JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,
I am 24 year old guy, im married with two children and my wife is also pregnant with twins. My wife and I are high school sweethearts and have been together since 2003. We got married in the beginning of April 2008 and just over nine months from then, our daughter was born. Chelsea is her name and she just turned three last month. Our first son, Kevin III, was born in May 2010 and our twin boys Bentley and Parker are due June 7. We currently live in North Plains, OR but plan on buying our first home back in our home town of Vernonia, OR later this year.

My wife is a stay at home mom and I work in the semiconductor industry as an Engineer In Charge. Basically, I am a field service engineer that is in charge of coordinating projects, upgrades, tons of paperwork, and is an overall point of contact between the customer and corporate and also a point of contact between the Japanese tech support group and the field service team. I have worked here for a little over five years and have rapidly been working my way up. I hope to be in management within two more years but I am really happy with my current position so no need to rush.

My dad, Kevin Sr., got me into hunting and shooting when I was very young. Most people remember their first time shooting with a BB gun or maybe a .22LR but the first pistol I shot was a Desert Eagle 44 mag, and the first rifle I shot was my M1 Garrand that my dad bought for me two months before I was born. I currently do not own many guns; I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 that I bought for hunting last year, my M1 Garrand that will NEVER leave the family, and a Remington 870 express magnum that my dad bought for me for my 12th or 13th birthday to start upland game bird hunting.

One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to learn more about hand guns. I do not have a lot of experience with hand guns. The only hand guns I have ever shot are the Desert Eagle mentioned above, a Ruger Black Hawk 357 when I was young, my dad's Colt 1911, my mom's S&W 442 in .38 SP+P, a Para Ordnance 1911, and maybe a few others when I was younger that I dont remember much.

I am planning the purchase of my first handgun and am having trouble deciding on what I should get. I know eventually I want to have a decent sized collection of guns but I only want to plan out the purchase of one for now. I would really prefer to spend less than $1000. Any ideas? Sorry for jabbering so much, I am really excited to get into sport shooting and it is a hobby that my whole family can enjoy together.

I am working through several different calibers of handguns, all from reputable makers. Unless you are in a hurry and gotta have "any" gun wait, bide your time, buy decent quality. You won't be disappointed. my preferences at the moment are, sig, FN, Ruger, Colt, Smth & Wesson. If you discover one doesn't suit you it's always easier to sell/trade into something else.

I am planning the purchase of my first handgun and am having trouble deciding on what I should get. I know eventually I want to have a decent sized collection of guns but I only want to plan out the purchase of one for now. I would really prefer to spend less than $1000. Any ideas?

That is a big ole can of worms right there. You have lots of choices which fit into your budget. Your question would probably best be answered here. Handgun Discussion

:s0162:

@Bill, Its alright. I think since I started going to school again, I don't have any problems writing on and on. I could have gone on for another few pages worth of typing.

@coop44, I am just taking my sweet time finding out what gun I want. I am in no hurry since I don't NEED a gun. Thank you for the suggestions.

@CZ fan, I understand that the question would be better fit in the handgun discussion, that is why I did not go into depth of what type of handgun I want. I will make another post in that section soon.

Great story. I shoot M1's at different clubs in Portland area. I would like to offer help in you shooting one of the club matches. As per hand guns there are so many great choices. I shot a Ruger SR9C
very impressed, fantastic trigger. Decide what you want to do with this handgun. Recreational shooting? or Concealed carry? Full size or compact. Do your research and try and shoot as many handguns
as you can. Maybe we can meet at the range sometime. I like............... XDM , 1911 S&W 686, 629,625 revolvers, Ruger 22 semi autos

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top