JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WOW. I had no problems with the jig itself. I did have operator error (brain phart) when drilling the 3/8 pilot hole and elongated the guide (dull bit) but other than that it worked flawless but I did notice that when I did get a bit aggressive a few times the end mill did chatter a bit.... I don't know what to say other than the router collet was the culprit.
I am satisfied with mine. I am selling the Makita router because I just do not like it, I'll spend a few $$$ more for the Dewalt.

Last Edited:
Well considering a good end mill in that size cost me about twice what that whole setup cost. If the jig is really working that well for you, invest in a good end Mill. I've had pretty good luck with grizzly sets if your looking for a decent priced replacement. I have a Bridgeport so I can be pretty rough on end mills and grizzly's has held up well.
Well, as it stands, while the setup is impressive, this revolutionary mill end made it to the second hash mark of the first pins.

This is the 4th lower I'm milling out, with the same equipment, except using a 5d tactical setup

View attachment 357663

I too was getting a little more chatter on my 3rd lower. Talk to Andy.;)

Well considering a good end mill in that size cost me about twice what that whole setup cost. If the jig is really working that well for you, invest in a good end Mill. I've had pretty good luck with grizzly sets if your looking for a decent priced replacement. I have a Bridgeport so I can be pretty rough on end mills and grizzly's has held up well.

Well so far my end mill is G2G on 3 lowers, will tell on the next one....
I would think Espire's problem with the end mill slippage may have been operator error but I was not there...

3 forged lowers with a end mill is like cutting a piece of paper with scissors and then having to sharpen the scissors. I have milled a dozen billet lowers and is still razor sharp. I don't blame the jig company, can't expect people to pay $150 dollars for a jig and then $300 for a single end mill.
Well so far my end mill is G2G on 3 lowers, will tell on the next one....
I would think Espire's problem with the end mill slippage may have been operator error but I was not there...

Another big thing is depth of the cut to the speed of the end mill to the type of material your cutting. He could be heating up the bit because he's moving the router to quickly into the cut.

Are you climb milling ? @Caveman Jim

climb milling:: A milling application in which the cutter rotation is in the same direction as the feed at the point of contact. Climb milling tends to pull the workpiece into the cutter, which decreases feed forces and power consumption.

It's harder to do with a hand held for sure but you'll get a finer finish on the aluminum with climb milling vs traditional milling. I climb mill for the very last cut on the walls of the trigger pockets.

It depends on the spiral cut of the end mill your using and the rotation of the drill/router/mill your using. You can tell right away if your using a hand router in one of those jigs. It will will try to pull the router quickly in the direction your cutting. Most instruction will always have you mill/cut in the downward cut to not allow the material to get away from the user. Using a traditional mill with a X - Y table and a milling vise, it's much easier to climb cut safety and get amazing results.

@KeepnitReel Am I understanding right that in this case, climb milling means clockwise rotation with the router same as the bit (left closer to you, right far-side, forward on the right and back on the left) or do I have this backward?

Another big thing is depth of the cut to the speed of the end mill to the type of material your cutting. He could be heating up the bit because he's moving the router to quickly into the cut.

Are you climb milling ? @Caveman Jim

climb milling:: A milling application in which the cutter rotation is in the same direction as the feed at the point of contact. Climb milling tends to pull the workpiece into the cutter, which decreases feed forces and power consumption.

It's harder to do with a hand held for sure but you'll get a finer finish on the aluminum with climb milling vs traditional milling. I climb mill for the very last cut on the walls of the trigger pockets.

Just cutting counter clockwise in small incriminates like the instructions say.;)

So talked with Andy at 5D tactical.
We worked something out, as there are several factors that could have played a part (On both ends).

I did advise I would be using the dewalt router, and will be milling a new lower from 5D.

Will do a new write up when I mill out the new lower.

So talked with Andy at 5D tactical.
We worked something out, as there are several factors that could have played a part (On both ends).

I did advise I would be using the dewalt router, and will be milling a new lower from 5D.

Will do a new write up when I mill out the new lower.

Fair enough. The Dewalt has a light that helps a lot, I have the Makita (that is for sale now) & had to wear a headlamp but it was a pain to keep light on the work.

FYI - due to popular demand, we recently released an All-Aluminum version of our AR-15 80% Lower Jig. Introductory price is $149.99. Our Heavy-Duty Steel side plates and drill guide are still available through an upgrade option.

This All-Aluminum version will be ideal for customers who don't need or want the Heavy-Duty Steel components because they are either utilizing a drill press for the drilling portion of the process, are on a budget, or who simply don't plan on completing a lot of 80% lowers to where they feel the steel is necessary.

You asked, we answered. The $149.99 5D Tactical Jig...

Last Edited:
FYI - due to popular demand, we recently released an All-Aluminum version of our AR-15 80% Lower Jig. Introductory price is $149.99. Our Heavy-Duty Steel side plates and drill guide are still available through an upgrade option.

This All-Aluminum version will be ideal for customers who don't need or want the Heavy-Duty Steel components because they are either utilizing a drill press for the drilling portion of the process, are on a budget, or who simply don't plan on completing a lot of 80% lowers to where they feel the steel is necessary.

You asked, we answered. The $149.99 5D Tactical Jig...

Will your end mill work with another brand's jig?

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top