JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm Andrew - I live in Portland, but I'm originally from Alaska. I grew up shooting guns, and moved to the city not too long after graduating high school, and haven't bought myself a firearm since I got here in 2009.

I haven't purchased one quite yet, but I'm in the market and it's taking up much of my free time recently just researching and dreaming of what I'll get first. (and second... and third... lol)

I grew up shooting and hunting, but I would consider myself to be very novice when it comes to up-to-date knowledge. I don't know the first thing about what guns are top quality, and which are best to stay away from, and also Where the best place to shop for used and good priced guns. So I decided to join this forum in hopes of learning from the community here in the PNW, and maybe meet some new friends to go shooting with, or just talk with.

Right now I'm really interested in building a gun from a kit, and while I've done a bit of research, I haven't got any suggestions from anyone with personal experience. I love building my own stuff, and I think the process of building my own would be a great learning experience. Hopefully easier on the wallet too, haha. I have a big shop with all the tools I'll need, and I'm a solid craftsmen. I've yet to browse the forums, so forgive me if this is all easily attainable knowledge, but I'd love some feedback from anyone with experience in building, and if there are local build parties happening anytime soon. And if you have no build experience, I'd still love to hear of any suggestions as far as buying used firearms. I imagine used is the way to go to save a little money, and still get a good quality firearm.

I'm interested in both handguns & rifles. Not sure what I'll decide to attain first, but I plan on having many more after my first so I'm not too concerned with which I build/buy first.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

-Andrew

Well I guess I will be the first to welcome you and say I thought building my first AR would be hard but you can pretty much learn anything on YouTube but I also got a book there a lots out there that will show and tell you what you need to know

As for the Wallet it depends you can find cheap stuff all over the place or you could spend thousands of dollars lol I bought my first AR a Armalite then decided to build one now I have built 3 I kinda kept it cheap but some parts you want to get the best you can afford such as BCG AND TRIGGER depends on how much you plan on shooting barrel could either way if you're going to go out every weekend and blast hundreds of rounds through it plan on buying multiple barrel 's I'm no gunsmith just hobby but here is 2 I built on the cheap IMAG0604.jpg IMAG0452.jpg

As for the Wallet it depends you can find cheap stuff all over the place or you could spend thousands of dollars lol I bought my first AR a Armalite then decided to build one now I have built 3 I kinda kept it cheap but some parts you want to get the best you can afford such as BCG AND TRIGGER depends on how much you plan on shooting barrel could either way if you're going to go out every weekend and blast hundreds of rounds through it plan on buying multiple barrel 's I'm no gunsmith just hobby but here is 2 I built on the cheapView attachment 328397 View attachment 328398
Top I just finished for my sister the bottom is mine 300black out

Top I just finished for my sister the bottom is mine 300black out
They both look good, nice job! How much do you think you spent total on one build? My first build I'll probably be pretty cheap with, only because I'm anxious to get started haha- but I know that I'll want to do a higher quality build eventually.

I never really added it up I bought almost everything on line except the lowers off the top of my head I would say 600 bucks well some of the stuff I had from up grades to my other gun I just kept parts and built these not counting the red and the paint for the purple one that duracoat fire arms paint is expensive but you could build one cheaper the UTG FOREND ON THEM IS LIKE 140 BUCKS but too start I bought the cheapest lower I could find Anderson manufacturing 70 bucks you can spend 400 bucks on a lower but why just MIL spec and start I didn't go out and buy it all at once got one or two parts a week or every other week lol

Built over 30 AR15s not much fun anymore, I just built a glock. Its a Gen2 lower(wanted no rail and no finger grooves), alpha wolf fluted barrel, steel guide rod, Primary weapons Systems EDC19 slide w night sights. im happy with it.
Next im building a bolt gun either 6.5creedmore or 6.5grendel I havent decided yet. Gathering more info. currently.

Midway USA sells parts Primary Arms .Sportsman Guide and there are hundreds other places you can order parts from even EBay has parts LOL YOU CAN BUY ANYTHING ON EBAY HEHEH

You said had tools unless you have a machine shop I would stay away from the 80% lowers I built one but I screwed up two lol I'm sure that in the morning when everyone wakes up you will get more reply from guy's or girls who know more than me

An AR-15 is the default first build just because there is so much available. if you are handy with a milling machine 80% lowers are easy to do and really add to the "I built it!!" aspect. If you want a simple build, buy a kit like from Model 1 Sales and a lower and put it together. Those kits come with the upper assembled and head-spaced so you just put the LPK in and mount the upper. I mention Model 1 because their kits are all USA-made parts, reasonably priced and I have been really happy with all three of mine. You will find everyone here to have their favorite vendors and brands of parts.
Welcome to the Forum and Good luck.

And one thing before I go stick to 223 or 5.56 I built the 300 black out and the ammo is expensive if you want to shoot it alot like he said your going to get plenty of advice I have only been on here a week and have got lots of good info welcome and good luck I'm sure we will talk again

Hey thanks for all of the great info EPS & Lilhigbee- I appreciate it. You too FireArm. I'm already delving into suggestions.
Haha Saxon, that's good stuff. To answer your question simply- There isn't any one build that I want to do. It will be my first build so I want to start with one that will be easier for me, and then go from there moving on to more difficult builds. So far, it seems to me that AR is the way to go for a successful first build.

just to stir the pot and to further the discussion, what are you really wanting to build?
View attachment 328405

Thats no joke

if building an AK with out a press you use a big hammer. 80% receivers. Require being bent by press into jigs watch a You Tube video them Trigger holes heat treated rails welded support installed watch another You Tube video Demilling the kit pressing out pins rivets the barrel watch a another You Tube video then pressing it all back together with rivets that require a jig or press watch a another You Tube video or making your one tools watch another You Tube video head spacing a new barrel if applicable. watch another You Tube video Takes about a day if demilling and building from a flat .

Building an ar15 Or should I say assembling an Ar15 is buying a kit a few simple tools and watching a You Tube Video and whola done in about an .45 minutes , an hour if you decide to build a sandwhich while your at it

If building from a 80% receiver watch a another you tube video use a drill press or mill cut out pockets drill a few holes and it done maybe 3 hours

Thats no joke

if building an AK with out a press you use a big hammer. 80% receivers. Require being bent by press into jigs watch a You Tube video them Trigger holes heat treated rails welded support installed watch another You Tube video Demilling the kit pressing out pins rivets the barrel watch a another You Tube video then pressing it all back together with rivets that require a jig or press watch a another You Tube video or making your one tools watch another You Tube video head spacing a new barrel if applicable. watch another You Tube video Takes about a day if demilling and building from a flat .

Building an ar15 Or should I say assembling an Ar15 is buying a kit a few simple tools and watching a You Tube Video and whola done in about an .45 minutes , an hour if you decide to build a sandwhich while your at it

If building from a 80% receiver watch a another you tube video use a drill press or mill cut out pockets drill a few holes and it done maybe 3 hours

Thanks for the info Eldibillbo - Puts things into perspective for me. I think I want to build and AR15 from an 80% receiver, but still open to other suggestions/options.

Lol glad I decided to build a AR and buy my AK47 that sounds like a lot of work but if you go on the forum where they are talking bout the preacher that cut up the AR and made garden tools someone posted pictures of a AK that a guy made out of 1 or 2 shovel 's lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top