JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...same as the old boss. :(

Actually, a little worse.

The former sheriff Gordon recently passed the baton to [the now new] sheriff Pat Garrett.

I called down to the Washington County sheriff's office to inquire of his policy regarding issuing CHL's to border state residents, and it hasn't changed. A border-state resident must have a compelling business interest in Washington County before they would even consider it. I was sure to clarify with the clerk that Sheriff Garrett was the one who made that decision to continue the trend.

Don't these people read the document they swore to uphold? If someone passes the background check and they've proven basic handgun safety by taking a class from a certified instructor (even though none of those things have anything to do with the 2A), who cares where they're from? Why not take the money for the county? There's no logic to it.

Another unfortunate thing is (more than likely effecting mainly WA county residents) Sheriff Garrett has decided to NOT accept online training certificates.

Thankfully, there's sheriffs like Glenn Palmer in Grant County Oregon who take their oath to the Constitution seriously.

Notable mentions are Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton and Josephine County Gil Gilbertson who will issue to border state residents as well.

Well, Oregon law does say that issuing to out of state residents is optional, not mandatory like it is for OR residents.

Since we have a WA business license and do business in OR I guess that qualifies anyway but I go through Multnomah County.

Hahns, You got no hassle in Multnomah County? You just did the application and submitted your proof of training and they issued the permit?

I'm a WA resident and I've never had any problem going through Multnomah Co. I do have a business license and when they required a letter from your employer I just wrote my own. I don't think they require that now though. Simple and quick too.

Yup.... sounds like good old WaRshington Co. The new guy fits the good ol boy club from the sounds of it. Speaking of Washington County.... one of their deputies got on the max tonight to check tickets.... he saw my monthly all zone pass and asked me if the card was signed. I was like huh? and I said no.... he pulled his pen out and made me sign it. I told him it's not like someone is gonna return my pass if I loose it lol..... you should have seen the tri-met ticket inspector too.... he was all excited looking to have a cop backing him up hahahahahah boot licker. So in the process of showing the deputy my pass at the beginning, I made sure he could see my CHL :p

For those of you that applied for a non resident CHL from Multnomah county how long did the process take you. I sent my application in early last week and was wondering how long the whole thing takes. I am spending a few days in Oregon early next month and was hoping that I might have my CHL by then.

Those losers turned me down , even though I previously had an out-of-state and in-state WA Co CHL.. Rob Gordon was a decent guy, but the new sheriff really sucks... Suppose Grant Co, even Malheur Co near Idaho is issuing out of state permits. Living in Idaho I need to get myself an out-of-state permit and don't want to drive 4 hours to Grant County. It's sad how the state of Oregon doesn't believe in the constitutional rights of American citizens.

For those of you that applied for a non resident CHL from Multnomah county how long did the process take you. I sent my application in early last week and was wondering how long the whole thing takes. I am spending a few days in Oregon early next month and was hoping that I might have my CHL by then.

I don't know if the process is different for a non-res than a resident of Mult county or not. Being a resident, I took my paper work in to the the sheriffs office, had an email the next day with a date about three weeks off to get printed. After getting printed it took three weeks, even though they told me 4-6 weeks. So I 'spose the entire process from delivery of application to permit in hand was about six weeks.

Mike

Why would you want a Utah permit to use in WA? especially if you are a WA resident. The Utah permit cost 2X what a WA permit cost. The Utah permit requires an expensive training course, and takes several weeks to arrive after everything is filled out and sent in.

WA permit, walk into your Sheriff's office, fill out one sheet of paper, if you are getting your first permit, have your fingerprints scanned, renewal you don't need the fingerprints..pay $55.25 and walk out. Takes all of 15 minutes, license comes in the mail in a few days (not weeks)

Now did his daddy just tell him when he was a lil' whipper snapper he would be a sheriff?

You're kidding,Pat Garrett?

Oye vey

And I kinda gave up on most of the sheriffs giving us permits.
But thanks for asking about it for us (or to see what kind of guy he was)

Why not?? A Utah permit is good in many states.. Maybe the person wants to travel outside WA, where a Utah permit would be valid in several states. WA permits are great though, so easy to get.. They'll even laminate the thing for you if you ask.. The only thing I hate about WA permit is their awkward size.. I mean they are so big and clunky, you cannot fit them in ur wallet easily, yet they demand you carry your permit with you everywhere, which is stupid.

Why would you want a Utah permit to use in WA? especially if you are a WA resident. The Utah permit cost 2X what a WA permit cost. The Utah permit requires an expensive training course, and takes several weeks to arrive after everything is filled out and sent in.

WA permit, walk into your Sheriff's office, fill out one sheet of paper, if you are getting your first permit, have your fingerprints scanned, renewal you don't need the fingerprints..pay $55.25 and walk out. Takes all of 15 minutes, license comes in the mail in a few days (not weeks)

Why not?? A Utah permit is good in many states.. Maybe the person wants to travel outside WA, where a Utah permit would be valid in several states. WA permits are great though, so easy to get.. They'll even laminate the thing for you if you ask.. The only thing I hate about WA permit is their awkward size.. I mean they are so big and clunky, you cannot fit them in ur wallet easily, yet they demand you carry your permit with you everywhere, which is stupid.

A Utah permit is good in WY...You can also OC in WY, no need for a permit. Utah is good in Colorado...but you have to be a resident of UT..so that doesn't count...NV does not accept UT but allows OC, neither does OR (also allows OC, but I am eligable for an CHL anyway) or CA, well no-one gets to carry in CA....In the western states, WA is just as good as UT, a lot less expensive and a lot less hassel. I can still go to ID and MT, just like with a UT...and I can make it almost to NY (IL accepts no-ones) without any worry..PA? Also OC states...and as I most OC anyway, bothers me not a bit.

That I cannot carry in NY does bother me, but we will have to wait for the Courts to fix that. NY does not have a "right" to bear arms in their state constitution and their firearms "possession" (let alone carry) laws really stink.

Hey Deen, sorry about the old post bump.
How strong a justification does Multnomah require?

Otherwise, (to all on the forum) which county is currently a good one to get a CHL through (as an out-of-state resident)? I have called a number of them today, and they seem to think that you must own property, have a business, or something similar. Bah Humbug!

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Deen, sorry about the old post bump.
How strong a justification does Multnomah require?

Otherwise, (to all on the forum) which county is currently a good one to get a CHL through (as an out-of-state resident)? I have called a number of them today, and they seem to think that you must own property, have a business, or something similar. Bah Humbug!

Thanks,

Mike

The best county is Grant Co. App is online along with instructions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top