JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi this is my first post on here and I also just picked up my first rifles last week. I'm a father to three wonderful kids and I think it's time to start teaching them the fun with target shooting with pellet rifles. By I picked up two 22LR rifles for me and the wife to use. Looking forward to getting to learn from every one here and teach my kids at the same time.

20171016_185017.jpg

Welcome!

Find someone willing to go with you the first time or two out or take a class to slingshot your knowledge so you can pass on the finer points while teaching your family the basics.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe;)

I'm not new to being around firearms just new to owning my own rifles. But yes it never hurts to take a refresher course with the boys so they get to learn at the same time. Thank you for the ideas.

I have always wanted to learn how to reload but right now is not the right time I just don't have the space to keep every thing safe and out of reach of the kids. But one day I will learn. I know my grandpa has a couple odd ball rifles that he reloads just because the ammo is hard to find.

Hi this is my first post on here and I also just picked up my first rifles last week. I'm a father to three wonderful kids and I think it's time to start teaching them the fun with target shooting with pellet rifles. By I picked up two 22LR rifles for me and the wife to use. Looking forward to getting to learn from every one here and teach my kids at the same time.

View attachment 398382
I highly recommend the class for kids put on by @LethalLovebird. He teaches gun safety and provides a range experience for about $20 per kid.

Welcome!

On behalf of your family, I'd like to make sure you understand how dangerous it can be in some of the outdoor shooting areas; please feel free to send me or anyone a PM if you have any questions.

"Suffice to say"; on behalf of safety, and because of too many unsafe situations, I chose to buy into a range membership 3 years ago.

Much safer for myself, friends, and family.

Once again, welcome

On behalf of your family, I'd like to make sure you understand how dangerous it can be in some of the outdoor shooting areas; please feel free to send me or anyone a PM if you have any questions.

Excellent point.

Since you are in the Oregon City area, you may have heard of the infamous "36 pit" on Hwy 224 past Estacada. Not the best place to take a family with first time shooters, especially on weekends. In fact I don't like to go there alone myself...think of the creature cantina scene in "Star Wars".
There are better alternatives in that area, if you want to do the public land thing. Also some nicely developed areas out on the West side of town.
You came to the right place to get that info.

Welcome and...AWESOME! no need to rush into anything. Pellets and 22LR is a great way to start. Go at your own pace.
I would suggest taking a CHL safety course or a hunters safety course. Even if you're not ready to get a CHL or hunt, the training is valuable and the certificates generally don't expire, in case you decide to get your concealed permit later on.
But please do....navigate around this forum. There's tons of information posted here, free for the taking. Also, check out the clean ups at the shooting places on BLM land. You can meet a lot of great folks and eat some of the best range food ever. Most of them will be happy to let you try out their guns as well.
Cheers!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR