JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I predict Kitzhaber will have these put in every classroom after concealed carry is prohibited in schools. Not a bad Idea but only as a supplement to armed teachers, janiters etc. IMO. <broken link removed>

I read an article saying the company wants to prevent shootings like Newtown, yet the only thing I can find says they are rated for handguns and shotguns only. I guess it is better then nothing.

What a joke :(........in most schools the classroom doors are incapable of being locked from the inside. I guess the logic has always been that you don't want the kiddies to lock the teacher out. But in a shooter situation this lack of a inside lock could really make it hard to secure your classroom against outside intruders. Not to mention how can anyone hide behind an 18x20" board??

My kids school has a lot of classroom windows facing the parking lot. You could do a drive by and inflict a lot of damage but bullet proof shields would be a small layer of protection.
While they're at it better windows and doors and other general security procedures. If they make them gun free zones then retrofit them a bit dammit!

My kids school has a lot of classroom windows facing the parking lot. You could do a drive by and inflict a lot of damage but bullet proof shields would be a small layer of protection.
While they're at it better windows and doors and other general security procedures. If they make them gun free zones then retrofit them a bit dammit!

An 18"x20" shield will not protect anyone unless that shield just happens to be in the exact bullet path. It sure won't cover all those windows and likely will be parked up against an interior wall out of the way. I have to wonder what each of the "PR toys" will cost? More than fixing the locks is my guess.

This sounds like a great way to throw some money away without doing anything to fix it. I'm sure the whiteboards are expensive and will soon be everywhere.

I still think that having doors that lead to the outside would give a better chance of escape than dodging bullets in a room or a corridor.

sounds like a handout to the bulletproof whiteboard industry. Maybe Dr K thinks they will open a factory here in Oregon . . .

Im going to call BS on the whole non-locking school doors thing. FWIW, all the portland public school doors i had anything to do with locked from the inside and usually from the outside too. . . teachers locking kids out happened way more than the other way around. Besides which school staff has access to spare keys. Would anyone care to provide documentation of non-locking school doors . . .

I still think that having doors that lead to the outside would give a better chance of escape than dodging bullets in a room or a corridor.

Perhaps, but that will never happen as the costs would be in the multiple millions to redo every classroom on the ground floors. Then there are all the second floor classrooms in larger schools.

Im going to call BS on the whole non-locking school doors thing. . . .

I didn't say NONE had interior lock access, I said most did not. I taught for 35 years and have been in many school buildings, none locked from the inside. When we had lock down drills staff had to open their doors to lock them with a key and then pull them closed. Keys were tightly controlled and staff was not given "extra keys" The key locks were only located in the hall door knob. But none of these schools were in PPS.

An 18"x20" shield will not protect anyone unless that shield just happens to be in the exact bullet path. It sure won't cover all those windows and likely will be parked up against an interior wall out of the way. I have to wonder what each of the "PR toys" will cost? More than fixing the locks is my guess.

They'll just raise taxes to come up with the funding. They'll come up with a poster child to sell their tax increase idea. Obama not worried about where the funding is going to come from. He knows where the funding is going to come from, tax payers pockets.

I'm guessing the scenerio would be gunman comes into a room firing. John wayne type teacher who doesn't flinch at a few bullets to the leg or shoulder grabs whiteboard. He rushes gunman while students who are not yet shot pounce on said gunman in an organized move.
Lets see Dianne Sawyer do a piece on this like she did with concealed carry students. I'll bet the outcome will somehow be a lot better the way they spin things.

I predict Kitzhaber will have these put in every classroom after concealed carry is prohibited in schools. Not a bad Idea but only as a supplement to armed teachers, janiters etc. IMO. <broken link removed>

IF IT CAN SAVE ONE CHILD....THEN ITS WORTH IT!

edit - lol beat me to it!

How many kids die from being left in cars on hot days? Maybe we should ban car windows. You don't need them after all, they are frivolous and serve no purpose besides making your car a death trap for children.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top