seemed more reliable out of the box than my Remington 887, still I have cycled it 3,000 times to be sure.

I think Remington has improved it's entire product line recently as compared to five or seven years ago. closer with new guns to twenty year ago and earlier products. They no longer make the 887, probably for the better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top