JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I recently turned 21 and purchased my first firearm a couple of days ago. I have shot many handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. at different ranges over the years but I have never owned my own firearm until now.

I decided to purchase something manageable and concealable, as I plan to apply for my Concealed Carry Weapons permit here in Oregon. I also wanted something I can comfortably and confidently shoot and learn on without feeling intimidated by the caliber or size. After some research, I decided to purchase a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm (Performance Center Edition). I went out to the Lebanon Indoor Range today and put around 250 rounds through it. I must say I am really impressed (and slightly in love). I look forward to spending more time at the range!

Cheers,
Zach

Here are some group photos from today:

20 yards

FullSizeRender.jpg

25 yards

IMG_0396.JPG

30 yards

IMG_4400.JPG

Approx. 27 yards

IMG_5423.JPG

Last Edited:
Ditto on the nice shooting! Outstanding performance at those yds with a short barrel and a small grip. You could shoot an eye out at the typical 3-10yd self-defense usage.

Welcome to the Forum Zachary. I love my shield 9mm. Check out the Braids wallet holster for CC. Nice shooting by the way!

Wallet holsters, Holsters by BRAIDS - BRAIDS HOLSTERS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VRAlanIGuIM)

Thanks Larry! I'll check out the wallet holster, although I do prefer to OC outside of the waistband. I find it more comfortable :)

Welcome aboard Zack, congratulations on your first purchase and good shootin' too...

Thanks nammac!

Nice to have you here as a new member of NWFA. I too have a Shield and I really like it, but mine is not the performance center edition.

I have not yet shot the regular Shield 9mm, but I have seen videos saying it's not much different at all when shooting them side by side. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase!

Thank you!

Ditto on the nice shooting! Outstanding performance at those yds with a short barrel and a small grip. You could shoot an eye out at the typical 3-10yd self-defense usage.

Thank you bbbass, towards the end of the day I was shooting a much better group than when I first walked in. I almost feel like it is unreasonable to train at yardages above 25 with this firearm, as it's a compact CC hand gun meant for self-defense.

Thank you bbbass, towards the end of the day I was shooting a much better group than when I first walked in. I almost feel like it is unreasonable to train at yardages above 25 with this firearm, as it's a compact CC hand gun meant for self-defense.

I agree with you there. As an IDPA shooter that uses both full sized pistols and compacts, my experience shows that perfectly. IMO 25yds is common for target shooters and military, but not so much for self defense. Besides if you are 25yds away, you can probably run. At the very least one should be looking for good cover. :)

Welcome. I was born and raised in Corvallis. Glad you're excited to own your own gun. Don't stop Zack, keep on buying. There's a lot more guns out there with your name on em.

Do enjoy your Shield! You can tell I do by my picture...

I absolutely LOVE it :s0010:

Welcome. I was born and raised in Corvallis. Glad you're excited to own your own gun. Don't stop Zack, keep on buying. There's a lot more guns out there with your name on em.

Thank you sir, I see myself investing in quite a few more firearms over the years. I have my eyes on a Glock 19.. :)

Welcome to firearm ownership and NWFA. :)

Thank you!

I put another 150 rounds of steel cased ammo through it today at Mary's Peak (and got stuck in the snow). The Shield 9mm PC performed flawlessly!

Here's a video of a friend shooting it.

I have a non-PC 9mm Shield. It is my EDC year-round. I practice a lot of "double-taps", or "controlled pairs". My target is an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of standard printer paper. Object is to get 2 shots on the paper as quickly as possible. At the indoor range I do this at 7 yrs. At the outdoor range I do this at 10 yards. Its strictly SD practice... cuz its strictly an SD gun.

Welcome aboard, always good to see another local and younger gentleman exercise his rights.

If you ever want to go to ARPC outside of Albany (Shedd actually), look me up. We may be able to schedule a time that works for both. (less travel than Marys Peak).

Welcome aboard, always good to see another local and younger gentleman exercise his rights.

If you ever want to go to ARPC outside of Albany (Shedd actually), look me up. We may be able to schedule a time that works for both. (less travel than Marys Peak).

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I was looking up the schedule for ARPC to see when non-members, like myself, can go shoot.

I'd be up for a good range day anytime. Hopefully the weather has some mercy :(

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I was looking up the schedule for ARPC to see when non-members like myself can go shoot.

I'd be up for a good range day anytime. Hopefully the weather has some mercy :(
It's a members only club so there aren't any public days with one exception: in the fall we do a hunters sight in day where it's like $5/rifle to sight in a rifle. We supply targets, spotters and you show up and shoot. With that said, I enjoy introducing new people to the club to.... well, shoot guns. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews