JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey there,

Nice site you all have, thanks!

As the title states, I'm a transplant from Massachusettes. This is my 2nd attempt at making a go at living out this way. Been out here about a year now this time & I'm liking the Salem area.

Lived up in Tigard for about a year & a half around 2008/9. Liked it up that way too, but find it down here in Salem better (IMO).

My brother was diagnosed with an oddball/aggressive form of Cancer (for his age) in Jan '09-Multiple Myeloma. They figured he had about 3years given the stage & form, so I moved back to the Boston area in March '09 to spend time with him & give a hand.

He passed at home in the early hours of 2/28/12 after just starting home hospice. Our folks were up visiting, so they were there, which was nice. I think he was trying hard to make it to the 29th...

Anyways, it was a while before I could find a compareable job out this way again. Still took a pay cut, but with the lower cost of living here it's pretty close.

I'm looking to get into shooting as a hobby, with a goal of getting my CHL by the end of this year. I figure the CHL would be handy to have for my other major interest - outback car camping (overlanding). I also figure the CHL would be handy for me to have, so that I wouldn't risk losing a hefty $ investment due to confiscation from something silly like a traffic stop/ranger,OSP, deputy visit --along with the likely criminal charges.

I'm first to admit that I have a heck of a lot to learn to be a safe/responsible gun owner.

This site is a wealth of info, so again thanks!

Welcome to the forum, and back to the NW (even though you've been here a while). Sorry about your brother.

Sounds like you're already on your way in your research, there is a lot of good info here. Take your time and if possible, before you buy a gun, try them out first, either go out shooting with a friend or go to a range that rents guns. You'll be a lot happier if you make your choice that way.

And if I can share a request, when the election comes, vote pro-gun, we need as many pro-gun folks in the capital as possible, this election more than ever.

Thanks!

& thanks for the tips. I have some ideas in regards to carry, & will give them a try if the local range happens to have them.

As for voting...absolutely no worries there! Coming from a very restricted state (Mass), I never bothered getting into this as a hobby, let alone getting a permit to carry.

Where I lived in metro Boston it was (my understanding) a near no-go & cost prohibitive. Sad.

Goofy regulations to even buy ammo if I recall correctly.

I missed out on registering for the primary by 4 days, but I did get my confirmation post card. So I'm set for November.

It took me a long while to get my truck plated back here, and I just got my "paper" OR drivers license (the real ones in the mail).

Will be great weather this weekend & super to catch up on some chores!

High on the list is airing out my camper. "Bit" of mold inside due to being closed up since last year.

First strike: fabreze & airing it out for the day. Depending if it's still "funky" tomorrow, I'll try Lysol or maybe some of that tent treatment enzyme type stuff - REI will likely have some. I've had luck with the enzyme stuff on other gear in the past.

Picture post test:

Oops, let me try this...

24843C64-353F-4289-B1F5-9498FF922B5A_zps0nszkes6.jpg

I would suggest you look at the combined Oregon & Utah concealed classes as Washington reciprocates with Utah along with many other states and you get more bang for your bucks compared to just a Washington permit.

I would suggest you look at the combined Oregon & Utah concealed classes as Washington reciprocates with Utah along with many other states and you get more bang for your bucks compared to just a Washington permit.

Thanks for the tip! It'd be a huge oops to be on a camping trip up in Washington...and then to find out I'm "not valid". Will do.

Thanks & agree!

Got my for real drivers license in the mailbox, so went for a trip to Bi-Mart yesterday for there low cost ammo. Never shopped at one before.

While there I noticed that there handgun pricing was pretty darned good.

The staff I worked with was very knowledgeable, 8 years guard duty, had experience with all the handguns they carry.

Came home with a Ruger LC9S at $130 less than MSRP...very very pleased.

Nice, they are a good, reliable, handgun!

My sympathys for the loss of your brother, I hope he didn't suffer.
Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it!:)

Nice, they are a good, reliable, handgun!

My sympathys for the loss of your brother, I hope he didn't suffer.
Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it!:)

Thanks!

He was one tough guy with an awesome attitude & sense of humor.

Initially the tumors collapsed a few vertebrae, they stuck balloons in there jacked them up & then cemented them. Never became wheelchair bound.

Worked when he could, did his hobbies when he could.

Never missed a round of chemo, radiation or transfusion(s) until his last week. 2, 3 sometimes 4 times a week. Probably transfused several hundred blood products or more over his course.

Went thru an auto (self) bone marrow / stem cell transplant. Weeks in the hospital there. Worked to stave off the cancer for a short while, but couldn't find a suitable match for a non-self transplant.

There's been a few advancements in the treatment of MM in the short time since he passed, and I like to think he (along with all the other brave folks who endure clinical trials) had a hand in helping others.

Good job! Now get your OR and UT concealed permits and you'll be good to go! Make sure you understand WA regs as they have a few odd things like not carrying in liquor bars.

Thanks! & thanks on the individual state regs to be mindful of. I rarely drink, and wouldn't consider it armed (locked up in the truck safe & have a beer...maybe), however I do enjoy eating out especially while traveling. That'd suck to roll into a local pub for a good burger fries & 3 diet cokes only to find out I committed a serious infraction.

Didn't really know about the Utah option until you all here had mentioned it, that's on the to do now though. ?Arizona might be a while down the road, no trips planned for ?NM / ?Nevada...YET!

It looks like I have a few local class options, not sure what else is available within an hours drive. How soon will depend on class availability & work schedule--I work odd hours a week on & off. So I hope to get in on one of the next few class cycles.

Goal being having my paperwork in by the end of the year.

where abouts in salem are u located if u dont mind? im in north keizer so we're not too far away

Not at all.

I'm in North East Salem, spitting distance to the Keizer line. Friends & coworkers think it's a bad area, but my neighborhood is nice. Mostly single family homes with a few duplexes and a large & small apartment complex.

As far as nonviolent crime goes probably much higher percentage than Salem proper, South & West combined. Don't know about Keizer. Nothing as far as violent crime in my area. Knock on wood.

...comparatively there was probably a higher incidence of violent crime within ten miles of my house back East (near the Boston city line) than in the entire state of Oregon annually. Just population density along with libtard regs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top