Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New member, new M1 Garand shooter

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by halfthrottle, Mar 1, 2011.

1. halfthrottle

halfthrottle Jamestown, N.D. New Member

Greetings from N.D. I'am a gun nut that shoots pellet rifle and pistol in the winter
    and target rifle and trap in the summer. I have just aquired a M1 Garand and plan to do some open sight shooting. I have done a lot of reloading for bolt acton rifles, now
    looking into loading for the M1. special powders and primers are recomended, has
    any one had a slamfire with regular primers, or should cci #34 primers only be used?
    I don't like surprises, or is mil. ball ammo. the way to go?

2. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

Greetings! I've stuck with Winchester LR primers, and make sure the your primer pockets are cleaned & prepped properly. Also 4895 powder is totally the way to go. Check out culvers shooting page or odcmp for more garand related info.

3. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

Ive stuck with CMP ammo and had no surprises.

;)

4. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

+1!!! If you're not affiliated with a CMP group, do so!! Greek ammo from CMP is well worth the money.

5. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

welcome to NWF ! looks like your getting around just fine + there's more !!

steven

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

When I loaded for my Garand (I sold it years ago) I used W748 powder and it worked great

DCM may still have some good deals on mil surp ammo if you get in line for it

7. halfthrottle

halfthrottle Jamestown, N.D. New Member

Thanks for the info. and the heads up on culvers shooting page, I spent a whole
    evening reading on NW and culvers, just like a good gun show, you run across something and you stop and check it out and visit for a while.

8. Marine Airedale

Marine Airedale Central Oregon Coast Member

It has been a long time since I handloaded for a M1. Used to shoot high power competions many-many moons ago. If memory serves the beasties do not like powders at the slower end of the scale as they well over pressure the gas system. Anything in the 4895 or W748 burn rates should do just fine. Primers should not be an issue just double check for high ones. M1's are really neat machines ... enjoy!