JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to Portland and the PNW. I am specifically in Tigard. Looking forward to doing some outdoor shooting in one of the wilderness areas, hopefully not more than an hour away. I have always shot at a range, but I am itching for some outdoor shooting, both pistol and rifle. Not really looking for a club or outdoor range facility, I just want to do some shooting in the middle of nowhere where I can relax, take my time, do double/triple taps, practice drawing and firing.

Also, I have a CCW permit from another state, but of course it is not recognized here. I read that I have to take a firearms course in order to get the CCW permit. What course should I take?

Also, I would like to get into hunting. Anyone here willing to teach a newbie about hunting?

Welcome. Look through the outdoor shooting areas section. You are correct your permit isn't valid in OR. Any idea what you're looking to hunt?

Depending on traffic conditions and where around Tigard you are, your best options for outdoors shooting will be state forest land, in particular probably something up in the Coast Range with the Tillamook State Forest.

Another popular area to hunt is the highlands outside John Day, but this late in the season you'll need to look for a 'general season' unless you have a tag for deer. There are many places to shoot in the woods, just be sure to check your back-drop of course. Outside John Day, there are long stretches of scrub land where you can set up a shoot. About Oregon - there are two general areas - east (which is anything east of the Cascade Range) and west (which includes the valley and the coast range). For Deer, you typically find the larger mule deer east of the cascades, with the smaller blacktail, west. With Elk, you find the larger Roosevelt Elk in the coast range, while the Rockey Mountain stick to the eastern half of the state. West has more trees (generally), while east has fewer trees, more long range hunting, and where the climate ranges from high desert to plains, to forest, to grass land, etc. Lots of variety in hunting Oregon; Welcome to the PNW!

It seems like that the National Forest to the east is about the same distance as the State Forest to the west. I don't have a rough road capable vehicle like a 4x4 truck, but I am willing to park my car somewhere and hike. I think I found an appropriate 1000 yard area in the TSF (I would like to find a pistol spot too). It's from a treeless hill crest into the side of another treeless hill and there is no road/trail in-between. Google Maps with satellite images are great. I just need to somehow merge satellite images with the public land boundaries somehow. Are there plenty of places to park a car along these roads in the forests so I can get out and hike to a spot? I have been looking in the outdoor shooting section of the forums and a lot people keep mentioning super popular rock quarries that keep getting closed. These forests are huge and I wish to not have to shoot at a popular place.

welcome to NWF ! well..... it looks like your going to find what your looking for ...... plenty of people here from your area to give you some guidance ! look around , and enjoy !!

steven

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads