JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes, gas tube has to enter into the upper and into the gas key for it to work. Could be a wrong size tube. There are four lengths: Pistol--4", Carbine---8", Middy--10", and rifle--13". Or maybe it is broken. Good luck!

I bought an upper on a gun show and had a bad experience, too. Luckily, vendor stood by his product and gave me my money back. Hope you are so lucky.

does look like a carbine length gas tube in a mid length gas system . either find the moron who sold it to you and demand a refund or exchange or fix it.

Its fixable but the moron who sold it to you should fix it.

the rail is going to make it a little difficult to fix if you can get it out of the way then you just need to knock out the roll pin pull out the old one and install the correct one. but that rail will make it hard

does the rail go over the gas block ? if it does you may get lucky and be able to remove the rail just by losening the jamb nut

they make a tool to remove the rail but i have heard of guys doing it with those strap wrenches . try to loosen the jamb nut first or take a strap wrench to the rail . you will need a punch i can't recall the size but its the smallest one i think you can get to knock out the pin then pull the tube out of the block insert the correct size one first into the barrel nut then into the receiver to the point that you can put the other in with the side holes into the block . align the pin hole with the small side hole of the tube and re install the pin.

Well, the good news:
You know whats wrong with it. Gas tube is fubar
It's an easy fix, for someone who has a few tools, and a clue
It's probably unfired (new) except for you..unless the tube is broken then all bets are off

The bad news:
The moron owes you a new gas tube, and install
The moron is selling uppers
You have to go and get it fixed, as I wouldn't let the moron near it, except to give you a full refund.

I would have someone who is AR qualified fix it and take a look under the hood for any other issues, that is if you decide to keep it.

Good luck.

I bought it from the DPMS rep but he said it was a gun that he took on trade... he claimed this was a Noveske rifle and the guy who traded it just wanted the barrel so swapped it out and sold the gun... I pretty much knew better than that simply because the upper is not marked Noveske but it still seemed like a good deal with the parts it has... Hopefully the gas tube is the only issue, seems like if thats the case its a pretty simple fix....

Thanks for all the help...

I bought it from the DPMS rep but he said it was a gun that he took on trade... he claimed this was a Noveske rifle and the guy who traded it just wanted the barrel so swapped it out and sold the gun... I pretty much knew better than that simply because the upper is not marked Noveske but it still seemed like a good deal with the parts it has... Hopefully the gas tube is the only issue, seems like if thats the case its a pretty simple fix....

Thanks for all the help...

If it was a DPMS Rep you should be able to contact and complain to DPMS maybe they can help or at least reprimand the rep.

if it was a dealer that sells dpms parts nothing they can do, but you could catch that guy at the next show,

there are a guys that dump their junk off at gun shows . that guy could have accepted it that day and put it on his table without checking it out throughly who would think someone would install a incorrect gas tube . I knew a gun show vendor he was a good guy but he would take in a trade give it a good look over and set it on his table minutes after getting it.

since you already shot it and it fired,(although it would not check the head space) the only other real issues i think you need to be concerned with are did he torque barrel nut correctly and is the gas block lined up correctly.

Monstermetal, where in WA. you at?

If you don't get the deal ironed out with whom you got it from, bring it up and we'll go over it. No charge, just the cost of any parts needed.

Wow, i don't see a gas tube. its got the wrong size gas tube . you should be able to see almost a inch of it in your receiver . thats you problem

Hit it square on the head.

"Can't really tell by the pic, but it is either a broken tube or somebody installed a carbine length gas tube on a mid length barrel setup." (BMGM37) (dont know how to do multiple quotes.... sorry)

Again...... Hit it square on the head

at first I didnt even think about this being a possibility but wow, there it is....... errrr, isnt as the case is here. lol

Im in Auburn.... And I would be happy to drop the upper off with someone who is highly recommended, The DPMS guy is probably just a dealer... I bought it at the Puyallup gun show, the guy had a big DPMS banner over the table and had nothing but assembled uppers and a few rifles on the table... Seemed like a nice enough guy and I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he took in the rifle in trade and just didn't catch it.. I have a machine shop, fab shop and fix stuff for a living.. Im pretty sure if worst came to worst I could probably rectify it with the right parts but if I can get it to someone who is a top notch AR mechanic that would be my first choice... Actually I would like to put a known barrel in the thing because other than the unmarked barrel I think the thing is built from top notch parts.... I have been trying to justify buying a Noveske upper but dropping $1500 for a upper seems silly when I am sure if I wait long enough I can find a assembled rifle for not much more...

If I recall correctly, to be able to sell at that show the seller must be a member of the club that sponsors that show...and I know they hold their members accountable, so me thinks the seller will correct the problem.

If I recall correctly, to be able to sell at that show the seller must be a member of the club that sponsors that show...and I know they hold their members accountable, so me thinks the seller will correct the problem.

Thats true, The Washington Arms Collectors, you have to be a member to buy or sell.... And I just happen to be good friends with both the vise president and the ex president's son...

Ok so who is a reputable ar mechanic in auburn or there abouts? I think I'd like someone good to give it a once over... Rainer Arms is close to me, anyone know if they got a smith inhouse?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top