JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just buy a Savage 110/111 action, an ER Shaw 338-06 barrel and .35 Whelen barrel (etc, etc), an action wrench, a barrel nut wrench and you can have whatever caliber you want, on whatever day you want :D

I got the 338-06 barrel for mine and it loves 200gr bullets, but I couldn't get any good groups with 225gr. I have some 250gr, but if it won't shoot the 225gr, I don't want to bother wasting the powder. Maybe when it powder becomes more available, I'll do some more load development with it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice. If I had to do it again, I'd still go for the 338, simply for the large supply/selection of bullets

I've been considering a .375 H&H or weatherby.If you're looking for some serious thump.
brass is easy to find in stock most places, ammo isn't that bad either of couse you can fire form the H&H into a weatherby, little cheaper that way. Nice heavy bullets, suitable for bagging cadillacs and low flying aircraft. When the Nazi swat team (or other looters)shows up at your door one shot will cause them to reevaluate their strategies.

pretty good on large dangerous game too, bears, mooses, elephants, T rex.

I speak for myself but I have never found anything in the lower 48 and I have hunted a place or two that required a 375 H&H to safely hunt it. I have a brand new magnum action in my gun cabinet with intents someday of building a 375 H&H or better but I can't find a reason for building it other than saying I want one and lately my wallet cant support that justification. I have had multiple 35 Whelens and 338-06's and a single 9.3X62 - choose one - it will handle most anything you will run into down here. I settled on a 338-06 and my 9.3X62. IMHO

:(I will have more time to think about this as the build has been postponed. Maybe it can be a winter project.
I hate it when that happens! Just when ya wanna get going, something gets in the way...

I'd go with a 338 for the greater bullet selection, high SD and flatter trajectory. I've been thinking of a .338 Federal in a compact mountain rifle.
A friend of mine in South Carolina built one for his son. Says it just flattens the whitetails out there, even the big ones.

I had a chance to pick up a nice 220 swift and a Ruger mark II target at a great price. That is where my build money went. So I am not upset by the push back.

Well an unexpected turn of events. I just traded a Remington 660 308 for a Remington 700 BDL 35 Whelen. I am still going to build a 338-06 in the future . So I guess that my question in my original post has been answered. GET BOTH!!

Thanks for all of the input.

I had an option at one of those a few years ago. Even though the 700s are a great, and often beautiful rifle, just not my flavor.
Feel free to tell me how my bigotry kept me from a great rifle.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads