JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings from N.D. I'am a gun nut that shoots pellet rifle and pistol in the winter
and target rifle and trap in the summer. I have just aquired a M1 Garand and plan to do some open sight shooting. I have done a lot of reloading for bolt acton rifles, now
looking into loading for the M1. special powders and primers are recomended, has
any one had a slamfire with regular primers, or should cci #34 primers only be used?
I don't like surprises, or is mil. ball ammo. the way to go?

Greetings! I've stuck with Winchester LR primers, and make sure the your primer pockets are cleaned & prepped properly. Also 4895 powder is totally the way to go. Check out culvers shooting page or odcmp for more garand related info.

When I loaded for my Garand (I sold it years ago) I used W748 powder and it worked great

DCM may still have some good deals on mil surp ammo if you get in line for it

Greetings! I've stuck with Winchester LR primers, and make sure the your primer pockets are cleaned & prepped properly. Also 4895 powder is totally the way to go. Check out culvers shooting page or odcmp for more garand related info.

Thanks for the info. and the heads up on culvers shooting page, I spent a whole
evening reading on NW and culvers, just like a good gun show, you run across something and you stop and check it out and visit for a while.

It has been a long time since I handloaded for a M1. Used to shoot high power competions many-many moons ago. If memory serves the beasties do not like powders at the slower end of the scale as they well over pressure the gas system. Anything in the 4895 or W748 burn rates should do just fine. Primers should not be an issue just double check for high ones. M1's are really neat machines ... enjoy!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top