Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need Some Remington 1100 Help, Quick!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Jul 26, 2012.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I've been on the search for another barrel for my 1100 12ga. for a while now, so I can cut one of them down to 18". My gun is chambered for 2 3/4" shells right now. I found a old, but new barrel for $55, problem is, it is a 3" chamber. Through my horrible internet research, I've found that it will work with my receiver, but that I really should only shoot 3" shells with it.

I'm looking for some more input on this, before I buy it tomorrow. Will the rest of my gun handle the 3" shells?

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll shoot enough 2¾" shells in it to hurt.

3. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

You can always shoot 2 3/4 shells through a 3" barrel. The problem with the 1100 barrels is the 3" barrels have a small "gas port" hole to regulate the amount of gas escaping to operate the action. Buy the barrel for $50 (thats a steal) and shoot some of your preferred ammo (probably full house slugs or buck?) and see if it will function. If it does not (I bet it will) function send me a PM and I will walk you through how to "fix" it!!!.......good luck.......

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

the rule of thumb is to shoot the ammo the receiver was designed for.

5. RedneckRampage

Thanks for the replies. I just bought the $55 barrel, tonight I'll see if it fits.

6. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I have a Rem. mod 1100 and it shoots both 2 3/4 and 3 inch. That is what it said in the manual when I bought it 33 years ago.

7. RedneckRampage

The new barrel fits great. I decided to cut the old one, since the new one is longer, so better for hunting. The original is now 18 5/8", I cut it at the closest rib post and still be legal. Now I need a blued mag extension!