JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ruger launches its new LC9 « Gun Nuts Media

163.jpg

I paid $239.99 + tax for my PF-9 brand new and haven't had one issue with it so even at $399.99 this would have to do something pretty dang cool to see my money.

looks a bit like the sig 250 subcompact. I will admit that its nice to see Ruger kind of breaking free from ol Bill Ruger's legacy a bit. I still consider them somewhat the same as Taurus. Ok guns at ok prices. But they really have yet to do anything super great. Its just rehashing others' ideas for the most part. Now if they would actually make, say a new and innovative semi-auto rifle, or made the mini-14 a better gun (or make the mags $10-15), or make a 1911, it would capture my interest a bit more. But as they are right now, I just say meh. I would rather have a Sig or a Kahr for carry and an AR15 over a mini-14 (although I still want a mini for some unknown reason).

I guess i'll be the first to say I LOVE IT!!!!! I don't think this was a let down at all. unfortunately keltec ran out their PF9 with some initial problems and the perception of unreliability still exists with a lot of people. there has been a void for an affordable, made in USA, solidly built pocket 9 and Ruger looks to have filled that void and more. I can't wait to see one in person and hopefully if the stars have aligned I can get my grubby mitts on one.

P.S. - Nickel's worth of free advice folks: The manual safety is OPTIONAL, if you don't want to use it, don't touch it. Just don't come on here looking for sympathy when you blow your right nut off. :s0155:

I guess i'll be the first to say I LOVE IT!!!!! I don't think this was a let down at all. unfortunately keltec ran out their PF9 with some initial problems and the perception of unreliability still exists with a lot of people. there has been a void for an affordable, made in USA, solidly built pocket 9 and Ruger looks to have filled that void and more. I can't wait to see one in person and hopefully if the stars have aligned I can get my grubby mitts on one.

P.S. - Nickel's worth of free advice folks: The manual safety is OPTIONAL, if you don't want to use it, don't touch it. Just don't come on here looking for sympathy when you blow your right nut off. :s0155:

I love this post! I guess I'm the 2nd person to say "I LOVE IT". I'm a fan of MADE IN THE USA, Ruger, and 9mm pistols, so put me down for 1 please.:s0155:

This is how the new Ruger stacks up against some current, popular 9mm carry pistols.

Barrel Length
Kahr PM9: 3.0"
Ruger LC9: 3.1"
Glock 26: 3.46"
Ruger SR9c: 3.5"
Kel-Tec PF9: 3.1"
Rohrbaugh: 2.9"
S&W M&P9c: 3.5"
SIG P290: 2.9"

Overall Length
Kahr PM9: 5.6"
Ruger LC9: 6.0"
Glock 26: 6.29"
Ruger SR9c: 6.85"
Kel-Tec PF9: 5.85"
Rohrbaugh: 5.2"
S&W M&P9c: 6.7"
SIG P290: 5.5"

Width
Kahr PM9: 1.1"
Ruger LC9: .9"
Glock 26: 1.18"
Ruger SR9c: 1.27"
Kel-Tec PF9: .88"
Rohrbaugh: .91"
S&W M&P9c: 1.2"
SIG P290: 1.1"

Height
Kahr PM9: 4.3"
Ruger LC9: 4.5"
Glock 26: 4.17"
Ruger SR9c: 4.6"
Kel-Tec PF9: 4.3"
Rohrbaugh: 4.1"
S&W M&P9c: 4.3"
SIG P290: 3.9"

Weight
Kahr PM9: 16.7 oz.
Ruger LC9: 17.1 oz.
Glock 26: 19.75 oz.
Ruger SR9c: 23.4 oz.
Kel-Tec PF9: 14.7 oz.
Rohrbaugh: 15.1 oz (aluminum frame)
S&W M&P9c: 24.5 oz. (?)
SIG P290: 20.5 oz.

Capacity
Kahr PM9: 6+1
Ruger LC9: 7+1
Glock 26: 10+1
Ruger SR9c: 10+1 (17+1 w/extended mag)
Kel-Tec PF9: 7+1
Rohrbaugh: 6+1
S&W M&P9c: 12+1
SIG P290: 8+1 (?)

Manual Safety
Kahr PM9: No
Ruger LC9: Yes
Glock 26: No
Ruger SR9c: Yes
Kel-Tec PF9: No
Rohrbaugh: No
S&W M&P9c: Optional
SIG P290: No

Firing Mechanism
Kahr PM9: DAO (striker)
Ruger LC9: DAO (hammer???)
Glock 26: SAO (striker)
Ruger SR9c: SAO (striker)
Kel-Tec PF9: DAO (hammer)
Rohrbaugh: DAO (hammer)
S&W M&P9c: SAO (striker)
SIG P290: DAO (hammer)

MSRP
Kahr PM9: $750-$820
Ruger LC9: $443
Glock 26: $640
Ruger SR9c: $525
Kel-Tec PF9: $333-$390
Rohrbaugh: $1150-$1350
S&W M&P9c: $569
SIG P290: $545 (rumored)

Think of the thumb-safety as "child-proofing." Some states require a safety, and many citizens are afraid of guns without one. Ruger is not very interested in what gun experts want. Ruger would rather sell lots of guns to the masses.

How nice of Kel-tec to do all of the research, design and development of their PF9----and then apparently not patent it, like with the P3AT, so that Ruger could again steal their design and run with it! Ah, well, "Imitation is the best form of flattery"...........................elsullo

I'm not impressed. The LC9 v. PF9; the LC9 is slightly larger, weights slightly more, and will cost more. Combine that with Ruger's inability to copy the tried and true P3AT without screwing it up to the point of needing a recall. In other words, why pay more to get less, I think I'll just stick with Kel-Tec.

I'm not impressed. The LC9 v. PF9; the LC9 is slightly larger, weights slightly more, and will cost more. Combine that with Ruger's inability to copy the tried and true P3AT without screwing it up to the point of needing a recall. In other words, why pay more to get less, I think I'll just stick with Kel-Tec.

Word.