JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Def make a Kel tec check 99% of the issues about previous PF 9's have been resolved most notorious was the FTF which they fixed by making the feed ramp polished. (granted anyone who ever shot and owned a auto pistols for more than 6 months should have done this just to make the weapon function better) and the other being trying to stuff super + P loads into a weapon that small making it hard to make follow on shots count, also the magazine rattle which i have never had let me remind you of two things a magazine is metal the spring is metal it will rust and wear down just like metal and rotate stock i always invest in atleast two extra mags to rotate out and rest the spring. A magazine needs PCC's and PCI's as well as your weapon treat them all like your taking them downrange.

The Ruger & Kel-Tec plastic pistols are simple & cheap handguns "tools", nothing else. I would rather pay for a higher quality tool myself; I have Snap On & Hazet tools in my shop, not Harbor Freight Specials. I have found that you normally do get what you pay for in the long run.

The Ruger & Kel-Tec plastic pistols are simple & cheap handguns "tools", nothing else. I would rather pay for a higher quality tool myself; I have Snap On & Hazet tools in my shop, not Harbor Freight Specials. I have found that you normally do get what you pay for in the long run.

I like the tool analogy. I have owned both the P3AT and LCP and would class the LCP as a "Craftsmen" quality tool and the Kel-Tec as "Harbor Freight" quality. Now the new Kimber 9mm would be in the "Snap On" class!

Honestly, I didn't say I hated Kel-Tec. I still own a PF-9, I just sold my P3AT after shooting and handling the LCP. If you look at the fit and finish of the Kel-Tec vs the Ruger you will see where the Harbor Freight comment came from. I own both Craftsmen tools and some Harbor Freight tools. I prefer the higher end when I can afford them.

I picked up an LC9 this weekend... When I took it to the range, I rented the little Sig and a Kel-Tec just for comparison. The Sig is certainly a higher quality gun, and the Kel-Tec just felt "cheap" in my hand. I'm no expert and I don't fire 100K rounds per year like some I know. When the salesman mentioned that the Kel-Tecs were basically 1000 round guns (I know, his commission on Ruger is prolly much larger!) I was sold. I don't know that Ruger knocked off the Kel-Tec design so much as they up-scaled the LCP to handle the larger caliber.

I carry an SR9c daily, and am patiently waiting for the Kimber Solo. For my purposes, the LC9 is a good compromise in size/weight between the double-stacking SR9c and what I know is coming when my Kimber arrives. IMO the LC9 is a good next step in their carry-gun evolution.

-Case

Cheddar-
Is there even a Solo in your area to drop $650 on? I can't find a dealer with one in stock anywhere. Drop me a PM if you've actually seen one for sale... especially if it's STS. I need to be up PDX way soon anyway...

-Case

Cheddar-
Is there even a Solo in your area to drop $650 on? I can't find a dealer with one in stock anywhere. Drop me a PM if you've actually seen one for sale... especially if it's STS. I need to be up PDX way soon anyway...

-Case

That is the other issue. Keiths has, or had several on order last I was in there, about a week and a half ago. At the time they had one on display that was already sold but were allowing customers to handle it. Of the 20 on order they said 15 were already reserved. At that point I could put $45 down to reserve one of the remaining 5. No promise as to when they would be in.
I didnt want to be without a carry gun for an indefinite period either.

I do not like Sigs because to me thier controls are backwards - the slide stop should always be in front of the decocker. The rest of my pistols are built like this and if Sig ever built a gun like this I might be interested, (I do like thier 1911's but dont need another). I am not excited about another polymer pistol hitting the market - if they had made this in a metal / alloy pistol I would be more interested. Thats one reason I am interested in the Kimber Solo.

James Ruby

Being fairly new to the concealed carry club, I purchased an lcp. Great little gun (emphasis on little) After some research, I got my hands on a lc9. I love it. I like the safety, I like the size, I like the affordability of 9mm ammo, so far I like everything about it. I also like having a choice of what I want to carry. At home I keep a 357 magnum revolver by the bed. At work, A 357 snubby stashed under the counter. But I always have the lcp or lc9 on me. I like the single row of the magazine. It is very easy to conceal. I feel pretty confident of it's stopping power too. So far about 500 rounds at the range & no malfunctions (from either gun) I highly recommend it.

163.jpg

FUGLY

That is the other issue. Keiths has, or had several on order last I was in there, about a week and a half ago. At the time they had one on display that was already sold but were allowing customers to handle it. Of the 20 on order they said 15 were already reserved. At that point I could put $45 down to reserve one of the remaining 5. No promise as to when they would be in.
I didnt want to be without a carry gun for an indefinite period either.

Local Kimber dealer is an idiot, so I called Kimber direct and spoke to the territory sales manager. Straight from Kimber: the Solo STS isn't in production yet, and we likely won't see one in a dealer case until Oct or Nov...

With that in mind, the SR-9c and LC-9 just went to Alaska with me for the weekend, and I think I'm done gun buying until the holidays...

- Case

I got one of these pistols in April. Bought it on April 20th, but being in California, couldn't pick it up until April 30th. I didn't get a chance to test it at the range until May 20th, more about the test later. The firing system is a little different. It is not a true double action, that is a pull of the trigger doesn't completely cock and fire the pistol. The pistol is partially cocked by the action of the slide cycling. When you pull the trigger to fire the weapon, it completes the cocking cycle and released the hammer to fire the round. Trigger pull isn't too bad, I'd guess in the 9 - 10 lb range. So what does this mean to the shooter, let me continue with my testing of the pistol.

I took the pistol to our local gun club range with two boxes of ammunition. One an older box of UMC/Remington hard ball I'd had for 4 or 5 years, the other a box of Federal's HST 147 gr stuff that I'd gotten earlier this year. First magazine of 7, 3 rounds failed to fire. Inspection of the rounds showed a very light firing pin strike, upon reloading those rounds and trying them again, 2 fired, the last fired on the third attempt. This was with the UMC ball stuff. Tried a second magazine and got similar results, 3 failures to fire on first attempt. Switched to Federal and again 3 out of 7 didn't fire on first attempt. Had this been a true double action, I could have just pulled the trigger on the failure to fire rounds, but because of the way this action is set up, I had to jack the slide back and insert a fresh round. As for grouping, rounds were pretty much point of aim at 10 yards and within a 2 -3 inch group.

I returned home and called Ruger. I got to the right guy without much of a delay. I explained my problem and within minutes had a UPS return authorization from Ruger. I got the pistol back on June 3, with a detailed list of the repairs made. They had installed a new slide and firing pin. Also noted was that the pistol had been test fired with 150 rounds of various ammo (50 rnds Black Hills, 50 rnds CCI & 50 rnds Winchester) without any malfunctions.

It will be interesting to see of others are having similar problems.

My question is how many more rounds will I need to put through this pistol before I feel safe carrying it for self defense?

THANKS for that review! I want this pistol but need to wait a year while all of the beta-testing customers work out the bugs! Once again Ruger shoots itself in the foot with poor quality control, and letting the customers do the unit testing! Why don't they fire that 150 test rounds BEFORE selling the gun? They certainly lost money on the untested one they sold to you!

Kahr Arms recommends that a 200-round breakin with your chosen carry load be done before assuming the pistol is reliable! If you like Cor-bon that could cost $300.00 in ammo alone. Maybe I'll stick with revolver carry?.......................elsullo