JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a new kimber 8400 and am wondering about breaking in the barrel. Kimber doesn't say anything about a barrel break in period. The gun comes with a match grade chamber and barrel. Does this mean that I have to take special steps to properly break in the barrel. There's no "plinking" ammo in 270wsm, so do I need to shoot x number of rounds before the barrel in broken in? Also does anybody have opinions or experience with kimber rifles? :s0131:

There are many different theorys on breaking in a barrel. Some say it is just wasting barrel life and to just shoot it.... Others have complex rituals of shooting x amout of rounds and cleaning untill the barrel shows little to no signs of copper fouling.

Krieger makes some darn good barrels. This is what they have to say:
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

Noveske says just shoot it:
<broken link removed>

There are many different theorys on breaking in a barrel. Some say it is just wasting barrel life and to just shoot it.... Others have complex rituals of shooting x amout of rounds and cleaning untill the barrel shows little to no signs of copper fouling.

Krieger makes some darn good barrels. This is what they have to say:
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

Noveske says just shoot it:
<broken link removed>

+1 what the4thshake posted.

I would say that you should clean the barrel and action out thoroughly before shooting it in case any metal shavings or other stuff got in the gun during shipping.

There's an article about breaking in a barrel in the current American Rifleman. The consensus of the article is that it's not necessary at all. Just start shooting it.

There's an article about breaking in a barrel in the current American Rifleman. The consensus of the article is that it's not necessary at all. Just start shooting it.

I would agree, but for a high-end rifle, I'd probably do a cleaning BEFORE shooting it for the first time.

I know Ruger specifically recommends that for the 10/22, as they ship it with a preservative. Other guns might have minor flecks of metal or other remnants of the manufacturing process. Normally no, but a pre-shooting cleaning can't hurt.

And remember...always clean from the barrel, not the muzzle! ;-)

Almost all pros say that more damage is caused by improper cleaning procedures than by shooting.

As noted above:
1. Always clean from breech.
2. Use a good quality bore guide.
3. Don't drag either the brush, or patch back into the barrel from the muzzle as this can cause an oval wear pattern on the bottom of the muzzle where you drag those items back into the bore after the implement exits, and drops down.
4. Don't scrub the bore brush back and forth in the bore. Go all the way through, remove the brush, and avoid dragging the cleaning rod over the bottom of the muzzle. Doing this avoids buggering up your bore brush, and cleans the direction the bullet travels.

I use a compromise position for break in. I don't go through the entire lengthy break in unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it...then I'll do what they say. Otherwise, I clean first, fire one, clean. Do that a few times. Then shoot 2, clean, do that a few times. Then 3, with the same. Then just start shooting, but avoiding heating up the barrel, and clean every 5-10 rounds for the first 40 rounds or so.

I'm bringing this one back up from the dead, ha!

After reading some articles I decided I'll thoroughly clean the my rifle before shooting it for the first time. Shoot enough to sight in and clean again. Cleaning will be done with the cleaning from the breach rules, bore guide, etc and all that other good stuff. That should make for a rifle accurate enough for hunting.

1 shot clean. 2 shots clean. 3 shots clean. 5 shots clean. Shoot and enjoy. Clean. You'll feel the need to break the weapon in properly if you spent enough money on it. Use a good solvent that will breakdown any copper build up. Every shot you fire for the first dozen is important. You are polishing that barrel. Yeah, clean it before the 1st shot is fired. Then clean it and love it after each use. Amen!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top