JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always wanted to learn how to reload but right now is not the right time I just don't have the space to keep every thing safe and out of reach of the kids.
I'll start with Welcome to the Forum! I'd like to suggest you look into the Hunter Ed program. It a good way to start and to meet others in your position.

Greetings program!

I have always wanted to learn how to reload but right now is not the right time I just don't have the space to keep every thing safe and out of reach of the kids. But one day I will learn. I know my grandpa has a couple odd ball rifles that he reloads just because the ammo is hard to find.

Good on ya for thinking of keeping things safe and out of reach!

Ill suggest you think just a little bit more on it, and how you may go about doing so.

Only from the standpoint of the future.

Yah, rite now it's not cost effective to reload (unless one is doing precision work). However if we look to our California neighbors to the south, they are going to be royally screwed as far as ammo prices go come January. Limits, tracking, no online purchases etc etc.

I'd easily see what we are paying today at our local shops (which I see as pricey, cuz I'm frugal), costing them more than double. And they would have zero other options...and that's with the current market being pretty reasonably priced.

Safely taught kids will not mess with stuff they shouldn't, safely stored and they won't be able to anyways, unless they try hard (and then that's up to how you raise them anyways).

Safely stored components will not go bad. Powder, primers & projectiles.

The market on components is pretty decent at the moment, so stock up if you can think on how to safely do so. Keep an eye on hazmat fees, some e-tailers run no hazmat fee deals frequently (Midway comes to mind).

...all so that ten years from now, when you would like to go out shooting with your family some weekend you'll be able to without it costing a fortune.

Excellent point.

Since you are in the Oregon City area, you may have heard of the infamous "36 pit" on Hwy 224 past Estacada. Not the best place to take a family with first time shooters, especially on weekends. In fact I don't like to go there alone myself...think of the creature cantina scene in "Star Wars".
There are better alternatives in that area, if you want to do the public land thing. Also some nicely developed areas out on the West side of town.
You came to the right place to get that info.

I have not heard of this area what's so bad about it? Thanks

Welcome to here the real men hang out! We're friendly people and will go out of our way to help each other without embarrassment. (It is why we're here).

Pull up a stump and become one of the regulars.

Maybe one day I'll join a rifle club or gun range. But for now I honestly just want my kids to learn and also enjoy the out doors and maybe we will see u at on of the clean ups.
Sure. I like clubs because I shoot a lot. I shoot paper not tin cans. And I have a good chance that the people next to me are not hipsters with their first fun gun or a lunatic. Not always but mostly.

Keep it in mind. Someday it might fit and DRRC is near you.

Also there's a Appleseed event this weekend. Looks like at Douglas Ridge.

Great to learn (or reinforce) fundamentals.

You might check it out if you or the wife can go, would give either one of you an excellent base to share with the family.

...unless your kids are old enough to shoot that is. The events are supposedly very family friendly. We've always had scheduling conflicts, so haven't been to one yet, but it's at the top of list when we are able to.

Info:

location | Project Appleseed

Note that S&W 15/22's are no bueno...

I have not heard of this area what's so bad about it? Thanks

Frankly, the main thing is that it is easy to get to and close to the city. This means that anyone with something to shoot shows up there. Not just the families and serious shooters who expect courtesy and adherence to safety and laws, but everybody ..
:s0121::eek:o_O;):s0013::s0012::s0115::s0017::s0021::s0130::s0033::s0041::s0054::s0085::s0079::s0081::s0087::s0090: :s0064::s0066::s0069::s0085::s0098::s0153::s0143: :s0057: :s0148::s0084: etc......
Sooo...When you get there, you never know who's going to be there already..but you will find out. Trash dumpers, gang bangers, punks, drunks, tweakers, geekers, thugs and the occasional few that defy description. They can demonstrate some interesting shooting activities though..the 10 yard Maytag appliance challenge, the half empty Jose Cuervo bottle-skeet relay,
and one of my personal favorites..the 360 degree drum magazine dump.

Then, there is also the consideration of watching your car because the parking area is out of sight of the battlefield.

Don't get me wrong, there are some decent folk that show up there also {including some here on the forum} but they also accept the odds of becoming collateral damage. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I do go up there every now and then to do a quick function check or deflower a new acquisition, but always with a friend for backup.

Sorry if I am too graphic, just my take-away {run away?} impressions.

Last Edited:
Frankly, the main thing is that it is easy to get to and close to the city. This means that anyone with something to shoot shows up there. Not just the families and serious shooters who expect courtesy and adherence to safety and laws, but everybody ..
:s0121::eek:o_O;):s0013::s0012::s0115::s0017::s0021::s0130::s0033::s0041::s0054::s0085::s0079::s0081::s0087::s0090: :s0064::s0066::s0069::s0085::s0098::s0153::s0143: :s0057: :s0148::s0084: etc......
Sooo...When you get there, you never know who's going to be there already..but you will find out. Trash dumpers, gang bangers, punks, drunks, tweakers, geekers, thugs and the occasional few that defy description. They can demonstrate some interesting shooting activities though..the 10 yard Maytag appliance challenge, the half empty Jose Cuervo bottle-skeet relay,
and one of my personal favorites..the 360 degree drum magazine dump.

Then, there is also the consideration of watching your car because the parking area is out of sight of the battlefield.

Don't get me wrong, there are some decent folk that show up there also {including some here on the forum} but they also accept the odds of becoming collateral damage. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I do go up there every now and then to do a quick function check or deflower a new acquisition, but always with a friend for backup.

Sorry if I am too graphic, just my take-away {run away?} impressions.

Honesty and some times even brutal honesty is better then lieing and getting some one hurt. So thank you.

Welcome aboard glad to have you! Project Appleseed is an awesome experience and a great way to learn to shoot the proper way with a real focus on safety. Lethallovebirds is also an awesome avenue for neu to firearms folk, with special focus on the youngster.
Glad you found us, looking forward to seeing you around these here parts, were a great big friendly family here, cut ups and brother feuds and all, but you will not find a more helpful or caring group any where!
WELCOME:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top