JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum!

Best wishes and I hope that you find your firearm too.

Old Lady Cate

Does the Salem area get any decent sized gun shows? If anyone wants to check one out and ask some questions, that might help. The community that is interested in items like this is fairly small and are usually of the age where they still stand around and BS at the gun show vs text.

Last Edited:
There is a well known collector of old timey firearms named Ladd Martinson..
He is from the Salem area.
I don't know how to contact him but have recently heard he is still active in the fun..

He started out as a kid collecting Civil War Carbines...

There is a well known collector of old timey firearms named Ladd Martinson..
He is from the Salem area.
I don't know how to contact him but have recently heard he is still active in the fun..

He started out as a kid collecting Civil War Carbines...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll dig around to see if I can find contact information!

I hear you.

My son and family had just moved to Salem from halfway across country, brought the musket with them but what with things in boxes for a while they didn't realize for several months that the musket was missing. When they raised the subject, found out my teen grandson had sold it to the pawn shop to finance a trip he wanted to take -- my grandson didn't realize the gun was a family heirloom, he just knew it was old and "didn't work".

My son went right away to the pawn shop after learning this but of course it had been sold on. He didn't have any hope of finding it, no idea where to start.

No one wanted to tell me ... I'm not young, and not in the best of health, they try to keep any bad news to themselves as much as possible, I guess. But it slipped out in a conversation with my son about a month ago. Hit me very hard at first.

But I obviously recovered, and I'm extremely persistent. I have a good record in terms of tracking down information, things, and people. It's not impossible to find this musket and bring it home -- long odds, maybe, but not impossible.

I've contacted a couple of other forums, and also some re-enactor organizations, and will continue to do that. I have faith that it can be found and recovered on a deal that leaves everyone satisfied.

We don't know what the buyer paid the pawn shop, but I'm willing to pay enough that the buyer can get another such musket. They aren't totally common, but they aren't rare either, fortunately.

Barb
I trust the errant grandson got a damn good beating he won't ever forget concerning taking things without asking, that are not his to take!:mad:

Out of curiosity, have you joined and posted on @Joe Link other website too?

Out of curiosity, have you joined and posted on @Joe Link other website too?

No, but maybe that would be a good idea -- I know a lot of folks from Oregon move to AZ or vacation or winter over down here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top