JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my new grips for my Ruger GP-100. The original Hogue grips are just a bit too large for me. These are from Altamont and are like the ones that Ruger used to issue with the GP-100. These have the rosewood snakeskin inserts. They fit my hand much better and make it easier when shooting double action. Sorry about my picture taking abilities.

IMG_0935.JPG

Looks good. Thinking I need a slimmmer set of grips for when I carry mine...

Yup, Altamont are the 'aftermarket' supplier of Ruger's grips, ie. anything other than Hogue rubber grips. They do some fine grip options.

Best example i saw them do was the custom grips they made for Ruger's Wiley Clapp edition, so i bought them from Ruger to update my regular GP100.

I swapped to the hogues only because I was using it as a hunting/hiking gun and didn't want to ruin the rosewood.

It changed the grip angle and I had to practice with it until I made the adjustment.

I like the way those Wiley Clapp grips look as well;)

All the talk of Hogue, it's good to remember they make more for the GP100 than just the black rubber grip many of us know. They also make some nice all-wood grips as well in several different styles. If I didn't have this grip, I'd be on the horn to get that Wiley Clapp version.

This is the Hogue grip that came on my GP100:

<broken link removed>

1444400840.800x800.jpg

All the talk of Hogue, it's good to remember they make more for the GP100 than just the black rubber grip many of us know. They also make some nice all-wood grips as well in several different styles. If I didn't have this grip, I'd be on the horn to get that Wiley Clapp version.

This is the Hogue grip that came on my GP100:

<broken link removed>

View attachment 308397

They look really nice but they look as large as the rubber grips that came with my GP-100. I was having trouble with double action shooting because I would have to shift my grip to reach the trigger.

They look really nice but they look as large as the rubber grips that came with my GP-100. I was having trouble with double action shooting because I would have to shift my grip to reach the trigger.

I haven't compared them to the rubber grips so I can't say what difference there may be. But I have smaller hands and find the Hogue wood grips just the right size - single or double action. I was afraid they would be too large, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I have tried just about EVERY grip that's made for the GP100, and I have found that the good old Pachmayr Gripper grip to be the best fit for my medium-sized hand...(After I trimmed the grip a little bit at the upper rear, and down by the trigger-guard.).
Ruger GP100 Combat Magnum.jpg DSC_9355.JPG

I had purchased a set of Pachmayrs from Midway but I ended up sending them back. There was a gap at the top and also by the trigger guard. Also the two halves didn't seem to mate up too well. I guess I could've trimmed them but I ended up just sending them back for a refund.

I had purchased a set of Pachmayrs from Midway but I ended up sending them back. There was a gap at the top and also by the trigger guard. Also the two halves didn't seem to mate up too well. I guess I could've trimmed them but I ended up just sending them back for a refund.

Because the Pachmayr Gripper grip was available a few years ago, I'm guessing that they are made to fit the older GP100. I guess I got lucky, as my Gripper fits my 2011 GP100 perfectly, with just a LITTLE bit of customizing...(I cut the "feet" off the grip, in the area of the bottom of the trigger-guard, and filed-down some of the thickness of the grip at the top rear.). Also, the screw tightness has a lot to do with how the grip fits on the gun...Too tight, and the grip will have a gap, as it will draw the front "seam" apart. Also, since I rounded ALL the sharp-edges from my GP100, I also rounded the edge where the grip meets the frame at the rear of the trigger-guard.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top